Author Topic: Mr Hunt  (Read 5021 times)

Offline bobwright

Re: Mr Hunt
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
When I get involved in HR issues I have to provide confidence that there will be fair treatment. When I get involved in Domestic Violence issues I have to protect the innocent and victims. When I get involved in Council work I try to do the same thing. Public Confidence in Politicians can only be delivered if you trust us.

We are trying to produce a report that is in line with the brief and guidance. We can't rerun the history, we can try to understand it and try to stop it being repeated.

Across history there have been characters of one kind or other who have used opportunity for either personal gain or public good. What is indefensible is when both become entwined and then avoid any responsibility when things go wrong. Not only is that impossible when it comes to trust your credibility can only be restored if you accurately and openly state things as they were rather than the way you liked it to be.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »
I can’t be bothered to engage with the petty prejudice of Tobes.

?

Des - I've never met you and have no prejudice against you. The failure of the opposition to effectively hold the likes of Hunt et al to account compared to the efforts of Des Morgan are just a matter of public record. Get off your high horse! If you want to make false allegations of 'prejudice' - you'd better have the intellectual muscle-power to back that up. Whats my prejudice against you, please explain?

If you read back in this thread, I think you'll find I've made my opinion on this issue pretty clear - that the principal blame (obviously!) lies at the feet of the tories. So much for prejudice - although I confess a bias against idiots and the peddlars of falsehood, whatever their political colours of convenience.

People will make their own judgments of who was the most effective in terms of exposing wifi. Even Chris himself started out commenting on the issue as a member of the public before he joined your party.

Talking of which -

He choses to forget that I recorded my vote against Wi-Fi twice and the Tory members block voted it through Scrutiny. He is blissfully unaware that I and one other declared Wi-Fi would not succeed because of the connectivity provided by iphones and the approaching 4G, me in particular having been educated in these matters by Chris Watts.

Nice line in rhetoric. I 'chose' to forget eh? If I, a more politically aware than average Swindonian, am 'blissfully unaware' of something, members of the public can hardly be to blame for feeling you and your colleagues might have done a lot more too, eh?

He ignores the basic principle that those named in any report have the right to comment before it becomes public.

Ignore? What have I ignored?! 

Sorry Des, you're attacking me personally when I haven't attacked you - just the apparent ineffectiveness of your party (NOT YOU) to do their job.

Its also a good attempt at the usual political bullshit we have to put up with - attack is as ever the best form of defense, as you have entirely ignored (needled by Ph1C and hitting out at me instead, perchance?) of the reasonable point Ph1C asked and which I POLITELY asked for clarification - and which you have failed to answer.

Damn right Ph1C - Des Moffat - that looks like a pretty outrageous thing to say. Can you explain what you mean to avoid any danger of misunderstanding?

How do you feel as an opposition councilor when its clear that Des Morgan has borne the greatest burden of responsibility for brining this farce to light? Isn't it / shouldn't it be the work of an effective opposition party to provide this level of scrutiny? That it has come instead from a man who has put public interest against his normal political inclinations makes it even more piquant.

A polite, reasonable question, surely?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 10:04:36 PM »
When I get involved in HR issues I have to provide confidence that there will be fair treatment. When I get involved in Domestic Violence issues I have to protect the innocent and victims. When I get involved in Council work I try to do the same thing. Public Confidence in Politicians can only be delivered if you trust us.

Bob. Having read your posts on talkswindon, you always come across as fair and reasonable. I also believe that you act in the public interest rather than for personal gain or ego boosting. Shame that other councillors don't follow your example. Keep up the good work.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
Ditto that Spunky. Bob is a gent - both here and in the flesh.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »
It seems that Coun Bluh still wishes to link me with the Labour party in my wish to see right prevail with regard to the Wi-Fi saga. In attempting to make a link he really is scraping the barrel as any of my Labour friends will tell him and as many of my Conservative friends will confirm.

However, linking me with any particlular political party is okay, I understand the motivating factor. What i do not understand is Coun Bluh's continuing assertion (made elsewhere) that the UK Broadband tie up with Capita to provide a 4G network and save the council £450k over 5 years can somehow be linked to the debt of Digital City.

I accept (if UKB say so) that they were attracted to approach SBC as a result of the Highworth pilot for Wi-Fi.   I happen to think it was because they saw an opportunity to capitalise on the failure of Highworth and not because they viewed Highworth as a success.

However, Coun Perkins consistently sold the UKB deal as the saving of DC whereas it never was about saving DC. He also assured people that it was the residual technical kit remaining in Highworth which was attractive to UKB - another piece of overblown rhetoric I fear.

The savings associated with the work undertaken by UKB is the result of work which could have occurred without SBC having to have spent a penny piece on DC and the Wi-Fi project. Put simply it was a normal commercial transaction which owed nothing to Wi-Fi.

