Author Topic: 1st Shoot of 2013  (Read 8564 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: 1st Shoot of 2013
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
Snapped my fork handle today.

Four candles ?

After I'd stopped alternately swearing, wincing and cursing Homebase.....the fork candles gag was badly enacted, yes :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 06:33:48 PM »
How's it all doing in your gardens?   Mine has sprung to life this last two weeks and I've even managed to fill more than my 4 bag allowance with brambles - the blessed things keep coming in from the Copse  - that and Wood Avens, which I have given a coating of weed killer. I don't like using it, but needs must.

The Spanish bluebells have come up and bloomed in a couple of weeks so they've caught up.

By checking photo's, the early Apple Blossom down the Orchard is now only a week behind what it was this time last year. The earlier stuff like the plum and cherry was late though, so unusually we have the two together.  All trees are in various stages of bud, baby leaf, blossom according to when they fruit. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »
Snapped my fork handle today.

Four candles ?

After I'd stopped alternately swearing, wincing and cursing Homebase.....the fork candles gag was badly enacted, yes :)

Snap to the snap....

I broke my spade handle last week. Which was a shame as it was of some sentimental value.

It was the one I nefariously obtained during my last job for SBC.
There goes my last link to the place.... Still, never mind. Have seen a nice replacement wooden handle in th white stores marlborough that will do nicely.

Now to try and get the old handle out

Offline Muggins

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »
In old age you will be able to say that you have never needed a new spade, that the old one has lasted you well and you've only needed to replace the handle 15 times and the spade end 10 times. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
1st Shoot of 2013
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 08:45:11 AM »
Burn it out but do not overheat the blade as it will soften it. (Annealed!) If the blade does get overheated, plunge it quickly and evenly into cold water. (Hardened and Tempered is the term then.)
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »
Pretty spring picture to cheer you up - blimey I actually got a photo up.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »
On a high from getting one photo up I'm trying another -  at the back of the trees you can see out Blackcurrants - doing well.

The tree in bloom is an Apple  - 'Sunset'  we have 45 apple varieties x 4 of each, selected to give a long fruiting season the first should be ripe start of August and the last through to January, there are about three cooker varieties and two cider, the rest are desert, pick 'em fresh and eat 'em, except we've found that it's best to leave it a few days to give the apples time to stop taking and start giving.

I have now lost count of the others, pears, plums, Quinces (Oullin's Quince is my favourite) The blackcurrants, some straggly raspberries, Gooseberries and strawberries. and a Mulberry.