Author Topic: Christmas Market  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Weebleman

Christmas Market
« on: May 28, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10445689.Business_groups_aim_to_rescue_Swindon_s_Christmas_market/

:WTF: Unbelievable......... Clowns......

Looks like a trip to Cirencester again this year then.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Re: Christmas Market
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/10286244.Christmas_in_Cirencester_to_be_scaled_back_this_year/

It will not be much of an event in Ciren either. What about a couple of bratwurst and some Gluhwien from Aldi's in front of the telly instead? A fraction of the price and you get to stay warm.
What's it all about?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
Mit senf

or 800ml of curry ketchup from Amazon.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/10286244.Christmas_in_Cirencester_to_be_scaled_back_this_year/

It will not be much of an event in Ciren either. What about a couple of bratwurst and some Gluhwien from Aldi's in front of the telly instead? A fraction of the price and you get to stay warm.

:agreed: thanks for the invitation OOT  :laugh:  :2funny:

Mart: too much of that stuff and you'll be putting all that weight back on!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
Hahaha :) -  'Resident' Diane Rodgers....

...if memory serves correctly, (and I'm not often wrong where names and faces are concerned), 'resident' Diane Rogers would be Diane Rogers, Olive Donachies mate and fellow conservative activist and election candidate - both of whom stood for election in the Rodbourne Cheney ward during the 2012 all-out local elections and one of whom made some regrettable public comments about the ward residents after they, (the real residents), decide not to elect either of them.

I also seem to remember she was quite gobby about yours truly - joining in with the herd I expect, but it made me chuckle nevertheless :)  I don't believe in Karma as such but I do have some faith in it's poor relation 'What goes around comes around' so, when it suits, I'll give that particular wheel a little help rotating.

Anyhow, it seems that market traders don't trust the council.  That won't come as any surprise to those Swindon traders who found themselves 'economically cleansed' from the town centre by exactly the same local politicians who had deliberately and systematically changed the rules in order to get rid of street traders, but are now gurning in the Adver as they try to entice other street traders into invest risking their trust, their money and the future of their own businesses on the say-so of the same group of Clowncillors who created the problem in the first place.  Not that any of them will admit that the town centre continues to suffer the ill effects of their own politically myopic fuckwittage.

It would be funny if it didn't so perfectly illustrate what happens when enough room temperature IQ's get control a local council and not enough of the opposition can be bothered to care.

I'll be doing my Christmas shopping elsewhere again this year.

Offline Tig

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:02:49 PM »
I quite fancy Belgium ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
Now there's a phrase you don't hear too often.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »

Bonkers II contained a satirically serious message about the councils treatment of Swindon street traders.  6 minutes in is about where the councils war on doughnut and burger sellers gets the Vile treatment.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/x2O20jhjYPs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/x2O20jhjYPs</a>

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
Just couldn't let it lie .............

Probably fair though, been too quiet for too long.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »

Doughnuts.  Someone has to defend the doughnuts from the donuts and the burgers from the burghers.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:28 PM »
The organisation charged with managing the town centre, InSwindon, demonstrate a mind set which offers little hope for their future. Faced with the challenge of organising a Christmas Market their immediate response is ‘it can’t be done’ – six months is simply not enough time and ‘the proposed market will be in the wrong place’. Just how negative can they be?

I suspect the real reason why InSwindon is unwilling as opposed to being unable to establish a Christmas Market, appears to be the Council’s reluctance to cave in to the demand that Canal Walk be offered as the only viable location. Many people will agree with the Council as the damage caused to the area by traders on their last visit was totally unacceptable as was the inconvenience created by blocking a main thoroughfare.

Wharf Green is the designated area for such markets and if arranged properly with authentic Christmas themed stalls occupying nice chalet style cabins as opposed to the cheap looking garden sheds used on the last occasion, I am sure a Christmas Market will be a success. 

However, if the concept of a Christmas Market envisaged by InSwindon is nothing more than ‘cheap and cheerful Charlie’s tacky market stall’ or an overpriced hot dog stand then it would be better if we left the area clear for local choirs and bands to serenade visitors with yuletide carols.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:32 PM »
My bold emphasis:

http://www.swindontowncentre.co.uk/inSwindon/

InSwindon is a Business Improvement District (BID) company, in charge of managing the Town Centre. We are mainly financed by our members – the businesses based in the centre of Swindon, who voted to establish a BID in Swindon in 2007. In February 2012 inSwindon were successful in the renewal of the ballot which will allow us to deliver our five-year programme to support and increase visitors, footfall and spending.

Let us not forget that the 'members' of the Swindon Business Improvement District were instrumental in lobbying Swindon Borough Councillors to remove and ban street legitimate street traders from the town centre.

The BID members claimed that the street traders 'enjoyed' a commercial advantage over its members - presumably because the overheads of the street traders were lower than businesses in fixed retail units.

Does anyone really think that Inswindon or the BID members really want 10 times the previous number of street traders in the town centre during the busiest few weeks of the year?

Likewise, does anyone really think Inswindon or the Bid members really want to see a proper weekly market sited anywhere near 'their' patch?

The Bid Mafia members do want to see greater footfall and spending.........but only in their shops. :popcorn:

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »
The problem is that we have a number of different organisations who appear to have different aims and in conflict with each other

1.  Emma F et al who supposedly represent Joe Public but more interested in making headlines and getting in the paper

2. InBid Swindon who represent the town centre shops but do not seem to see the bigger picture that they need to be creative and consider anything which gets extra footfall.

