Author Topic: W-fi report won’t blame individuals  (Read 8072 times)

Offline bobwright

Re: W-fi report won’t blame individuals
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 11:11:02 PM »
Scrutiny is a meeting that in my time on the council has been open to the public. This has previously offered opportunity for public involvement and questions. This public involvement has also been documented on Talkswindon.

The Task Group has used the time allowed to investigate and produce the report. This was not and has not been at the direction of anyone. We are working to a brief.

I do not recognise a task group which is fearful

What pleasantries are used to describe the report or the task group goes with the territory. We knew that when we volunteered for the task group. I hope that these pleasantries will not be necessary but that will be down to others judgement on our work and findings.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
The Adver Comments are very interesting and prove that the public are engaged as it is not the usual protagonists who are posting!!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10401193.W_fi_report_won___t_blame_individuals/

Comments(60)

candid friend says...
10:09am Mon 6 May 13

Sounds like a concerted cover up is under way on this shabby scheme.
The first instance in Swindon's long history of development that there have been legitimate grounds for suspicion about corruption.
I'm amazed that Labour are a party to this cover up.
Were Labour councillors involved in agreeing to give the ratepayers money to a dodgy businessman.?
Only an outside independent inquiry will allay the suspicions about this sordid affair.

REPORT THIS POST » ?? REGISTER/LOG IN »
whaddahey?! says...
10:30am Mon 6 May 13

"But he said the report would not point the finger at which individuals were actually responsible."

And so the cozy councilors club closes ranks once again so that those reponsibile for totally wasting half a million pounds at a time of penury, escape any direct criticism.

How does the enquiry serve democrasy, if the electorate aren't even made aware of the identity of those councilors who bear most responsibility?

RichardR1 says...
10:40am Mon 6 May 13

Naming and shaming is a mute point when we all know the lead Actors in this, but I do agree the enquiry should have been independent of the Council, after all the Scrutiny Committee (all party) said nothing was wrong.

faatmaan says...
11:16am Mon 6 May 13

surely there is a statutory duty to disclose in whatever form the loss of public funds, whether through the National Audit Office or the Law as this constitutes misappropriation of public funds, as previously mentioned too many highly positioned people have too much to lose by implication or prosecution.

Always Grumpy says...
11:28am Mon 6 May 13

A complete cover up then and the grubby little individuals involved are going to get away scott free, while the local council tax payers end up footing the bill.
What a sordid little episode in Swindon's history this has turned out to be.

RichardR1 says...
11:38am Mon 6 May 13

Always Grumpy, and I suspect this is not the first and will not be the last. There needs to be a major look at the tendering policies involving SCS.

How jobs they do seem to cost 3 or 4 times what would reasonably be expected, from any other contractor.

Wellfire says...
11:43am Mon 6 May 13

I worked in the private sector all my working life and saw people lose their jobs over much smaller sums and better run operations than this. It was cronyism that caused the deal to be struck in the first place. It was cronyism that caused it to be monitored in such a sloppy manner and it's cronyism that is causing the cover up. It's a sorry episode that reflects no credit whatever on anyone concerned with it, whoever they may be.

towny_gurl says...
11:47am Mon 6 May 13

What a cover up, seeing that this has been going on for so long waiting for members to come back from holiday would have been worth the wait.

What I have been wondering is, who made the decision for invest this money and what are their technical or business experience.

