Author Topic: 17th May 2013 Annual Swindon Borough Council Meeting - Videos  (Read 7203 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Annual Swindon Borough Council Meeting 11th April 2013 - Videos 1 and 2

These supporting documents are available for download from the SBC website:

To easily find a particular point of interest please note that each agenda item is preceded by a time in brackets, e.g: [20:30:31], and that each video shows a time stamp in the bottom right hand corner.  This is the time the recording was taken at the meeting and the agenda items below are annotated with these times to facilitate finding points of interest in the video.

Please ignore the Youtube video time which shows only the length of the video.

Video Part 1: Agenda Items 1 to 3 - Annual Meeting Of Swindon Borough Council 2013 17 05 Part 1 - 'Mayor Making'

1. [14:51:10] Apologies for Absence

2. [14:51:37] To elect a qualified person to be Mayor of the Borough for the Municipal Year, 2013/14

3. [15:22:06] To elect a qualified person to be Deputy Mayor of the Borough for the Municipal Year, 2013/14

Quality Available: 240, 360, 480, 720p HD, 1080p HD

Q: 'Can I download it?' - Yes, click the 'view on youtube' link and download from there.

Duration 39 minutes 44 seconds

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XO7bKCbOUVU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XO7bKCbOUVU</a>

Video Part 2: Agenda Items 4 to 12 - Annual Meeting Of Swindon Borough Council 2013 17 05 Part 2

4. [15:48:15] Communications: To receive any communications or letters which the Mayor or Chief Executive may have to bring before the Council.

5. [15:48:41] Minutes (PDF 106 KB)  To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 11th April 2013.

6. [15:49:04] Declarations of Interest

Members are reminded that at the start of the meeting they should declare any known interests in any matter to be considered, and also during the meeting if it becomes apparent that they have an interest in the matters being discussed.

7. [15:49:29] Public Question Time

8. [16:01:41] Adoptions of Revisions to Swindon Borough Council's Constitution (pdf 49 KB)

Additional documents:  Adoption of Revisions to Swindon Councils Constitution for 2013-14 - Appendix - Summary - Scheme of Delegations Changes, item 8. (PDF 44 KB)

9. [16:17:02] Numbers to Serve on Council Committees (PDF 25 KB)

Additional documents: Numbers to Serve on Committees 2013-14 - Appendix 1, item 9. (PDF 23 KB)

10. [16:17:07] Allocation of Seats to Political Groups and Appointments to Committees, Other Bodies and Outside Bodies (PDF 41 KB)

Additional documents: Allocation of Seats - Appendices 1-5A, item 10. (PDF 43 KB)

11. [16:34:02] Calendar of Meetings 2013/14 (PDF 26 KB)

Additional documents: Timetable 2013-14 - Approved by Council 110413 - amended for Annual Council 2, item 11. (PDF 150 KB)

12. [16:35:16] Councillors Question Time - Questions (if any) of which notice has been given by Councillors in accordance with Standing Order 15.

Quality Available: 240, 360, 480, 720p HD, 1080p HD

Q: 'Can I download it?' - Yes, click the 'view on youtube' link and download from there.

Duration 50 minutes 55 seconds

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iH7iVmzopvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iH7iVmzopvU</a>

Camera: Richard Symonds

Editing: Me

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:50:36 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: 17th May 2013 Annual Swindon Borough Council Meeting - Videos
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:29:34 AM »

Videos now complete and published at post #1

Offline Brian V Cockbill

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »
Hi Geoff
I seem to have a problem.
Part 2 of the Annual Meeting of Swindon Borough Council shows up as "This video is private".   Do I detect that Mr Taylor has/is asked/asking that it must remain "private" or can you advice that something is amiss technically?   Part 1 plays prefectly.
Best Wishes
Brian V Cockbill

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:25:18 AM »
Try that Brian :)

My mistake: I'd either forgotten to make it public or the default setting was set to private.  Thanks for mentioning it :)

Note 1: I've just enlarged the default size of the Youtube player to 746,420 - this is because the video timecode was partially obscured in the smaller player size when some Youtube functions were used.  I'm sorry if this gives users with smaller screens a problem - let me know if it does and I'll consider moving the timecode to the upper right corner of the video and then reducing the player size slightly.

Note 2: I've entered the wrong municipal year on the intro for both videos.  The correct municipal year is, of course, 2013/14.  I'll probably re-encode both videos with the correct date later this week. 

Bear with us, all things considered we're working the kinks out quite quickly.