I applaud SBC for gaining any savings and £450k is very welcome indeed BUT Coun Bluh and his colleagues should stop kidding themselves that they can substitute the loss of £450k paid out to DC with savings from the work undertaken by UKB.

No matter how many times he repeats the mantra, no one outside of his own 'tribe' will believe him.

Please can i also say that Des Moffat and Bob Wright have been very supportive of the cause i am committed to fight.  They operate in different ways to the way I would but they are councillors and need to satisfy different criteria of conduct within the council structure.

I must also say that when i was invited to appear before the committee preparing the report, I was treated very well by Coun Ford and Coun Heaton-Jones and given over an hour to answer their enquiries.

What continues to sadden me is the cowardice displayed by some councillors who even now sit resolutely on their hands rather than take a principled stand and call for proper action to be taken against individuals. Officers i understand, as they seek to protect their jobs and power base. What baffles me completely is the utter inability of those responsible to recognise when you have been outflanked and simply admit it.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 01:09:11 AM »
People will make their own judgments of who was the most effective in terms of exposing wifi. Even Chris himself started out commenting on the issue as a member of the public before he joined your party.
Sorry Tobes, your statement is incorrect. I was still commenting on Wifi nearly a year and half after joining the Labour Party and had quotes in the adver nearly two and half years after joining. (Although admittedly it all seems like yesterday and the thought of it has just brought on a bought of existential angst)

Sorry to have disappointed Tobes and please accept my appologies. I feel in this matter that  I worked to my core competencies of a technical background including experience of volume sales and delivery of bandwidth. When DC went tits-up my stated positions on the business plan were vindicated but did leave me in a position of defending against accusations that my criticism had somehow attributed to the eventual and predictable demise of the project. I called it the "Perkins McCarthy Defence" of the indefensible at the time. Even Tomlinson got in on the act on BBC Wiltshire radio but later apologised. We kissed and made up.  :o

I did dabble in the corporate side digging out the information on the IoM link and questions on basic company set-up errors and lack of due diligence.  I know my limitations enough to realise that I was not going to get into a corporate knowledge winky waving competition with Mr Morgan as I knew he possessed a sizeable corporate / boardroom mechanics knowledge wanger compared to my small business tiddler. It's all in the core competencies.

Likewise with the SBC report that is being authored, as I am not / and unlikely to be on the inside and not fully versed in the wheels within wheels at the Council, my assistance is ancillary and hopefully of some use and feel it is best left to those with the accumulated knowledge of service to collate.

It seems to me that people are working to their strengths, know their limitations and are pulling in the same direction even if it is taking a long time.

Once again, sorry to have disappointed.

Cheers
Chris

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Re: Re: Mr Hunt
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
What continues to sadden me is the cowardice displayed by some councillors who even now sit resolutely on their hands rather than take a principled stand and call for proper action to be taken against individuals. Officers i understand, as they seek to protect their jobs and power base. What baffles me completely is the utter inability of those responsible to recognise when you have been outflanked and simply admit it.
It has long puzzled me too. From very early on it was difficult to see what advantage, political or otherwise, was to be gained by continued silent allegiance to an obviously doomed project. Maybe they thought interest would fade away. Surely it would have been better to admit mistakes early on. It would have given some headlines at the time, but would have saved them many years of continual criticism.

If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:04 AM »
Easy, everyone is so busy these days, they don't pay enough attention and let the enthusiasts get on with it.

Probably by the time the complaints had built up an head of steam, there as no going back, so to speak. and I bet a fair few felt uncomfortable about it but didn't want to speak out in case it worked.

Not really an excuse though.  I take it they all know their responsibilities - or do they? Really understand them?

I also wonder if they don't know/misunderstand the strength of feeling about this issue out here in Swindon land? 

In the way they have of marginalising any complainant, they probably thought it was only Des and  couple more who were bothered. Anything from Labour or other parties they would have dismissed as trying to take/cause a political  to do. Two years ago, their mindset was that they were right about everything and there was no gainsaying them.

When the actual power here is left to so few, and the deals are not done in the Civic offices, but 'on the golf course' these mistakes were bound to happen.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »
In the way they have of marginalising any complainant, they probably thought it was only Des and  couple more who were bothered. Anything from Labour or other parties they would have dismissed as trying to take/cause a political  to do. Two years ago, their mindset was that they were right about everything and there was no gainsaying them.

Oddly enough that very same theory has been put to the test in the adver comments by the established troll.