Oik1 says...
12:58pm Mon 6 May 13

"THE councillor leading the cross-party review into Swindon Council’s failed wi-fi project says the findings are likely to be published in June – but do not expect blame to be laid at the door of individuals. "

Well, what a pointless exercise that's going to be, lets save them the trouble, this was the problem,
Swindon Council agreed in October 2009 to invest up to £450,000 in the firm Digital City (UK) Ltd,................ they invested the money, got nothing in return and as it turned out it was a complete waste of £450,000 of tax payers money, this much we already know, we don't need a cross party review to tell us again, what we would like to know is (officially), who was responsible for signing the money away and what were all the players names that the money went to, can any of the money be claimed back and what safeguards have been put in place to stop another fiasco of this nature happening again and finally, are there grounds for legal action to be taken against those found to be responsible?

fatman says...
2:39pm Mon 6 May 13

This matter imo should be handed to the Fraud Squad at Wiltshire Police to investigate NO IFS NO BUTS

Davey Gravey says...
4:27pm Mon 6 May 13

This issue should be dealt with by somebody neutral and with no links to swindon or any councillor here. Can we as residents demand an independent enquiry?

house on the hill says...
4:29pm Mon 6 May 13

I think most people will be disgusted but not surprised by this. Politicians are a slimy selfish uncaring bunch in the main who only do the job for their own gain and self importance rather than actually wanting to help people and this just proves it.

Politicians are like bananas, you very rarely find a straight one and when you do its chucked in the bin because it doesn't fit in with all the rest!

Tohellinahandcart says...
4:31pm Mon 6 May 13

My company called Pie in the Sky needs £450,000 will the council lend me the money to get it up and running or will they send me to the bank. No prizes for guessing the answer to that one so why did Digital City get the cash.
The whole thing stinks.
This is a disgrace to the people of Swindon and what I would expect to happen in some third world banana republic.

Morsey says...
5:41pm Mon 6 May 13

Just look and see how much Council Tax payers' money has been ploughed into other 'private sector' business ... it must be quite startling?

The Oasis, the multitude of care homes for a start ... given away with Labour and LibDem approval, I understand, with no consultation or consideration to the public who actually owned them!

The theatres, The Link Centre ... they will be next ... and you and I cannot vote these people out whilst they strip the town of most of it's possessions with no influence from any objectors, all in the name of saving money ... to pay for other WiFi type schemes with private concerns I guess? ... It stinks big time!

roberto5 says...
7:30pm Mon 6 May 13

I thought this kind of thing only happened in third world countries? The Council have been proper done over with this one. All a bunch of thieving gits.

faatmaan says...
7:45pm Mon 6 May 13

our two members of Parliament are keeping quiet !?

peatmoor pirate says...
8:37pm Mon 6 May 13

Complete disgrace

semitonic says...
9:14pm Mon 6 May 13

RichardR1 wrote:
Naming and shaming is a mute point when we all know the lead Actors in this, but I do agree the enquiry should have been independent of the Council, after all the Scrutiny Committee (all party) said nothing was wrong.
We've been robbed.

And Robbo this has been pointed out to you many, many times but you still can't get it into your tiny brain that it's a "moot point" not a "mute point" you complete idiot.

snow123 says...
10:03pm Mon 6 May 13

The problem is that there is no local government accountability. The two conservative MPs never speak up about important issues. So much incompetence in Swindon....The people responsible for WiFi waste need to be removed from their positions and barred from working in local government or acting as a councillor. Council tax payers are paying for a scheme which to those versed in IT obviously wouldn't work. Secrecy at SBC seems to permeate the whole council. What about other fiascos - mobile phone masts, Grove Road School, Redlands airfield and plans to extinguish it by allowing 200 plus houses to be built there to enable the EDA to go ahead (as SBC is legally liable under aviation law to compensate the Redlands owners), and those suffering noise from the A419 and the bus station, and landowners bullied at Blunsdon.... I'm sure others can add more examples.

John Smith II says...
10:07pm Mon 6 May 13

So to what degree to the councillors in this grubby affair believe in accountability?

I Could Do That says...
10:23pm Mon 6 May 13

It will be years (if ever) before everyone on this forum is seen to unanimously agree to the extent shown here.

Everyone is disgusted by the level of incompetence over this drawn out fiasco

It truly stinks

This is no time for a cover up.
It's time to end the corruption and arrogance

faatmaan says...
10:24pm Mon 6 May 13

can they invoke the 30 year secrecy rule ?

