Author Topic: Oasis redevelopment  (Read 65878 times)

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
Re: Oasis redevelopment
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Greenbridge feels a bit semi light industrial with mix of other uses on site.

I much prefer Greenbridge to Shaw Ridge. The latter has always seemed to be in decline. Failed pub, failed night club and a generally tired run down feel to the place. Greenbridge always seems busy in comparison.

I agree that 2 new cinemas aren't needed. I wonder if Regents Circus and Oasis will charge for parking.

Can't help thinking that it might be the last straw for Shaw Ridge if the Oasis has a cinema and bowling.

I hope it's not the last straw for Shaw Ridge, what are the people of West Swindon going to do without an entertainments complex? Don't forget not all of us have cars and can't necessarily travel to the other side of town in the evenings, especially when there is a lack of bus services!

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
There are other things going on at Shaw Ridge so there should be enough footfall for the cinema to survive in the longer term, but it will take a hit when something newer and shinier opens.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »
We generally travel to Greenbridge rather than frequent our local cinema at Shaw Ridge, however we offset this by spending some leisure time and regular sums in the hotel. 

Latterly I've discovered that I have some sympathy for Ed Reardon's aversion to assininity and the entertainment services world being run, poisoned and generally fecked up by under-trained, under-paid and under motivated 12 year old's who are employed, (often allegedly on zero hours contracts), by companies who don't really deserve our money.

We used to regularly play badminton at the link but stopped booking courts when the keep fit session ran over its time every time and the instructors were rude and abusive when other badminton players asked them to clear out on time next time.  They never did and we got fed up with getting less than our moneys worth.

We abandoned the pool because the last whipped-up-by-the-media pedo scare resulted in various Mumsy's of Tarquin, Jocasta, Chardonnay and Tyrone glaring at every middle aged male like a hyena pack eyeing up an injured hippo.

In our experience customer satisfaction is often, (badly), affected by the unmoderated behaviour of other customers. We don't usually complain or make a fuss, we simply vote with our feet.....

.....and will therefore often make a 200 mile round trip to do something genuinely enjoyable, healthy and mentally and spiritually refreshing, like we did earlier today.....

Tig trudging happily towards Pen Y Fan in the Brecon Beacons earlier today  (Click thumbnail to enlarge)

The cost for our regular trips into the mountains is not much more per-trip than a night out including a cooked-from-frozen 'meal' at a retail park chain restaurant followed by two cinema tickets.

In my honest opinion Swindon's mass market entertainment 'offer' is generally Ratner'esque and, although it has its place, it occurs to me that the general population is being commercially led by the nose towards a slack-mouthed and dull eyed, cattle-shed-docile acceptance of its quality of life being defined by entertainment retailers, soap opera script writers and retailers shareholders.

If Swindon doesn't provide something we want in a manner and at a price we find pleasing,  we'll go elsewhere and/or provide ourselves with an alternative which does. 

I suppose we're lucky in that we don't really need someone else to tell us what to do.  :santa_smiley:   

Offline Muggins

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »
"We don't usually complain or make a fuss, we simply vote with our feet....."

Not like you Geoff.   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Seems it won't be long before you move out of town, then?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »
"We don't usually complain or make a fuss, we simply vote with our feet....."

Not like you Geoff.   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Seems it won't be long before you move out of town, then?

This might surprise some, but I'm usually polite and friendly to people who work in the service/entertainment industries, many of whom are still children really.  It's the 'I-know-better-than-you' politicians that I have little patience with. 

Individually quite a few local politicians are decent, intelligent and thoughtful people but as a political group their collective I.Q apparently shrivels to a figure equivalent to imbecility.   

I don't particularly want to leave Swindon. I moved here because I wanted to, not because I had to, and generally speaking we've been very happy here. That said, we do regularly reflect on our quality of life and it has to be said that, like many others in the town, we've noticed and experienced a marked decline in the Borough's wellbeing and attribute almost all of it to politics and politicians.