I think public awareness has been greater than the council bods realised (pity it wasn't reflected in the elections)

I think public awareness will increase more with the last report and Rod Bluh's resignation
Proud to be gone

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »
Sorry Tobes, your statement is incorrect. I was still commenting on Wifi nearly a year and half after joining the Labour Party and had quotes in the adver nearly two and half years after joining. (Although admittedly it all seems like yesterday and the thought of it has just brought on a bought of existential angst)

Sorry to have disappointed Tobes and please accept my appologies. I feel in this matter that  I worked to my core competencies of a technical background including experience of volume sales and delivery of bandwidth. When DC went tits-up my stated positions on the business plan were vindicated but did leave me in a position of defending against accusations that my criticism had somehow attributed to the eventual and predictable demise of the project. I called it the "Perkins McCarthy Defence" of the indefensible at the time. Even Tomlinson got in on the act on BBC Wiltshire radio but later apologised. We kissed and made up.  :o

I did dabble in the corporate side digging out the information on the IoM link and questions on basic company set-up errors and lack of due diligence.  I know my limitations enough to realise that I was not going to get into a corporate knowledge winky waving competition with Mr Morgan as I knew he possessed a sizeable corporate / boardroom mechanics knowledge wanger compared to my small business tiddler. It's all in the core competencies.

Likewise with the SBC report that is being authored, as I am not / and unlikely to be on the inside and not fully versed in the wheels within wheels at the Council, my assistance is ancillary and hopefully of some use and feel it is best left to those with the accumulated knowledge of service to collate.

It seems to me that people are working to their strengths, know their limitations and are pulling in the same direction even if it is taking a long time.

Once again, sorry to have disappointed.

Cheers
Chris

Chris, I think that what was trying to say was that you were extremely vocal on the Wi-fi debacle until you joined the Labour Party.  Your post is lengthy but does not actually add anything to the debate.  Will you please correct that and comment? 

If you want to get elected and not just take a ticket in a safe seat people need to know what you think and thereby why they should vote for you?  To those of us who know you well know that you have teeth and an opinion so please express it!!

As for my opinion all I can say at this time that this is far from over and if Rod Bluh had been big enough to admit he had made a mistake we would not be here now, but as the paper says who agreed to pay Hunt £12,000 per month and more importantly why would they allow him to do so when no business was being generated to pay for it?

No wonder Bluh resigned!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

Chris - I wasn't for one instant suggesting that you'd stopped once you joined - I wanted to point out that your comments began before your association with the Labour party.

Sorry to have disappointed Tobes and please accept my appologies. I feel in this matter that  I worked to my core competencies of a technical background including experience of volume sales and delivery of bandwidth.

Now you're doing a 'Des Moffat' and personalising the issue. Where did I say I was disappointed in your efforts? Quite the contrary. But I am (along with many other tax payers) disappointed - but encouraged -  that the most effective challenge to WiFiasco by far appeared to come from a member of the public, NOT from the numerous members of the official opposition.

I don't expect you to take personal responsibility for the poor collective performance of your colleagues.

You and Des Moffat are tilting at the wrong windmill.

Chris, I think that what [Tobes] was trying to say was that you were extremely vocal on the Wi-fi debacle until you joined the Labour Party.  Your post is lengthy but does not actually add anything to the debate.  Will you please correct that and comment?

If you want to get elected and not just take a ticket in a safe seat people need to know what you think and thereby why they should vote for you?  To those of us who know you well know that you have teeth and an opinion so please express it!!

I would hope you know that I like and respect you. I'm also agreeing with Richard again (it seems to be becoming a habit recently!) so I hope by that alone you might see that I'm being objective as I can be on this issue.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:34:37 PM by Tobes »

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
If you'd like to click this link, and then click on the first podcast in the list you can hear me speechless (it doesn't happen very often) talking about the wi-fi on today's Home Run Show

http://www.swindon1055.com/ondemand/

Enjoy!

Thank you Jon. I listened this morning. Any chance of someone posting a copy of the Adver Editor's comments about the Wi-Fi that Jon mentioned? Presumably in the edition dated 29th April?
What's it all about?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 12:56:19 PM »
Chris, I think that what was trying to say was that you were extremely vocal on the Wi-fi debacle until you joined the Labour Party.  Your post is lengthy but does not actually add anything to the debate.  Will you please correct that and comment? 
Dismount Richard. It would seem that you misinterpreted the comment in the same way I did. Always a risk with the written word as many a religious war through the annals of time will testify. It good to talk...
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
Des M - thank you for being fair about Peter and Brian.

Perhaps things could be looked at another way. The debate and attention of Talkswindon contributors as well as other concerned members of the public has shown dissatisfaction with the way tax payers money has been handled. I suspect members of the business community will have similar misgivings. However in spite of the condemnation of some council members it is those very same members who have supported the investigation or have provided evidence. I am not sure what was the turning point however it has become clear that this matter had to be addressed or else any future investments in ventures would have been resisted and any discussion on rebuilding trust through transparency would be seen as empty rhetoric.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »
Always a risk with the written word as many a religious war through the annals of time will testify. It good to talk...