Swindonnationalist says...
1:26am Tue 7 May 13

This stinks of utter corruption... If the review was to be true to its supposed intentions, then it would, as a matter of course, name those directly and indirectly responsible for the lose of nearly half a million pounds of tax payers money!! It is beyond the pale that they expect the electorate to be happy for those responsible to be not held accountable for their huge failings.

This is a indictment of modern day British politics- The political class looking out for their own, at the expense of us, the British Taxpayer!!!!

Phantom Poster says...
2:09am Tue 7 May 13

“There was an element of ‘group think’ that wi-fi would solve all their problems, and as a consequence, no one individual was to blame. Dissidents were outside the loop.”

...... what!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom Poster says...
2:13am Tue 7 May 13

I believe that I pay the council lots and lots of money to not 'group think'?? What does that mean anyway?

house on the hill says...
7:03am Tue 7 May 13

This shows everything that is wrong about politicians, not only dishonest, but then try to cover it up afterwards. We don't live in a democracy at all they just do what the hell they want with no consequences, whoever is guilty in this case should be taken to court and charged but we all know it won't happen. Just what is the point in voting?

umpcah says...
7:56am Tue 7 May 13

Pooh - what a stink !

nigelej says...
8:23am Tue 7 May 13

house on the hill wrote:
I think most people will be disgusted but not surprised by this. Politicians are a slimy selfish uncaring bunch in the main who only do the job for their own gain and self importance rather than actually wanting to help people and this just proves it.

Politicians are like bananas, you very rarely find a straight one and when you do its chucked in the bin because it doesn't fit in with all the rest!
That is a cracking post well said and humour with a point .Top post I think

RichardR1 says...
9:52am Tue 7 May 13

Phantom,

'Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an incorrect or deviant decision-making outcome.

Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative ideas or viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences.'

Explains many of the decisions taken by this council.

AdderB says...
10:10am Tue 7 May 13

I believe I can 'name names' Bluh and Hunt got together and decided to fleece Swindon of £450k . Simples .

Fraud . Simples.

No inquiry needed . Can we have the money back please ? .

Ringer says...
10:57am Tue 7 May 13

AdderB wrote:
I believe I can 'name names' Bluh and Hunt got together and decided to fleece Swindon of £450k . Simples .

Fraud . Simples.

Proving the above, in a court of law, would be nigh on impossible.

This was a bad business plan that was invested in by people who had no real idea what they were doing, what they would be getting or how they were going to actually deliver a service that was always going to be wholly unnecessary from the outset.

It just shows how easily politicians - most of whom have little to no experience, training or knowledge of the things they discuss and invest in - are able to be hoodwinked by business people in the private sector.

Still, at least SBC didn't invest £40 million in fake bomb detectors.

A.Baron-Cohen says...
11:20am Tue 7 May 13

another report......another whitewash

LordAshOfTheBrake says...
11:45am Tue 7 May 13

Ringer wrote:
AdderB wrote:

Fraud . Simples.

Proving the above, in a court of law, would be nigh on impossible.

This was a bad business plan that was invested in by people who had no real idea what they were doing, what they would be getting or how they were going to actually deliver a service that was always going to be wholly unnecessary from the outset.

It just shows how easily politicians - most of whom have little to no experience, training or knowledge of the things they discuss and invest in - are able to be hoodwinked by business people in the private sector.

Still, at least SBC didn't invest £40 million in fake bomb detectors.
Maybe, but Perkins is a director and with that comes responsibility. Can't be too hard to find out whether certain things happened on his watch or prior to his joining the board.

The scrutiny committee seem to have admitted they didn't scrutinise; which suggests misconduct in public office.

The fact that the council agreed to go ahead with the "business" plan, with a company that was essentially a start up with little to no track record in the area to which the business was operating doesn't just show naivety, it demonstrates negligence and incompetence. If they had no idea what they were doing, they should not have been doing it.

