Author Topic: Any Immediate Plans For ... ?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
Any Immediate Plans For ... ?
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:55:02 PM »
 :wakeup:
Having just been to the now 'closed for business' town centre car parks in our diabolically run town  /  'run down' is politely describing it ...

There are potential customers in their droves, (no pun intended), driving around the ground level, traditional for decades car parks, which rake in heaps of cash for the council coffers, and finding no spaces left as all the smaller areas are now closed for business.  Disabled drivers have been shafted big time ... there are no spaces anywhere ... what's going on????????? :argh: :WTF:

Empty, boarded up sites are everywhere, and now there a many more ... I feel that this would not have happened had there been local elections this year ... they have gone totally mad, and I can confirm the results are indicating that yet another idiotic error of judgement has been made by those in charge!  Who's decision ... is there an immediate use for these areas of traditional parking, or is it just to market the land or force drivers into multi-storey, or to just push them and their custom elsewhere? I, for one, will stop visiting the town centre, along with many others I would imagine, as I consider multi-storey parking for shopping difficult. :bash:

Total incompetents, the lot of them ... when will all this fukcing people about come to an end???????

Offline Muggins

Re: Any Immediate Plans For ... ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 06:20:06 PM »
Better have my annual trip in before it closes completely then!  Is there anything worth going in for?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:38:57 PM »
Truthfully, not a lot ... but the bank and library were on our agenda today ... it was a bit chaotic! There are little gems in town, but a move like this cannot help a fragile economy in shopping as the more options to park must surely help rather than hinder? :D

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
Ah, well, do both of those on the internet, if I want a real book- and I usually do, then I pick one or five up when I'm at an event, usually dirt cheap.  Just finished reading the last batch bought for a £1 for five at the RBL stall at Tenbury on Wells Apple Fest.

Now if you want to see a pretty little town, glorious countryside and meet very friendly people, take trip up there this weekend for their food show.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline bobwright

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
All part of the Parking Strategy. This emerged when the Administration decided to create growth and regenerate our major town centre with a £15 million pound car park and an old persons home. In most major towns/cities they use their prime locations with striking architecture or buildings of importance we have increased debt and removed the preferred ground surface car parks.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
Watch out for future developments at the closed sites. I think we will see some more mini parks without the cars.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Our current administration seem to have an uncanny ability to extract failure from potential...  :-\
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
Wasn't there an Adver story recently stating that the decision to close car parks was based on reducing business rates.

The council can close a surface level car park and cease paying business rates straight away. The multi-storeys would attract rates even if they are closed, so unless they are demolished there is no immediate saving.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:10:24 AM »
Wasn't there an Adver story recently stating that the decision to close car parks was based on reducing business rates.

The council can close a surface level car park and cease paying business rates straight away. The multi-storeys would attract rates even if they are closed, so unless they are demolished there is no immediate saving.

OK it could be right but then why build a multi storey one that will attract business rates isn't a case of if you have 2000 spaces the rates are the same whether surface or multi storey. Or are you saying overall that car park spaces have been reduced  if so why :-\

http://www.2010.voa.gov.uk/rli/static/HelpPages/Valuation/English/Scales/M_VXMPARKING1.html
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:44 AM »
Morsey, I wasn't agreeing with SBC's warped logic just trying to understand/explain it.

My interpretation of events is as follows:-
1. Council agrees to build unnecessary multi-storey car park to appease developers.
2. Council then realises that it will have an over provision of parking spaces and decides to close some.
3. Council has a limited budget and realises that demolishing multi-storeys costs money.
4. Council decides that it can only afford to demolish 1 multi-storey per year. Parade car park is easily the worst car park in Swindon, so logically that one will go first. Demolition costs will be circa £100,000 and time consuming.
5. Cash strapped council needs to save money, so closes surface level car parks to cut business rates. Cost of closure is negligable and reduction in rates is immediate.

Rod Bluh was so desperate for the town centre development to start that he agreed to pay for it. Less of a car park strategy and more of a 'kiss the developers arse and crisis manage the outcome' strategy.

Closing multi-storeys could also become controversial if taxpayers were to realise how much money has been spent on them in recent years. Brunel West MSCP must have had approx £1,000,000 spent on it in the last 10 years. Demolishing it now would be an admission that there was no car park strategy. I suspect that the decision to build the new car park came before the car park strategy.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »
Does anyone agree with some of this view of Swindon

As in towns, within a reasonable travelling distance sadly some of my favourite stores in Swindon have now closed.

Parking near the Whalebridge junction a parking enforcement officer immediately pounced and offered me a game of hide and seek with the chance to pay £30. The officer at once asked if I could seek a cleverly hidden footpath-road at Whalebridge. After numerous guesses I gave up. Oddly I was parked on it how silly of me not to notice that. I guess I should have left my car, paid my fee, taken the mandatory 10 minutes to deduce from the non existent Parking Map. That there were no legal parking spaces free, and return to my car to collect my parking fixed penalty notice!

Feeling a little vibrant I took a stroll along the cleverly hidden footpath-road and got run over by a bus, well very nearly, then an SCS  white pickup and then a red rascal mobility scooter. Having reached the other side I slumped against the empty bus stop and marvelled at the bus exchange  and the number of illegally parked buses.

So I took a walk through Swindon to see the economic highlights of a vibrant visionary place where business wants to do business. I saw little of it but noticed a drunk desperately trying to find a green space to sit down in. Some claim Swindon may have little to offer in the form of live entertainment but the drunk negotiating the small pocket park was  pure theatre and a must see for  all. After staggering and falling down  with a slow motion roll the intoxicated chap got to his feet to try all over again.

Collecting my thoughts, I thought of the slippery path political parties in Swindon  are currently on. Maybe time to merge WC and SBC  and thus we may witness as a collectively a competitive county may emerge, and so might my shopping paradise.

Without doubt this once proud town still has something to offer. With a promise of Traditional market stalls, a West End Cinema complex a Morrison's store, restaurants and the excellent replacement for Carfax House Medical Practice.

Yet I can’t help feeling Swindon's  on the wrong cleverly hidden footpath path-road and Swindon  people along with some mobility scooter drivers deserve better.

Some slight resemblances and exaggerations possibly  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Where did that very accurate review of Swindon come from?

5. Cash strapped council needs to save money, so closes surface level car parks to cut business rates. Cost of closure is negligable and reduction in rates is immediate.

The negative economic effect is also immediate, as people that have vans and taller vehicles are unable to access multi storey car parks

This point would soon become obvious in a two way public consultation...... Oh!
Proud to be gone