Author Topic: Recording Council Meetings #2 - What Do We Want The Video To Look Like?  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
I finally found some time to have a proper look at how to best publish videos of council meetings and, thanks to a generous birthday pressie from DaMellon, I've finally replaced the old video software I've been loyally suffering with for the last 10 years.

I've used a 4 minute clip from the start of a recent council meeting to have a quick dabble.  I think this short demo dispels most of the the criticism (in the council authored report) levelled at Richards camerawork.  The reason I asked Richard not to touch the zoom control on the camera will become apparent a couple of minutes into the clip - it's not necessary.

I've corrected the 'tilted viewing angles' - this was a result of Richard being required to film 'off-centre' from the public gallery. We can work around that again but it would be preferable to film from a central point in the gallery.  An even better solution would be camera 1 in the public gallery and a 2nd camera downstairs on the press table - this enable us to view the front and back benches - probably keeping camera 1 static (looking at the front benches) and use camera 2 to record debate and comment from the back benchers. 

Anyhoo, I'd like your opinion on this 4 minute clip: (It starts in a default setting of 480p)

Selectable Quality:  240p/360p/480p/720pHD/1080pHD

Downloadable from Youtube?: Yes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oaVvoVXdtEI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oaVvoVXdtEI</a>

View full size in browser: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaVvoVXdtEI#ws

Does the video supply sufficient (but not too much) on-screen information for viewers to understand the proceedings?

Is the video clear at all selectable resolutions on your pc? - would lower resolutions be acceptable or do you prefer to have high definition available?

Is the zooming too fast/slow/confusing or does it accurately reflect the pace of the meeting?

Does the presence of the timecode in the top right corner irritate you? or would you find it useful to reference specific points of the debate?

Do the colour of the titles and their background need changing?

And, yes....we do need to do something about the volume. Gaining access to an audio feed from the p.a system in the chamber would be ideal but if that isn't possible we'll need to look at using extra microphones instead of the on-board microphones on the camera.

For da geeks.... This is a side-by-side comparison of the original vs processed footage:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vfv0RWhcRY4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vfv0RWhcRY4</a>

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:49:47 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Mr Perkins' hair looks nice.

All shiny.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Does the video supply sufficient (but not too much) on-screen information for viewers to understand the proceedings?

It definitely helps to know who's talking and what they've just decided. I think I understood a lot more about that meeting from watching the video than I would had I been there in person. It would be nice to know who voted for and against the proceedings being filmed, and who the cllrs were who declared an interest, but that's a long way above and beyond what I'd normally do.

Is the video clear at all selectable resolutions on your pc? - would lower resolutions be acceptable or do you prefer to have high definition available?

The video you've embedded above is actually rather wider than my monitor, so I went to its page on youtue and watched it there. Looked fine to me. As long as we can see that the person who's speaking is the same one that the caption says is speaking, and a random person with whom we share the video can also see the same when supplied with a photo of said person, then I think it's OK.

Is the zooming too fast/slow/confusing or does it accurately reflect the pace of the meeting?

No problems with the camera work :)

Does the presence of the timecode in the top right corner irritate you? or would you find it useful to reference specific points of the debate?

Just as long as it doesn't obscure something I'm trying to look at, I don't have a problem with it

Do the colour of the titles and their background need changing?

Not for me.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Ah....an apology to Richard, from whom I've just received a message, and to the Mayor, from whom I've not heard yet.

It seems that Richard thought he had switched the camera off after initially setting it up - intending to wait until the motion was carried before filming.  I don't think I briefed him properly on starting up & shutting the camera down - he thought it was switched off.  It seems TS has the 'Accidental Cameraman', all we need now is an 'Accidental Direc....' NO!, let's not go there  ;D

We were pushed for time before the last meeting but I'll make a point of allowing more time for instruction before the next one.

For the demo I grabbed the first available clip which happens to be one Richard didn't know he'd recorded.  My error - if the Mayor requests its removal I'll happily oblige, although I do think he looks particularly resplendent in 1080p and the cabinet really are videogenic - I don't think they really need to worry about reputational damage :)

@ Simon: Thanks, the zooming is done purely in the editing stages - it's why I asked Richard not to use the camera zoom :)

At some point I'll re-do the budget debate video in the same/similar style.

I think future videos should follow a consistant style.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
@ Simon: Thanks, the zooming is done purely in the editing stages - it's why I asked Richard not to use the camera zoom :)

Sounds like you're using rather more sophisticated video editing software than wot I got free with Windows.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

It is rather good )

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline bobwright

I will declare an interest - Bald head ready for advertising purposes at future meetings.