Ringer says...
11:50am Tue 7 May 13

If they had no idea what they were doing, they should not have been doing it.

That would render most local, and national, government departments null and void.

John~R says...
12:05pm Tue 7 May 13

Of course, it's not just the councillors who are to blame: Quote from the report above:
Mr Hunt told the Adver last week that the renumeration was something agreed initially between the shareholders. He said Swindon Council was represented in the discussions by officers, whom he would not name because it was not fair on them.

I wonder if those officers are among those who were sent away with golden parachutes?

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...
12:10pm Tue 7 May 13

Ringer wrote:

That would render most local, and national, government departments null and void.
They already are null and void. You could quite easily decimate most government departments and suffer few negative consequences.

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...
12:16pm Tue 7 May 13

Looking at it a different way - would you as an individual expect to borrow money from the bank to purchase a house without first doing some research of the area, what the house looked like, how many people could use your house, etc. If you were the bank manager, would you lend an individual a sum of money when it was obvious they could provide no clear way of paying it back?

Ignorance is not an excuse - in fact it almost makes the situation worse. As tax payers, we are "the bank", and as such if we are going to let government organisations use our money, we would rightfully expect them to be diligent and responsible with it. This is just one case in many where they have proven to be neither.

Ringer says...
12:30pm Tue 7 May 13

The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Ringer wrote:

They already are null and void. You could quite easily decimate most government departments and suffer few negative consequences.
Could not agree more.

itsamess3 says...
1:09pm Tue 7 May 13

This article shows so many that have no idea whatsoever how to get to the truth of this issue--at least 2 failed candidates for councillors--one of which claimed to have made a FOI request.
Claims of fraud-corruption etc.
Another claim the police investigated already--they cannot--why?
Public Law has to be used.
The public must blame themselves for allowing this debacle to go on and on as after all you voted them in to represent you--they do not--never will as long as you let them get away with it.

Ringer says...
1:18pm Tue 7 May 13

itsamess3 wrote:
This article shows so many that have no idea whatsoever how to get to the truth of this issue--at least 2 failed candidates for councillors--one of which claimed to have made a FOI request.
The public must blame themselves for allowing this debacle to go on and on as after all you voted them in to represent you--they do not--never will as long as you let them get away with it.
Presumably, you, itsamess3 (the nuclear scientist extraordinaire), could quite easily put everything to rights - given that you know everything, and certainly more than anyone else here.

I'm sure the people of Swindon will thank you for your efforts.

When will you start?

itsamess3 says...
1:46pm Tue 7 May 13

Nice to see you admit that--it also shows why you have such a great ambition to get on the gravy train and become one of those councillors who will not listen to the voters--sort of blows your claim to have studied law as you have no idea whatsoever as to how ti get this issue resolved.

Davey Gravey says...
3:42pm Tue 7 May 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Hahahahaha. What an absolute muppet you are. A laughing stock on this site.

Ringer says...
4:41pm Tue 7 May 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Nice to see you admit that--it also shows why you have such a great ambition to get on the gravy train and become one of those councillors who will not listen to the voters--sort of blows your claim to have studied law as you have no idea whatsoever as to how ti get this issue resolved.
When are you making a start on 'resolving the issue' then?

Of course, you'll not be doing anything. You can't do anything. You still think I'm an individual that has absolutely nothing to do with me (and who I've never even met).

Do keep it up, though. Your continual errors and spectacular lack of knowledge provide endless entertainment on here.

itsamess3 says...
8:56pm Tue 7 May 13

Davey

"Hahahahaha. What an absolute muppet you are. A laughing stock on this site.”

Are you a comedian? My post is quite correct--waste of time accusing individuals--the only way to resolve this problem is to take the Council to court under Public Law.