Too true!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
Interesting to note that comments are now closed on the Adver Article

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10387650.Wi_fi_boss_was_paid___12k_a_month____but_who_agreed_to_it_/?ref=ar

Comments(59)

StillPav says...
9:35am Tue 30 Apr 13

The story isn't clear, but it implies that Hunt received £12,000 a month as CE of Digital City IN ADDITION to his consultancy receiving £105,067 in fees - or am I reading it wrong?

I think the only way out of this for the council and particular Perkins is complete disclousure of where every penny went.

Perkins saying "that he had provided more detail than the director of a private company would" is not satisfactory in my opinion, because a private company would typically be funded with money from the directors, whereas this shenanigans was funded by the taxpayer and therefore disclosure should be similar to what is required of a publically owned company.

REPORT THIS POST »
Ringer says...
9:49am Tue 30 Apr 13

£16,000 on billing, collections and debt management.

For a company with a turnover of just £5000?

The 'management' in charge of Digital City will surely never work again.

Mr Hunt has also fallen into the very unwise trap of believing his own hype. Just because he may have been paid c.£100,000 in previous roles, it does not mean he 'deserved' £12,000 per month to head up a company with a - frankly laughable - £5000 turnover.

As for why the project failed, ask anyone with a Smartphone. Mobile internet access is quick and easy to obtain and costs next to nothing. When you also take into account the free Wi-Fi offered in many shops, pubs, restaurants and hotels, there was simply never going to be any demand for Digital City's offering (not that they ever really offered anything in any case!)

REPORT THIS POST »
Always Grumpy says...
9:52am Tue 30 Apr 13

It all smacks of corruption - someone in Swindon Council should be held responsible.
Perhaps the fraud squad should be involved in this debacle and if necessary followed up with prosecutions.

REPORT THIS POST »
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...
10:05am Tue 30 Apr 13

Ringer wrote:

£16,000 on billing, collections and debt management.

For a company with a turnover of just £5000?

The 'management' in charge of Digital City will surely never work again.

Mr Hunt has also fallen into the very unwise trap of believing his own hype. Just because he may have been paid c.£100,000 in previous roles, it does not mean he 'deserved' £12,000 per month to head up a company with a - frankly laughable - £5000 turnover.

As for why the project failed, ask anyone with a Smartphone. Mobile internet access is quick and easy to obtain and costs next to nothing. When you also take into account the free Wi-Fi offered in many shops, pubs, restaurants and hotels, there was simply never going to be any demand for Digital City's offering (not that they ever really offered anything in any case!)
Precisely. Anyone with even a modicum of technical knowledge could see this is exactly what was going to happen. It would never have been funded by private investors, they would have done due diligence and realised that the 'service' being offered was duplicating existing services but with a worse coverage. It was doomed to fail from the very first thought of the idea.

I still find it incredible that this council chose to do business with an individual known to be a bankrupt, and even chose to do "business mentoring" with someone that is very obviously not capable of running a business.

So, given the outcome, I have to believe that either

1) the council officers that approved this are grossly incompetent (in which case they should not be in such positions of responsibility and if they had any integrity would resign), or

2) they are corrupt and using public funds to suit their friends (in which case they should be investigated for fraud).

Which is it?

REPORT THIS POST »
peatmoor pirate says...
10:25am Tue 30 Apr 13

Someone must be able to get to the bottom of this. It's either fraud, in which case the police should be involved; mis-use of public money, in which case, surely there is a statutory body (Public Accounts Committee perhaps, Local Government Ombudsmen perhaps?) or absolutely appalling management, in which case Perkins and any other publicly elected official invloved in this should resign their position. As others have said, it is no good Perkins saying he's divulged more than he would as a Private Company Director, it wasn't his money, it was public money - that's not good enough.

REPORT THIS POST »
swindon_mini says...
10:55am Tue 30 Apr 13

Every time I read about Rikki Hunt it makes my blood boil.
In my opinion the guy is just an "Opportunist" and a very good one at that! The £450k could have been for anything, not just WiFi and he would have wangled his way in somehow.
Let’s take his CV. He talks about being the youngest MD of a British Fuel Company. Namely Burmah Petroleum Fuel Ltd. Which is true, but don’t get taken in by the Famous Swindon(ish) Oil Company with a similar name. Burmah Castrol Limited. They are not connected in anyway and the former is just a distributor, where as the later is a conglomerate.
Then lets take Swindon Town Football Club, Rikki was the first Chairman in its history to bankrupt the club, whilst at the same time drawing a wage.
Then Brunel FM, remember that? The bankrupted Radio Station.
Various other clothing and Property companies, all insolvent now.
Then there is Digital City. We all know the story behind that.
He now sells his experience as a “Successful” business man to wannabe start-ups, little do they know about this man. I wouldn’t be surprised if he next business was selling bomb detectors!