We remain proud of the fact that this is costing the Swindon council tax payers not one penny  We're proud of that :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:52:50 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Brian V Cockbill

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »
Thanks Geoff
Comes across loud and clear - great work by Richard and your goodself.
It will be very, very beneficial to Stratton St Margaret, its residents (and voters) and democracy generally.
Three requests Geoff; can I have your permission to show the videos of Council Meetings to a) friends & invited guests at a private meeting(s); b) likewise at any public meeting(s) and c) at any independent appeal body(ies), as evidence, investigating the action(s) of Swindon Borough Council, its officers or members?
Thanks for your great website.
Brian v Cockbill

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
Thanks Geoff
Comes across loud and clear - great work by Richard and your goodself.
It will be very, very beneficial to Stratton St Margaret, its residents (and voters) and democracy generally.
Three requests Geoff; can I have your permission to show the videos of Council Meetings to a) friends & invited guests at a private meeting(s); b) likewise at any public meeting(s) and c) at any independent appeal body(ies), as evidence, investigating the action(s) of Swindon Borough Council, its officers or members?
Thanks for your great website.
Brian v Cockbill

Thanks Brian :)

There are no restrictions on who can see these videos - they are, (as you can see), accurate video records of Swindon Borough Council meetings which are made freely available for members of the public to view.  We want as many residents and voters as possible to view these records and become more interested and involved in local democracy and the workings of our council and our councillors.

There are likewise no restrictions on displaying/sharing the videos at public meetings where no entry fee is charged, provided that the video content is not altered or displayed 'out of context'. 

Provided you are not charging an entry fee to invited guests I rather think what you do in private with them, (the videos, not guests), at a private meeting is not really any concern of ours Brian! :)

We place no restrictions on the use of these videos for investigation or evidential use.  Copies of the original source material can be made available if requested by the appropriate official bodies.

The restrictions we place on professional and commercial use exist because we, (Talkswindon.org), would wish to satisfy ourselves that any professional and/or commercial organisation or media outlet wishing to use the videos, or any part thereof as part of their business - for example but not limited to: journalists, news media, consultants, training providers and the assorted carrion of the public relations industry - would be using them in a manner which satisfied our ethics and operating fund.

Offline Brian V Cockbill

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:29:39 PM »
Thanks Geoff,
Just one more question.
As I, and I am sure many others, feel indebted to you; would you accept any money from a collection at a showing to go towards developing Talkswindon?    As always I'm asking awkward questions!!!!!!
Thanks again and Best Wishes
Brian v Cockbill

Offline Brian V Cockbill

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
Any one know why further filming of Council meetings have not appeared on Talkswindon?
Have the Borough Council found some way in preventing these being made public?
Brian V Cockbill

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:38:11 PM »
Any one know why further filming of Council meetings have not appeared on Talkswindon?
Have the Borough Council found some way in preventing these being made public?
Brian V Cockbill

No, there's no problem from SBC Brian, 'tis only that my diary has been so incredibly full I haven't yet had a clear day to work on the videos Richard has filmed.

They're safe 'in the can' and, if my diary doesn't change too much, will be available by the end of this month :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »
Thanks Geoff,
Just one more question.
As I, and I am sure many others, feel indebted to you; would you accept any money from a collection at a showing to go towards developing Talkswindon?    As always I'm asking awkward questions!!!!!!
Thanks again and Best Wishes
Brian v Cockbill

Just noticed this very kind offer  :embarassed:

Tig and I have previously considered and discussed, (at great length), other offers of funding and the occasional one-off donation, and we haven't yet agreed on whether it's something we're ethically comfortable with or even able to accept before establishing a donation methodology which doesn't make members who don't wish to donate, (or can't even if they did wish to), uncomfortable.

The 'general' costs associated with operating the forum are quite low.  Certainly low enough that financial help isn't needed.  There are other (infrequent) costs which do crop up when we want to do something very specific such as filming council meetings, and although it would be nice to share the cost of purchasing new kit and replacing old, I feel a bid odd about asking people to chip in for stuff they're never likely to see or use...although they *might* see the end product.  Then again, they might not be interested in a video of a council meeting.......but might like to borrow the kit to make a video about something they are interested in and want to publish and share...... 

I think this is a subject I'd be much happier with if the membership discussed it first :)   

Offline Brian V Cockbill

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:33:43 PM »
Geoff, I understand what you saying, however I've just had a couple of ideas which I would like to talk over with you.
Could you ring me on 07725 592147.
Brian V Cockbill

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 01:49:51 AM »
Geoff, I understand what you saying, however I've just had a couple of ideas which I would like to talk over with you.
Could you ring me on 07725 592147.
Brian V Cockbill

I do appreciate your interest Brian but I prefer any discussion about forum funding, or how members who wish to contribute to it might do so, be done openly on the forum :)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:24:06 AM »
In view of the enthusiasm expressed by his Conservative colleagues at this 'Mayor Making' event is it time for us to see Video one again  so we can remind ourselves of the way in which Councillor Nick Martin was elected into this position by his peers?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group