Author Topic: Cycling in Wichelstowe - a video tour  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Cycling in Wichelstowe - a video tour
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
I found this quite interesting, a video of the cyclist's experience of cycling through Wichelstowe. I use that route quite regularly and I'd agree with pretty much every point he makes. Very nice provision for cyclists in a lot of places, but utter confusion in other places.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6tSfWscDicQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6tSfWscDicQ</a>

There's a blog post to go with it too: http://blog.wintle.me.uk/2013/04/swindon-cycle-paths-a-missed-opportunity/

Quote from: Ross Wintle
In this video, I’m slightly over-egging my reaction to the complexities and absurdities I encounter en-route. I’m playing the hammed-up cycle campaigner and come across as much grumpier and more confused than I probably really am.

And I willingly acknowledge that this path is incomplete and that it may all make sense once the rest of the Wichelstowe development is created.

BUT…I think that this road and the facilities it has for cyclists is typical of the UK’s cycle infrastructure in general:

*    Cyclists are forced to stop and start frequently
*    There’s no continuity of the journey – you are directed around everything else, rather than having your own route through
*    The signposting is bad
*    In some places things are over-engineered and highly confusing

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Muggins

Re: Cycling in Wichelstowe - a video tour
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »
Mmm, maybe I should take the Titanic out on that one.

Having said that when Wichlestowe is eventually finish I'd be finding my way through the development and not along the main road.

I'd be grateful to find a dropped kerb without some plonker parked across it.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
I'd be grateful to find a dropped kerb without some plonker parked across it.

I had the misfortune of visiting Haydon End the other day. Hardly a square metre of footpath without a car parked on it.

Council builds a big new car park in the town centre, but planners don't seem to realise that people might also want to take their cars home at night.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
It's unbelievable how many cars are parked across paths when there is no need.  A few months back, I took a few brilliant pictures of a housing compound* on Winterslow Road (hardly a fast and busy thoroughfare) the compound was on a green bit, next to the old British Legion club, which closed ages ago now and it has a tarmac car park, and immediately next to a gravelled car park, no vehicles on either, and the cars and worse VANs were still parked  the road up on the paths.

I saw one guy look out of the compound unit and come across, keys in hand, I thought he had seen me and was going to move it, NO, he went to the back of the van took something out and was about to return to the unit, when he felt my steely glare boring between his shoulder blades. He did move over, after checking that I really did not have room to pass.

*Housing  via their contractors set these up from time to time to store stuff when they are working on something like installing new bathrooms/kitchens or any mass repair or upgrade to the housing stock.   
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:05:50 PM »
I've been thinking after watching this video. I was thinking I could make a video in a similar vein about some other routes I regularly cycle along.

And then I thought, why restrict it to just cyclists? Why not see the world from the point of view of Muggins on her Titanic? Or from the point of view of pedestrians? And then share those views of the world with the interwebs, to show the people who design such things good and bad examples?

I think most of us have some kind of device capable of recording a bit of video, and I'm quite happy to do the necessary to get those bits of video published for people who aren't confident about doing so.

Just wondering what sort of appetite TS members would have for capturing similar video footage of good and bad aspects of the routes they use?
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
I go over Whalebridge every morning.

And back.

Would you want the director's cut?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »
I go over Whalebridge every morning.

And back.

Would you want the director's cut?

If you're willing to go as far as a director's cut then I guess you don't need me to do any editing and publishing. Just share the link here  :)

But seriously, Whalebridge would be an interesting example, if we could capture the experiences of users of different modes of transport when they encounter it.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »
And then I thought, why restrict it to just cyclists? Why not see the world from the point of view of Muggins on her Titanic? Or from the point of view of pedestrians? And then share those views of the world with the interwebs, to show the people who design such things good and bad examples
How about a motorcyclist view?

There are such challenges as pedestrian crossing on roundabout exits (the point where brakes should be used minimally)

Coloured "rumble"  tarmac at junctions (where maximum traction would be appreciated)

Manhole covers in the riding line of bends

People driving cars, in heavy traffic, that keep switching lanes. These people often cut across motorcycles (not enough brains to figure that the next red traffic light puts them behind us again)
Etc

Recently whilst Mrs ICDT was riding her own MC past the science museum, a moron in a BMW decided that meant the road was clear enough to overtake half a dozen cars.

We both slowed and pulled over as much as possible, still not enough room and the hedge was looking like the softest option, but the leading car slowed to create space.

If that wasn't enough, the tool gave us a two finger salute.

Wonder if he'll feel so heroic when I process the Go Pro footage
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
ICDT:  How about a motorcyclist view?

You shouldn't be motorcycling on the paths, you naughty ICDT.  :bottom:

We are supposed to be checking out all dropped kerbs on Penhill - come the nice weather!

Some of the cycle routes and bridges around here, need doing too.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
I've seen the nightmare they've created in Wichelstowe, it's one thing to have a bus/cycle lane on an exisiting road, it's another on a brand new development (a bus can make an awful mess of a cyclist).  One of the best cycle paths in Swindon is the one that links Park South with Eldene/Liden, it's almost like a mini road, it's got a raised bit for pedestrians  and a lower down bit for bikes.

As for bad parking, it's the bane of many people's lives from pedestrians to cyclists to drivers. There's even a website dedicated to posting photos of inconsiderate parkers (be warned the site uses the c-work very liberally, it's even in the website name).  http://tinyurl.com/9pndykm

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 07:56:12 PM »
You won't tell my mum will you?  :embarassed:
Proud to be gone

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »
How about a motorcyclist view?

I'm happy to accept them too. Thinking about it, the more views of users of different modes of transport we can get around the same place, the better.

One of the best cycle paths in Swindon is the one that links Park South with Eldene/Liden, it's almost like a mini road, it's got a raised bit for pedestrians  and a lower down bit for bikes.

Oooh, I'll have to check that out some time (unless you beat me to it with a video  :wink: )

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »
Simon - me strapping my mobile to my handlebars to record a video is just asking for trouble  :wink:. Haven't been down that cycle path for a good while so I don't know what state it's in now, but it's worth checking out.  It runs from the end of Whitbourne Ave and then the Eldene and Liden Centres.
http://goo.gl/maps/czqLV

Another good but short one is Old Walcot to Lawn (it's probably better than the Parks - Eldene one)
http://goo.gl/maps/kEphn

Shows you just how far we haven't come when building housing estates in the 21st century  ::)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »
Simon - me strapping my mobile to my handlebars to record a video is just asking for trouble  :wink:.

I would recommend stopping cycling and getting off the bike in order to film  :wink:

Haven't been down that cycle path for a good while so I don't know what state it's in now, but it's worth checking out.  It runs from the end of Whitbourne Ave and then the Eldene and Liden Centres.
http://goo.gl/maps/czqLV

Another good but short one is Old Walcot to Lawn (it's probably better than the Parks - Eldene one)
http://goo.gl/maps/kEphn

Google Earth doesn't seem to have been more than a few metres down those routes, so all the more need for local cyclists to document them, I think :-)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
You won't tell my mum will you?  :embarassed:

'Course I  won't tell your mum -I'll phone the Police instead. >:(

That's a good idea - street view, I could do the dropped kerb thing from my PC!

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
I didn't really ride on the path....

I was going way too fast for that  >:D
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »
Another numpty parked across my favourite dropped kerb this morning, his passenger,  so I spoke to his passenger, a white haired lady and frightened the life out of him by still going down the bit that was available right behind his car.

Being a fine, upstanding, law abiding citizen you may not realise how tempted I was to get the keys out of the Titanic starter and do a bit of art work on the back of his car.

How could I portray the 'offence' in pictures?