Offline Muggins

Just the sound for me, it's not just the volume, but it's a sounds bit fuzzy - or is that my hearing?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Okey dokey:  Several people (on and offline) have commented on the size of the youtube video player (at post#1).  I've reduced the size of the player so hopefully it will now display properly on smaller screens :)  Viewers can view the video in full screen mode by clicking the 'full screen' icon in the far bottom right of the Youtube video player window.

Just the sound for me, it's not just the volume, but it's a sounds bit fuzzy - or is that my hearing?

It is slightly fuzzy - it's because the audio is from the twin camera microphones and not taken directly from the p.a system in the chamber.  I haven't 'treated' the audio stream on either the demo video or Richards original footage (already published) but we will adjust volume levels and do what we can to clean the audio up on future recordings :)

Offline Muggins

Yeh, that and the Mayor is talking into his Fichu.  ::)
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Re: Recording Council Meetings #2 - What Do We Want The Video To Look Like?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
Okey dokey:  Several people (on and offline) have commented on the size of the youtube video player (at post#1).  I've reduced the size of the player so hopefully it will now display properly on smaller screens

I just sit a bit further away from the screen.

Sometimes, when Rob posts, I sit so far away I can't even see the screen.

Slightly tenuous, but interesting, are we at the point yet where nothing on video can be taken at face value. I'm not off on a conspiracy jaunt, it's just that software is getting so clever that the statement about the camera never lying has to be close to redundant.

I'm a novice at this stuff, in fact largely ignorant, but the amount of stuff you can apparently do is a bit mind boggling.

Makes SBC claims of hundreds of thousands of pounds to film meetings sound like guff. With a slight buzz.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »
Makes SBC claims of hundreds of thousands of pounds to film meetings sound like guff. ...
Would anyone be surprised if it did turn out to be guff.

I'm all for the videos going out.

Life's too short to attend the civic offices too often.

The videos will help voters to put the x in the correct box and can only be good for local democracy

What's the chances of SBC coming up with an excuse to ban such essential activity?
Proud to be gone

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
The videos will help voters to put the x in the correct box and can only be good for local democracy

There was no correct box for me last time, and gawd knows I tried to find one. I'd consider arguing that people putting ticks in boxes is generally not good for local democracy, but I've just accidentally painted the bathroom and fancy a beer and some dinner. There will be chips, I'm in a chip kind of mood, maybe with mayo to demonstrate that I am cosmopolitan and that my loathing of Europe is not so much xenophobia as much as a dislike for the political feckwittery that emanates from it.

What's the chances of SBC coming up with an excuse to ban such essential activity?

Fair to excellent. Also, it'll be our fault.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »
I and others know the high costs are a nonsense. I have a splendid recording of last years carol service in council chamber which was recorded in high definition. You will probably understand my confidence as the singing is clear and crisp reflecting the quality of the choir. The roving camera work proved what could be done with quality recorder.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 08:44:25 AM »
Hang on to that Carol Service recodring it might be good to compare with the meetings when they do eventually get filmed........looks like it's getting closer.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
I think the video is good and no doubt Geoff will tinker it perfect over subsequent editions. Has TSTV arrived  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Looks like it's up for debate then

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10346387.Swindon_councillors_to_debate_webcasts_of_meetings/?action=success

Not surprised that Dale Heenan is not enthusiastic

I wonder if there are legal implications of forbidding open recordings of "public meetings"
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »

There was no correct box for me last time, and gawd knows I tried to find one. I'd consider arguing that people putting ticks in boxes is generally not good for local democracy, but I've just accidentally painted the bathroom and fancy a beer and some dinner. There will be chips, I'm in a chip kind of mood, maybe with mayo to demonstrate that I am cosmopolitan and that my loathing of Europe is not so much xenophobia as much as a dislike for the political feckwittery that emanates from it.

Fair to excellent. Also, it'll be our fault.

I fear that, as Richard prepares to leave to film tonights meeting, the Borough Solicitor has already been placed in his path with the intention of blocking our view. 

https://twitter.com/Talkswindon/status/322372216819953664

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »
I fear that, as Richard prepares to leave to film tonights meeting, the Borough Solicitor has already been placed in his path with the intention of blocking our view. 

How did it go?

Did he get in?

:coolsmiley:
Proud to be gone

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »

Is he a big chubby bloke then?

I've got this vision of Chinese soldiers pushing away the inquisitive cameras of a Western press. I don't think I'm having an attack of the vapours, nor am I about to chain myself to any railings (all melted down to make an aircraft carrier) but the approaches have some similarities.