3. The council who seem to enforce policy rather realise they should be enablers making things happen

4. ForwardSwindon who seem to be so engrossed in the bigger picture they can't deliver anything

What is needed is a proper and realistic strategy produced jointly by all these people which has a clear short and long term vision of how you can create quality footfall in the Town centre and making going into the Town centre a pleasant and quality  experience.  This strategy needs to be produced and owned by all of the above.

If I was in charge I would for instance
  • look at creating a fun land train which goes from the town centre to outlet centre.  I think this will actually generate extra footfall and spend  for both the town/outlet centre
  • try and introduce some fun quirky independant shops and cafes
  • look at getting some kind of shopping expert Mary Portas to help to rebrand the town and attract quality shoppers (not chavs going to poundland
Rant over! Discuss...

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
"Does anyone really think that Inswindon or the BID members really want 10 times the previous number of street traders in the town centre during the busiest few weeks of the year?"  They might if they thought it would attract 10 times the shoppers?

Emma F et al who supposedly represent Joe Public  Does she? Who gave her that job then?

"look at getting some kind of shopping expert Mary Portas to help to rebrand the town and attract quality shoppers"   Looks like she's failing dismally too - see news this morning.

Everyone keeps on about the Chav's in town, as they are so say the only one's using it, give it up to them, bring on the shops we can actually afford to shop in! With no queues' - because whenever I go in there, despite all the chat about it not being used - there is always a flipping queue to stand in. 

Where are these Chav's coming from because apparently they don't walk anywhere, if they are chavs, I take it they are not expected to have their own transport, how the heck can they afford the bus fares? 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
The organisation charged with managing the town centre, InSwindon, demonstrate a mind set which offers little hope for their future. Faced with the challenge of organising a Christmas Market their immediate response is ‘it can’t be done’ – six months is simply not enough time and ‘the proposed market will be in the wrong place’. Just how negative can they be?

Spot on Des. "Not fit for purpose" comes to mind -- if they ever had a real purpose!

I think COOT's post describes the four-ring, clown populated circus that we now have quite well. The lack of cooperation and coordination between these groups does nothing to improve Swindon's facilities or dispel its image of being a "dump". If they can't organise a couple dozen wooden sheds and a market in 6/7 months, what hope is left?

Nope! Cirencester again for me this year OOT, even with it's reduced festivities.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
You will be most welcome Weeble.

I shall go and pinch a festive Yule Log so that I can dry it out in time for us to sit by it's radiant glow, grilling Bratwurst and warming the Gluhwien.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »
Can I come, I can probably bring some apple wood and a cherry branch, I won't eat much 'cause I don't know what you are talking about but it sounds a bit spicy to me and I don't drink much either.

I love virtual parties - Perhaps we could have a virtual Christmas Market, where would you like it? What stalls would you like?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
Ah Muggins, the delight of the German sausage or "wurst" as Johnny Foreigner deigns to call it. The are so many I don't know them all but Bockwurst and Bratwurst tend to be more common although of course Frankfurter is more common still but is not strictly speaking a wurst. They are not at all spicy.

http://www.germanfoodguide.com/wurstcategory.cfm

Gluhwien is a wine (wien) much like a mulled wine and drunk at Christmas. At a "Christmas Market" in the UK you could easily pay £3 for a Bratwurst and another £2.50 to £4 for some Gluhwein. Alternatively you could buy enough of both, for the whole family, from Aldi or Lidl for that price.

Certain ex military people have pleasant but vague memories of weaving their way back to barracks in Germany, stopping only for a Currywurst and chips at the stall outside the main gate, before retiring to bed. Not me of course but I think I vaguely remember seeing Boots partaking!

(Yes a Brastwurst with curry sauce on is a "Currywurst". It's as far as German cuisine got towards a good Indian takeaway.)

A virtual Christmas, Oh yes! I want a new van, Weebleman will probably settle for his first ever train set.
What's it all about?

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »
Once again ... it's sad to read comments that are directed towards those who spend money in the 'cheaper' shops in town. I am not a CHAV (whatever that is in the mind of a correspondent above?) ... I am a pensioner, on a fixed income mind you, and I am quite respectable, and what's more ... I actually appreciate the Pound Shops and the 99P shops and the Iceland, Farm Foods and so on, and I AM NOT ALONE in this I can assure you!

I play bowls with several 'well-heeled' and fiancially astute elderly people who know the value of a quid, and they have been 'spotted' in the cheap shops as well as the M & S / Debenhams types of retail operations. If you are happy to pay through the nose for many products, it shows that you are unable to see to the end of your snout, I am sad to say?  Reduced prices are merely less shareholder profits, but of course, that may be your gripe as you probably have many shares in top priced establishments.

My point is, that competition should be there for all, but the Christmas 'huts' are temporary and should not really be given preferential treatment over stallholders who are traditionally on site throughout the year, i.e. the flower sellers of old.  Having checked out many Christmas  huts in many locations, I feel that they certainly DO NOT make Christmas, but as Salisbury Chamber said, it really increased their footfall when they gained from Swindon's loss, I guess?

Not all cheap shop customers are 'Chavs!!!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:37:28 AM »
Me too, when I get in there.  When in the queue, I can't see a particular class of people in it, seems just like any other queue to me.

When I've walked through town the people look just the same odd mix,  as those I've seen in other city centre's around Britain, and yes, I have been to a few of them. 

I don't get why a few think both town and pound shops are full of Chav's.  Shrewd shoppers I'd say.