REPORT THIS POST »
LordAshOfTheBrake says...
11:05am Tue 30 Apr 13

Seems like some pretty dodgy goings on to me. Criminal investigations should be initiated to get to the bottom of it.

Where was Blur in all this?

REPORT THIS POST »
Nostim says...
11:15am Tue 30 Apr 13

Does the picture at the start of this article not say it all. Money money Money.

The whole of this tory administration should resign

REPORT THIS POST »
Ringer says...
11:27am Tue 30 Apr 13

Let's hope not, that might mean we'd end up with a Labour controlled council. Something that nobody wants.

REPORT THIS POST »
The Artist formally known as Grumpy Old Man says...
11:44am Tue 30 Apr 13

Ringer wrote:

Let's hope not, that might mean we'd end up with a Labour controlled council. Something that nobody wants.
Just one point, just because one Tory administration resigns, does not mean that a labour administration would automatically get in. A different Tory administration *could* get voted in...

In any case, they don't exactly have a huge majority now - at the next elections I think the existing Tory administration may have a few troubles...

REPORT THIS POST »
Davey Gravey says...
11:54am Tue 30 Apr 13

Ringer wrote:

Speak for yourself.

Regarding the above issue a full independent enquiry is needed and if necessary criminal charges brought. It was public money wasted here.

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
12:07pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Always Grumpy wrote:
It all smacks of corruption - someone in Swindon Council should be held responsible.
Perhaps the fraud squad should be involved in this debacle and if necessary followed up with prosecutions.
Why not ask the police to investigate then?

REPORT THIS POST »
A.Baron-Cohen says...
12:12pm Tue 30 Apr 13

I wonder how much of the taxpayer's money ended up funding tory councillors campaigns?

REPORT THIS POST »
EastleazeRed says...
12:24pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Isn't this the same Rikki Hunt that when director of SwindonTown football club , sent the then manager Steve Mc Mahon on one of his companies management training courses and then charged the club the sum of £50, 000 for the privilege ? Enough said !

REPORT THIS POST »
AdderB says...
12:29pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Some while back Rod Bluh claimed Swindon council would get back £450K they lost on the failed WIFI project.

Unless I missed something , it has not be paid back.

No wonder Rod Bluh resigned in a fanfare of publicity saying how marvellous he had been.

Any chance of our money back please Rod and Ricki ? .

This whole farce is a fraud and should be seen as such.

REPORT THIS POST »
Morsey says...
12:50pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Has Bluh stepped down because he knows the sh1t is going to hit the fan soon? Will Perkins pick up total responsibility?

Incidentally, Labour politicians here don't appear to have 'big noises' in the corridors waiting to con them like the current inadequate Tory crowd, who have managed to totally hoodwink so many Swindon residents as they play with / gamble with finances just like the crooked bankers did!

REPORT THIS POST »
MarksDad says...
1:05pm Tue 30 Apr 13

The coaching to council officers given to assist the move to an 'arms length company', 'which actually is a 'wholly owned subsidary' was arranged by the MD os SCS following a period when Rikki Hunt wason the interim board.

It has to be said that it was a regurgatation of very old an outdated material , delivered by a foul mouthed individual that Rikki Hunt is. He alienated many of the attendees.

It was not useful and I know many of the participants complained about his conduct and the content at the time.

Money for old rope comes to mind.

REPORT THIS POST »
house on the hill says...
1:13pm Tue 30 Apr 13

This is probably just the tip of a very big and unsavory iceberg, but who wants to bet they will get away with it? Discraceful and unsurprising which speaks volumes!

REPORT THIS POST »
Ringer says...
1:29pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Morsey wrote:
Has Bluh stepped down because he knows the sh1t is going to hit the fan soon? Will Perkins pick up total responsibility?

Incidentally, Labour politicians here don't appear to have 'big noises' in the corridors waiting to con them like the current inadequate Tory crowd, who have managed to totally hoodwink so many Swindon residents as they play with / gamble with finances just like the crooked bankers did!
I'm afraid that nobody, but nobody, gambled with the nation's finances more than Blair & Brown.

Labour politicians, both nationally and locally, have all proven, time and time again, that they cannot be responsible with our money.

Hence the reason we're currently facing the economic and financial disaster left behind by the last Labour government.

REPORT THIS POST »
Bert of Bassett says...
1:53pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Nostim wrote:
Does the picture at the start of this article not say it all. Money money Money.

It was pretty obvious from existing technology and Mr Hunt's record with STFC that this was never going to work.