There comes a time when those that can move somewhere happier and nicer just get up and do it.  We're not quite there yet but even a modest windfall would probably tip the scales.....

Offline Muggins

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
I wasn't casting opinion on your face to face encounter, but on TS. I'm sure you and Tig are the soles of discretion when out and about. 

Must say, I too note the increasing youth of those doing the 'serving' and lack of
people skills. I put that down to the mechanised upbringing they have these days and parents working so not home bringing them up proper and they certainly can't learn manners from the tele, films or gaming.

I suppose some of that could be down to Swindon being the immigrant town it is - not the racial thing, but from all over the country,  means no extended families to fall back on for old fashioned values. 

And I agree that although people are generally better off, maybe not in better off than ten years ago, but better than say 20/30 years ago, it hasn't made them happier, I think most of that is because of the dull, really repetitive,  constant, news reals and social media telling people how  hard up/not looked after etc. they are likely to be.

We are told a thousand times a day why we should be miserable, I'm sure it's government policy to keep us all in that state. And of course fighting to keep those things we won that support a better quality of life.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
I wasn't casting opinion on your face to face encounter, but on TS. I'm sure you and Tig are the soles of discretion when out and about. 

Must say, I too note the increasing youth of those doing the 'serving' and lack of
people skills. I put that down to the mechanised upbringing they have these days and parents working so not home bringing them up proper and they certainly can't learn manners from the tele, films or gaming.

I suppose some of that could be down to Swindon being the immigrant town it is - not the racial thing, but from all over the country,  means no extended families to fall back on for old fashioned values. 

And I agree that although people are generally better off, maybe not in better off than ten years ago, but better than say 20/30 years ago, it hasn't made them happier, I think most of that is because of the dull, really repetitive,  constant, news reals and social media telling people how  hard up/not looked after etc. they are likely to be.

We are told a thousand times a day why we should be miserable, I'm sure it's government policy to keep us all in that state. And of course fighting to keep those things we won that support a better quality of life.

I couldn't agree more  :santa_smiley:

I watch very little television because I want to be informed or entertained but not depressed, demonised, lied to, politically and socially engineered or commercially targeted and conditioned in my own lounge.

Tig and I are lucky in that we're able to get out and about and do plenty of stuff which many others can't, won't or don't do, but we both have friends who virtually live on their sofa's and seem content to let talking heads on their 50" Plasma screen tell them what to eat, drink, think, wear and drive.  More than once I've heard people say in one sentence "There's nothing on T.V" and then, several minutes later complain that they're bored. 

I cannot remember the last time I felt bored and there are so many things I want to try, but can't seem to find time for, that I don't expect to get bored for the next couple of decades.  I think this is partly why it's not a disaster for me when I walk away from a leisure centre/cinema/bowling alley/restaurant/fast food joint/pub/town centre with the intention of never visiting them again.  I have, (and often choose to exercise), choices.

Dragging myself back onto topic, I will try the Oasis when it's finished.  I love skiing and have always wanted to try snowboarding so, if the snow dome is built, I have every intention of breaking my legs again being the embarrassing, lardy old duffer who looks like a sausage stuffed into a sleeping bag as he lets gravity do its worst. 

Luckily I don't get self-conscious and my sense of shame atrophied a long time back.....  :thumb:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
Part of that is getting older Geoff.  I wouldn't want to go to the pub just for a drink, when I am persuaded, it's for meeting people, these days usually the extended family. 

We are home a lot, and the tele regularly wants to turn itself off, but it's not allowed to. Most of what is on puts Mr Muggins to sleep (no matter how much he wants to see it) and I am always doing something else at the same time, I mastered all the needlework arts and crafts when I was younger, but now, it's messing about on my tablet, or crosswords etc. I get a lot of thinking done though.

The community stuff is going rather slowly at present, but that tends to be a bit seasonal, but I'm more interested in that than going down the pub.  Unless one of the kids take me somewhere, I don't get to go, usually because of transport. 

It's different when you have disposable cash, transport on tap and a bit of youth!