RichardR1 says...
9:18pm Tue 7 May 13

So which Public Law would that be oh Master of everything, we await your guidance, or not as is likely the case.

itsamess3 says...
9:34pm Tue 7 May 13

Tim/Ringer

"Of course, you'll not be doing anything. You can't do anything. You still think I'm an individual that has absolutely nothing to do with me (and who I've never even met)."

"Do keep it up, though. Your continual errors and spectacular lack of knowledge provide endless entertainment on here.”

That is your pitiful attempt to show your own complete lack of knowledge.
Don't worry--I will keep your true identity to myself for a little longer.

I have given the area of law to resolve this issue--go on--make yourself a hero and use it.

itsamess3 says...
9:57pm Tue 7 May 13

RichardR1 wrote:
So which Public Law would that be oh Master of everything, we await your guidance, or not as is likely the case.
Bob
You expended all your knowledge a few years ago and the council told you more or less to f/o.
Likewise you had to withdraw a JR by virtue of a fatally flawed argument. No surprise that you claim not to understand public law.

Pompey-Bound says...
12:19am Wed 8 May 13

I think it didn't work because it was incompatible with Robbo's very special military specification pier to pier network at UKIP campaign office aka the carps. It was all one big conspiracy by the stovepipe hat wearing bar keep!

Ringer says...
9:42am Wed 8 May 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Tim/Ringer

"Of course, you'll not be doing anything. You can't do anything. You still think I'm an individual that has absolutely nothing to do with me (and who I've never even met)."

"Do keep it up, though. Your continual errors and spectacular lack of knowledge provide endless entertainment on here.”

That is your pitiful attempt to show your own complete lack of knowledge.
Don't worry--I will keep your true identity to myself for a little longer.

I have given the area of law to resolve this issue--go on--make yourself a hero and use it.
Do you even read the stuff you post? You claim to be the master of all, I challenged you to put your infinite knowledge into practice.

The best you can do is not tell anyone what you supposedly know and then tell them to act on it.

What a spectacular failure you are.

You also have absolutely NO idea who I am, as evidenced by the fact you constantly refer to me as being somebody else. I know exactly who you think I am (the fact that you still can't work out which one of the two you think it is does amuse me, given that I'm neither of them).

Do realise that it merely highlights how dim you are, side tracked and thrown off the scent by casual asides.

What hope for our nuclear industry, eh?

Empty Car Park says...
9:52am Wed 8 May 13

How dull.

The evening in The Lava Lounge must have been
"Spectacular"

itsamess3 says...
10:51am Wed 8 May 13

Ringadingdongdoda

Do read the headline of the article--there is a very big clue there.
The simple fact being-you claimed to have wide legal knowledge--despite not knowing the difference between manslaughter and murder.
Now here you are trying to tell me that you have no idea--given the headline-how to challenge the council via public law--well you really must be very dumb.
Not sure what being a nuclear scientist has to do with the article--other than your attempt to disrupt the comments section.

Ringer says...
1:17pm Wed 8 May 13

itsamess3 wrote...
Ringadingdongdoda

Seriously? From a grown adult?
itsamess3 wrote...
Do read the headline of the article--there is a very big clue there.

Yes, everyone knows individuals will not be taken to court, that's precisely what the article and the scrutiny group have already said. Well done, have a biscuit.
itsamess3 wrote...
The simple fact being-you claimed to have wide legal knowledge--despite not knowing the difference between manslaughter and murder.

I don't 'claim' to have legal knowledge, I *have* legal knowledge. I also know fully well what the difference between manslaughter and murder is. It's the CPS and judiciary who seem to have trouble with the distinction these days, not I.
itsamess3 wrote...
Now here you are trying to tell me that you have no idea--given the headline-how to challenge the council via public law--well you really must be very dumb.

As ever, you appear to have trouble reading plain English. I have not mentioned, at all, that I have no idea. It was you that blundered into the thread to imply that everyone else was too thick to know what to do but, quelle surprise, you knew exactly what to do. All I did was to merely call you out on your bluster. You've still not confirmed when you'll be swinging your massive legal powers into action.