The stupidity and ignorance are wholly the fault of the members of SBC who insisted on using local taxpayers money for this nonsense

I have no idea why people want to confuse this local corruption with national politics

REPORT THIS POST »
2:11pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Nostim wrote:

Was it only the Tory's at the time who backed the project?

Surely it should be ANY Councillor who was in favour of the project at the time that should be resigning.

REPORT THIS POST »
Bert of Bassett says...
2:24pm Tue 30 Apr 13

LordAshOfTheBrake wrote:
Nostim wrote:

Surely it should be ANY Councillor who was in favour of the project at the time that should be resigning.
Well....

As councilor Perkins decided it was a worthy enterprise to become a director of it, he should be pretty high in the resignation stakes.

Which party is he a local candidate of

REPORT THIS POST »
candid friend says...
2:48pm Tue 30 Apr 13

This stinks. RH has been circling the Council for years looking for a mug who would allow him to rip off the ratepayers.
He obviously found several mugs amongst the leadership of the Tory Group and suspect officers.
Why has no one been prosecuted, or dismissed without compensation?
This is a giant cover up. The truth will only be revealed when Labour get control and open to books to public examination.
It highlights the problems of gullible councillors getting too close to con men .
This charlatan was even mentoring sen ior officers!
It is unbelievable!

REPORT THIS POST »
Always Grumpy says...
2:51pm Tue 30 Apr 13

A.Baron-Cohen wrote:
I wonder how much of the taxpayer's money ended up funding tory councillors campaigns?
Does the story mention that, or are you just unable to grasp what is going on, as usual?

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
3:06pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Ringer wrote:
Morsey wrote:

I'm afraid that nobody, but nobody, gambled with the nation's finances more than Blair & Brown.

Labour politicians, both nationally and locally, have all proven, time and time again, that they cannot be responsible with our money.

Hence the reason we're currently facing the economic and financial disaster left behind by the last Labour government.
You cant blame this mess on labour can you Ringer /Tim.

REPORT THIS POST »
RichardR1 says...
3:08pm Tue 30 Apr 13

I understand the shares he failed to declare had something to do with the Supermarine complex, nice to see someone dobbed him in, having his bankruptcy extended must have really put him out.

REPORT THIS POST »
nigelej says...
3:11pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Ringer wrote:

I don't think you can say on one wants . I'm sure when people see this there not going to have to much confidence in this bunch . Problem is councilers and politicians all seem to be either liers or currupt and I think our younger generation have lost faith and trust in any of them . I personally wouldn't want to say I'm happy with any of them . Any other business would have had the fraud squad in by now .

REPORT THIS POST »
female resident says...
3:31pm Tue 30 Apr 13

This on the same day of reports there may no longer be funding for the Wyvern or Arts Centre. Makes you weep. Harold Joliffe will be turning in his grave.

REPORT THIS POST »
3:52pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Bert of Bassett wrote:
LordAshOfTheBrake wrote:
Nostim wrote:

Well....

As councilor Perkins decided it was a worthy enterprise to become a director of it, he should be pretty high in the resignation stakes.

Which party is he a local candidate of
Absolutely I'd agree his position is untenable.

However it should also apply to any Councillors of the time who were in favour. If only because they failed in their care and duty to monitor the business.

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
3:53pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Eastleaze
Lesson being--dont make claims unless you know how to deal with them.

REPORT THIS POST »
Wellfire says...
3:58pm Tue 30 Apr 13

swindon_mini wrote:
Every time I read about Rikki Hunt it makes my blood boil.
In my opinion the guy is just an "Opportunist" and a very good one at that! The £450k could have been for anything, not just WiFi and he would have wangled his way in somehow.
Let’s take his CV. He talks about being the youngest MD of a British Fuel Company. Namely Burmah Petroleum Fuel Ltd. Which is true, but don’t get taken in by the Famous Swindon(ish) Oil Company with a similar name. Burmah Castrol Limited. They are not connected in anyway and the former is just a distributor, where as the later is a conglomerate.
Then lets take Swindon Town Football Club, Rikki was the first Chairman in its history to bankrupt the club, whilst at the same time drawing a wage.
Then Brunel FM, remember that? The bankrupted Radio Station.
Various other clothing and Property companies, all insolvent now.
Then there is Digital City. We all know the story behind that.
He now sells his experience as a “Successful” business man to wannabe start-ups, little do they know about this man. I wouldn’t be surprised if he next business was selling bomb detectors!
Just to correct you, the Burmah Petroluem Fuel Ltd of which Mr Hunt was a director was wholly owned by Burmah Castrol. Burmah pulled out of oil refining in the early 80s - that's when I left them - and their petrol stations were supplied from then onwards by purchases from other refiners. Many of my former colleagues worked under Mr. Hunt - I never did - and opinions were mixed, to say the least. He was never the 'oil tycoon' he was sometimes portrayed. He was a divisional director at Burmah but was never on the main board.