As it is at present I'd be glad a trip into the town centre.  :o

But once the good weather is here, I'm going to see if the Titanic will get me to Purton - that's supposing that the footpath a the back of Mouldon Hill is dried up and they've put a slope on that steep step. There is only one way to find out - take the chance, nothing like living dangerously. I've used my routé finder and at walking pace it should take me 1 hour and 39 minutes.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
.....and will therefore often make a 200 mile round trip to do something genuinely enjoyable, healthy and mentally and spiritually refreshing, like we did earlier today.....

The cost for our regular trips into the mountains is not much more per-trip than a night out including a cooked-from-frozen 'meal' at a retail park chain restaurant followed by two cinema tickets.

If Swindon doesn't provide something we want in a manner and at a price we find pleasing,  we'll go elsewhere and/or provide ourselves with an alternative which does.

We have little reason to visit Swindon town centre and usually end up going further afield most weekends. We go to the pub or eat out with friends a couple of times a month, but apart from that we don't spend much of our disposable income in Swindon.

We tend to visit the Brecons, Studland, Poole, Portsmouth, Salisbury, Burford, Bourton on the Water, Stratford, Windsor, Cirencester, Glastonbury, Wells, Barbury, Avebury quite regularly. This is mostly because these places are nicer than Swindon, but sometimes our choice is influenced by the weather. The weekend before last it was wet and miserable in Swindon, but sunny in Portsmouth.

We enjoyed an invigorating walk on a deserted Studland beach on Boxing Day. Much better (and cheaper) than the hustle and bustle of the Boxing Day sales.

Offline Matt1971

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
This is the questions I raised at the council meeting last week.

1:When are the council expecting a planning application to be submitted by the developers who are responsible for the redevelopment of the Oasis and former Clares Equipment site.I ask this as in March 2013 the spokes person For the Oasis redevelopment stated  "In the light of this, our intention is to have outline planning for the full development submitted in June, with detailed plans for the arena – which will be the first phase of new-build – following in the autumn." It is now feb 2014  and we have heard nothing regarding planning application .2: Has the fact that Bristol is going to have a 12k capacity arena ready for 2016/17 impacted on the Swindon development .

This is the cabinets reply,

Thank you for your questions.

1. It is for Morai to submit the planning application when they are ready to proceed.

2. The Council continues to talk with the company and has received assurances that it still intends to submit, but more work is required before they are ready. The same situation occurred with the Regent Circus Development and it would be wrong for the Council to set an expectation. For example, if we said that Morai planned to submit their planning application in April and they did not, then I believe that is the wrong message to give you and other local residents.

Not really helpful especially when Morai stated when they intended to apply for planning and then did not meet that month or year!

Offline OTTed

• Colin Doubleday from Old Town Swindon
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:18 PM »
I am hearing rumours of severe financial irregularities within Morai and associated companies....
I hasten to say what I hear so far are rumours, hence I am not writing it.
But what have other people heard?

Surely Morai and their 'wonderful deal' were the model that Cllr Williams stated was the best way forward for all of Swindon Leisure facilities and the excuse example of a successful necessary 99 year lease.

Offline Matt1971

• Hello !
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »
I work with a current serving member of the council and he has told me that Morai are in serious trouble and that certain subsidiaries of the company have gone under.why did the council not pick a developer with a strong base and proven track record?This will end up the same as the new shopping center we were promised before the developer went bust.

Offline OTTed

• Colin Doubleday from Old Town Swindon
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »
I have now seen a document that implies serious concerns.
I have also seen photos of the dripping roof and broken plaster inside - not fixed after 6 months I understand.
But I really want the best for Swindon and would not want to create bad rumours.
Can someone from the council tell us what is going on and whether these rumours are true?
Does anyone wish to ask a town centre councillor outright - what is the news?
As for the leisure portfolio, we are told that The Oasis is the glittering example of why it will all be fine when leased out for a lifetime.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »
Moirai Capital Investments Limited  - set up in 2009 and now Non Trading
Moirai Capital Investments (Swindon)  Limited - set up in Jan 2012 has liabilities of over £200,000 more than it is worth.
Moirai Capital Investments (Torquay)  Limited  - set up in Nov 2012 and now Non Trading
Moirai Capital Investments (Milton Keynes)  Limited  set up in Dec 2013, has not reported yet.
Moirai Capital Investments (No 7)  Limited  - Operated for a few months in 2011 and then was dissolved.