There is only one, very, dumb person on this thread. His name starts with an 'i' and ends with a '3'.
itsamess3 wrote...
Not sure what being a nuclear scientist has to do with the article

I think we all are well aware that being a nuclear scientist most certainly has nothing to do with you.

itsamess3 says...
2:36pm Wed 8 May 13

Benicetotimhesaringe
r
You mean you have the scrutiny committees report--wow they gave you a copy before May 17th?
Next you will be telling us you have the cross-party review decision.
Sorry your legal knowledge is zero as you have proved time and again in your rants.
Hardly surprising you came to Swindon.

Ringer says...
6:50pm Wed 8 May 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Benicetotimhesaringe

r
You mean you have the scrutiny committees report--wow they gave you a copy before May 17th?
Next you will be telling us you have the cross-party review decision.
Sorry your legal knowledge is zero as you have proved time and again in your rants.
Hardly surprising you came to Swindon.

Coun Moffatt said the report would not point the finger at which individuals were actually responsible.

You really are incapable of reading plain English, aren't you?

No need to see the scrutiny report, the above has already been a matter of public statement and record.

Have you been drinking today, or something? You're acting even more bizarre than usual.

This has nothing to do with 'legal knowledge', simply a case of being able to comprehend simple English. You should try it sometime.

RichardR1 says...
8:37pm Wed 8 May 13

Still waiting to know what public law you intend to use, because surely if you are the only one who knows you have a Citizens duty to take action, as we all agree this cover up is unacceptable, don't we.

Empty Car Park says...
10:36pm Wed 8 May 13

How very dull

itsamess3 says...
12:38am Thu 9 May 13

Ringer
"No need to see the scrutiny report, the above has already been a matter of public statement and record"

It does not matter what a single councillor says as the crux of the matter is the scrutiny report--which has not been published--and the cross party review--again not yet published.
No doubt the borough solicitor will scrutinise that to predict any banana skins and modify parts. A good public lawyer would get the orders to examine original documents.

I would remind you that despite your claims to have good command of reading and writing English--your standard is well below current gcse pass grade and overactive use of punctuation--likewis
e your claim to have legal knowledge--you fail every time--and try to cover it up by counter claims--never works.

itsamess3 says...
7:09am Thu 9 May 13

Bob

Do tell where I have said I intended to use any law. How do you reach your conclusion that I am the only one who knows public law.
Public law is statutory law in relation to public bodies. It sets out the rules and regulations as to conduct--more importantly--the decision making process.
I do agree there could have been a cover up--but until both reports are published very little can be done.

RichardR1 says...
9:35am Thu 9 May 13

Because you keep telling us all Itsamess. No matter what references are given, statements made etc, everyone is wrong in your mind. So what public law could be used, if you don't want to serve your fellow rate payers.

itsamess3 says...
2:22pm Thu 9 May 13

Bob
Read my previous post-very simple.

Comment now! Register or sign in below.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 04:41:20 PM »
One of the pivotal aspects I remember was  the issue of there being "no need to go to tender " because it was not a procurement but an "investment" and that this had been the " legal " advice received.   

Graham Mack interviews with Rod Bluh and Garry Perkins were very revealing.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
The way things normally work in council is those with the largest number of hands up win the vote. Very often parties vote in the same way but not always. When you describe a committee comprising of different parties as all party this does not show how the voting went only that people from different parties attended. Split or opposed decisions are the norm.

Those members who contribute to Talkswindon and have attended many of the council meetings concerning wi-fi know who has supported and opposed the project through voting and debate.

Tax payers money use is of interest to residents and politicians particularly when savings have to be made. Politicians are often challenged and are asked to justify decisions. That is why I keep banging on about an unnecessary new car park putting the council into further debt by £15m when we have surplus parking spaces.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »
The way things normally work in council

Ha bloody ha.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.