Later in my career I spent some years analysing investment opportunities for a group of private investors, some of whom are well known names. They would never have invested in Digital City, and I would never have recommended that they do. One of my routine tasks when the investors showed interest was to look at the books, determine who was being paid for what and the authorisations for it. It is basic due diligence. For Mr. Perkins to say that he assumed it had been agreed isn't good enough. He was there to safeguard the Council's (i.e. the council tax payers) interests. It was not his business to assume anything.

REPORT THIS POST »
EastleazeRed says...
4:20pm Tue 30 Apr 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Eastleaze
Lesson being--dont make claims unless you know how to deal with them.
:-D

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
4:22pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Wellfire
With respect--you would have had great difficulty looking at the councils books--well covered in public law.

REPORT THIS POST »
Ringer says...
5:07pm Tue 30 Apr 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Ringer wrote:
Morsey wrote:

You cant blame this mess on labour can you Ringer /Tim.
I hadn't tried to.

Why, can you blame it on Labour?

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
5:18pm Tue 30 Apr 13

I don't blame it on anyone in particular--but it does show your beloved tories in a very bad light.

REPORT THIS POST »
Bert of Bassett says...
5:39pm Tue 30 Apr 13

itsamess3 wrote:
I don't blame it on anyone in particular--but it does show your beloved tories in a very bad light.
I'm guessing that councilor Perkins is a tory then.

Bizarre that he didn't realise Mr Hunt was being paid

Some director

REPORT THIS POST »
Hmmmf says...
6:02pm Tue 30 Apr 13

On the upside, we're getting a shiny new 4G LTE CCTV camera hookup soon to 'robustly' look at the town centre, all for just 100k! Bargain.

REPORT THIS POST »
Empty Car Park says...
6:11pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Hmmmf wrote:
On the upside, we're getting a shiny new 4G LTE CCTV camera hookup soon to 'robustly' look at the town centre, all for just 100k! Bargain.
That's not really the same topic though is it

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
6:17pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Hmmmf wrote:
Absolutely--will make no difference though.

REPORT THIS POST »
whaddahey?! says...
6:33pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Resignations HAVE to follow this absolute farce. To have utterly wasted so much money at a tim when services are being cut, due to nothing else but sheer incompetance shows the councilors involved are simply unfit to servce.

REPORT THIS POST »
Hmmmf says...
6:33pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Empty Car Park wrote:
Hmmmf wrote:
Well, yes it is. Certainly moreso than the party-political griping and ad hominems going on which you don't seem to be complaining about.

Most people here appear to think that spending £450k on a wireless network that didn't do anything useful was a waste of taxpayers' money.

I consider spending £100k on another wireless network which also won't do anything useful a waste of taxpayers' money.

See the topicality now?

REPORT THIS POST »
Always Grumpy says...
6:47pm Tue 30 Apr 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Hmmmf wrote:
Absolutely--will make no difference though.
Of course, you know that for a certainty? Evidence please!

REPORT THIS POST »
Wellfire says...
6:57pm Tue 30 Apr 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Wellfire
With respect--you would have had great difficulty looking at the councils books--well covered in public law.
Why would I need to look at the council's books had I been looking at Digital City on behalf of a group of private investors?

Why would Mr. Perkins need to look at the council's books to determine who was being paid at Digital City? This should be a matter of record in Digital City's books.

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
7:14pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Wellfire that's being evasive--these things are a matter of public record--so do tell why these questions have not been answered--and why a poster claims corruption.

REPORT THIS POST »
7:57pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Are we likely to get back on topic anytime soon or is this the Jeremy Kyle show!

REPORT THIS POST »
swindon_mini says...
8:27pm Tue 30 Apr 13

house on the hill wrote:
Are we likely to get back on topic anytime soon or is this the Jeremy Kyle show!
Jerry, jerry, jerry. Sorry wrong show;)

REPORT THIS POST »
8:34pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Given that Perkins appears to claim ignorance as to the goings on at Digital City and that he is also a director of Swindon Commercial Services which also handles a large amount of council tax payers money, questions should be asked about his role as a director in that organisation too.

http://companycheck.
co.uk/director/90309
4488#current-appoint
ments

REPORT THIS POST »
8:54pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Is that not a conflict of interest that he is a director of a company wholly owned by SBC and who share in its profits so have a vested interest in pushing council contracts their way. If it isn't legally then it's very dodgy at the very least. The smell at the civic is as bad as the one at waterside.

REPORT THIS POST »
Ringer says...
9:16pm Tue 30 Apr 13

itsamess3 wrote:
Again, you're merely highlighting your own inability to both read and understand simple English language.

I have no 'love' for the Tories, I just happen to support anyone who has the best chance of keeping Labour from getting anywhere near power - be that at local or national level.

