Author Topic: Recording Council Meetings #2 - What Do We Want The Video To Look Like?  (Read 7812 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Recording Council Meetings #2 - What Do We Want The Video To Look Like?
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
They both waffled and evaded; one saying that they did not audit the accounts for the year in question and then when I asked about the previous year he stated that, "Once accounts have been audited and signed off. they cannot be reopened." So it went on.

Mabe they can't re-open them for transactions, but surely that's why they are audited. And surely they can be still questioned! 

I'm not sure about the 'keeping' of company accounts, but 7 years seem to be a time set that they must be kept, so if they can't be questioned or re-opened, why not chuck them straight away.

Some of their funders amy have imposed a longer time to keep them.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Recording Council Meetings #2 - What Do We Want The Video To Look Like?
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 04:25:05 PM »
Yes indeed Muggins. As far as these characters were concerned the audits had beed carried out and a low life was questioning their professional abilities. They were not prepared to even consider that they had missed a criminal transaction or two. There also never held to account for accepting their auditing fees year upon year even after a court case which described the very transactions that they missed. This seems to have happened with all the banks that had to be bailed out as well.
What's it all about?

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »
I need a "like" button - for the comments by Muggins and OOT. This is one of the major contributing factors to the financial situation we are now in.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
By shear serendipity between me writing my comment about auditors this morning and reading Muggins and Alex's comments this afternoon, I managed to sit down and pick up today's Private Eye.

Page 1 top right column:

Andrew Tyrie’s Treasury Select Committee should read the Eye more carefully.

Last June we pointed out that the proposed new chairman of the Financial Conduct Authority, John Griffith-Jones, was running accountancy firm KPMG as it gave squeaky-clean audit certificates to financial basket cases including Bradford & Bingley and HBOS.

Four months later Tyrie’s committee held a new-style “confirmation” hearing with Griffith-Jones. Alas, the MPs, largely glossed over the fact that his firm had repeatedly reassured the markets and regulators that HBOS accounts that vastly overstated the value of its assets gave a “true and fair view”.

That's just the first couple of paragraphs but lets not forget that when the accounts were OK, all was secret, now the whole HBOSs etc affair has been blown up?

The Eye report goes on to say how after Jessie Norman MP asked a question, Griffith-Jones...said,  "the accounts of HBOS did bear a sense of reality...."

The ex-KPMG chief was then duly appointed as the chair of the UK's financial watchdog.

I say that the two definitions of HBOS accounts represent some climb down! All con tricks and fraud "bear a sense of reality" numpy. That's how it works!

With thanks all credit and due deference to Private Eye magazine.

What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »

Note re: Home addresses & video of meetings.

I think my default position will be to always remove home addresses from the audio unless the speaker specifically asks for their address to remain audible.

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
You can always use the 'data protection' thing if needs be.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
So Cllr Martin is now officially Mayor http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10428191.We___re_in_this_together__says_Swindon_s_new_mayor/

Perhaps it's time for some background music to liven-up videos of council meeting he is chairing?  I think Yakety Sax (Benny Hill theme tune) might be appropriate  ;D  :D

Benny Hill Theme Small | Large

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Actually, looking quickly through yesterdays footage I think he's started quite well although the controlling group has already pushed through something which, (although it might suit them politically), will further damage the reputation of the council and impede local democracy by another significant degree.

I have to say that I still find the spectacle of Mayor and Deputy Mayor voting at every vote particularly unedifying, and eapecially so in the light of yesterdays 'No more motions' during the May council meetings vote.

Cllr Dickinsons speech on the same is an eyeopener and Brian Cockbill taking the administration to task over its approval of innaccurate minutes is well worth listening to carefully - well done Brian, I applaud you. :clap:

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline Richard Symonds

I have to say that I still find the spectacle of Mayor and Deputy Mayor voting at every vote particularly unedifying, and eapecially so in the light of yesterdays 'No more motions' during the May council meetings vote.

Cllr Dickinsons speech on the same is an eyeopener and Brian Cockbill taking the administration to task over its approval of innaccurate minutes is well worth listening to carefully - well done Brian, I applaud you. :clap:

Yes, I must admit I do have a real problem with all this political B******s, and all the more so as the Mayorial and Deputy Mayorial votes cancel one another out. I would go as far as to say it was distasteful!

I wonder how Rod will get on with the Deputy Mayor's particularly interesting way of casting her vote?

And as for the minutes, does it prove that either NONE of the Councillors actually read them or does it mean that they do not care as to what they do or do not contain? 

Is it acceptable that apart from being woefully inadequate that they are also inaccurate?

Wholly unsatisfactory and well done Brian for not being afraid to point it out.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline bobwright

Minutes that the council produce refer to key elements such as decisions or questions. What is key to someone may vary from another however the people most likely to remember what was said at a meeting which happened six weeks previous are going to be those involved.

I recall a deliberation at the previous Council meeting which discussed Croft and this was not open to the public and opposition members. Its attachment to Brian's question was a mistake however it fitted with part of the meeting. It is why some members wanted meetings to be recorded so errors of this nature will not happen. Recall is a flawed way of establishing facts or details however it has been the tradition.