And if you really want to talk about 'blame', yes, I do very much blame the Labour government for the squandering of billions upon billions of our money and saddling all of us, and our children, with an insurmountable level of debt and interest repayments. In light of that, a bunch of local half-wits giving away £450k to a snakeoil salesman provides barely a snigger.

REPORT THIS POST »
Empty Car Park says...
9:44pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Hmmmf wrote:
Empty Car Park wrote:
Hmmmf wrote:
Well, yes it is. Certainly moreso than the party-political griping and ad hominems going on which you don't seem to be complaining about.

Most people here appear to think that spending £450k on a wireless network that didn't do anything useful was a waste of taxpayers' money.

I consider spending £100k on another wireless network which also won't do anything useful a waste of taxpayers' money.

See the topicality now?
Yes, I see what you mean.

Agree with your point about the political cloak and dagger nonsense to.

The only relevance is that any corruption and incompetence needs to be flushed out

It should be investigated from the top.
Particularly leading / cabinet members

The rot needs to be stopped

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
9:58pm Tue 30 Apr 13

Ringer wrote:
itsamess3 wrote:
Again, you're merely highlighting your own inability to both read and understand simple English language.

I have no 'love' for the Tories, I just happen to support anyone who has the best chance of keeping Labour from getting anywhere near power - be that at local or national level.

And if you really want to talk about 'blame', yes, I do very much blame the Labour government for the squandering of billions upon billions of our money and saddling all of us, and our children, with an insurmountable level of debt and interest repayments. In light of that, a bunch of local half-wits giving away £450k to a snakeoil salesman provides barely a snigger.
On a loser then Tim

REPORT THIS POST »
10:18pm Tue 30 Apr 13

house on the hill wrote:
Is that not a conflict of interest that he is a director of a company wholly owned by SBC and who share in its profits so have a vested interest in pushing council contracts their way. If it isn't legally then it's very dodgy at the very least. The smell at the civic is as bad as the one at waterside.
I would think so too. At least there are more than 2 directors in that company so there should be some additional checks and balances.

With Digital City it looks as though there were just the 2 of them.

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
11:13pm Tue 30 Apr 13

A.G.
Yes yes--but do tell us how you plan to prove your claim.

REPORT THIS POST »
http://Www.Swindon.Org.UK says...
11:30pm Tue 30 Apr 13

The 'Swindon MonoRail' wi-fiasko is never going to be explained properly because not many people in Swindon care enough about bollocktics to pay it any attention.

The next DC is the Oasis which has been given away to new companies just like DC and aQovia with no proper track records.
As for ScS it only works for SBC it only a 'private' company so they could get rid of the staff and cut cost of future pensions.
The work it does is often poor, rushed and never quite finished.

Rather than send things to the police who never seem interested in crime unless there's a TV crew about, they should send it to Melinda Messenger, Crime stoppers, etc..
If DC was brought up in the house of Commons in 2009 and nothing happened I doubt anything will happen in any nimber of SBC meetings.
it needs a Panorama or similar.

REPORT THIS POST »
Ringer says...
7:26am Wed 1 May 13

itsamess3 wrote:
A.G.
That's rich, you NEVER back up any of your claims, EVER.

REPORT THIS POST »
7:42am Wed 1 May 13

itsamess3 wrote:
A.G.
He never made a claim. He voiced an opinion.

The exact quote from AG was "It all smacks of corruption"......

For someone who bleats on about their superiority you do have a track record of not reading what is actually written properly and not backing up your own claims.

REPORT THIS POST »
RichardR1 says...
7:58am Wed 1 May 13

'It all smacks of corruption - someone in Swindon Council should be held responsible.'

Sound familiar Mr Itsamess, I think anyone who understands just the tiniest bit of the English language would agree that Always Grumpy is making a general observation and not accusing anyone.

As for a police investigation, as I understand it, it has been reported several times to the police, and no further action was taken.

REPORT THIS POST »
itsamess3 says...
8:09am Wed 1 May 13

Always Grumpy wrote:
Just to repeat the complete words boys--always best to read all of it--not just part.

REPORT THIS POST »
I Could Do That says...
8:54am Wed 1 May 13

Apparently lead members, of the Tory administration at SBC, went on a misguided business venture.

They spent lots of taxpayers money on it.

When it wasn't going to plan, they could have listened to comments from the public or opposition members

Instead they offered and payed the 2nd investment of taxpayers money

The administration would have done better to admit mistakes earlier.

Now they seem to want to distance themselves from their blunder.
Unfortunately they still don't listen and will therefore continue with their blunders.

It is time for a big shakeup in the civic offices

REPORT THIS POST »
Comments are closed on this article.

Email
Print this page
Comment(59)
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group