All these companies have registered offices on the first floor of quite a nice terraced house, in Woodberry Grove, North Finchley, London.
Mr Sarju Rach and Mr Nicholas David Lewis are directors of all of the above companies as well as, Oasis Waterpark Limited and, Oasis Arena Limited.

To my untrained eye, all of the above looks about as solid and reliable as a few other companies that SBC have been dealing with in the recent past.

How much would it have cost to get the bus to London and knocked on the door of the "Registered Office" to see what these companies were about? :coffee:
What's it all about?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
To my untrained eye, all of the above looks about as solid and reliable as a few other companies that SBC have been dealing with in the recent past.

What, as reliable as a WiFi IT Adventure, you mean?  :angel:

What kind of due diligence does SBC employ before it cooks up a deal...?  :bash:

Unreal.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
What, as reliable as a WiFi IT Adventure, you mean?

I see a couple of blokes with a string of companies behind them, none of them successful and a few far from successful. Who does that remind us of? Why someone who SBC can put public trust and assets into the hands of obviously.

Yes, Tobes.
10 minutes on the https://www.duedil.com/web-site, a bus ticket to London and ask a question like, "Show me a previous successful business like you plan at The Oasis."

Too much trouble to go to before giving away a public asset?
What's it all about?

Offline Terry Reynolds

• `13 years of lies lies, sleaze porn 10p fiascos, m
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
should be good at the cabinet meeting tonight.....

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
Moirai Capital Investments Limited  - set up in 2009 and now Non Trading
Moirai Capital Investments (Swindon)  Limited - set up in Jan 2012 has liabilities of over £200,000 more than it is worth.
Moirai Capital Investments (Torquay)  Limited  - set up in Nov 2012 and now Non Trading
Moirai Capital Investments (Milton Keynes)  Limited  set up in Dec 2013, has not reported yet.
Moirai Capital Investments (No 7)  Limited  - Operated for a few months in 2011 and then was dissolved.

All these companies have registered offices on the first floor of quite a nice terraced house, in Woodberry Grove, North Finchley, London.
Mr Sarju Rach and Mr Nicholas David Lewis are directors of all of the above companies as well as, Oasis Waterpark Limited and, Oasis Arena Limited.

How much would it have cost to get the bus to London and knocked on the door of the "Registered Office" to see what these companies were about? :coffee:

Good hunting OOT, but you forgot to mention Oasis Ski Limited and Oasis Real Estate Limited -- both of which were formed on the same date (30 June 2012) as the other "Oasis" companies. Just when did the council decide to give away the Oasis I wonder, and if it was after that date then who gave the "heads up" ?

Anyway, I don't know what you're worried about. Handing over your money to a Nicholas David Lewis must be a shrewd move, after all being an active director of 17 companies at the tender age of 22 must make him a real wizz kid..... not educated in Swindon, that's for sure. Wonder if he knows there's a vacancy on the board of the Brunel Nightclub?  :coffee:

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=47351

Please read the above SBC document  to see what clauses have been removed from the Oasis lease. This is to help Oasis Water Parks Ltd. fund their refurbishment. This is not quite what was promised was it?

Now see what he same outfit promised Paignton and Milton Keynes local authorities less than 2 months ago. Surely they won’t want to alter any terms in those leases too would they?

650 jobs in £45million Paignton leisure park dream.

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/650-JOBS-pound-45M-LEISURE-PARK-DREAM/story-20660369-detail/story.html

UK's largest waterpark could be built at Milton Keynes National Bowl

http://www.mkweb.co.uk/News/Developments/UKs-largest-waterpark-could-be-built-at-Milton-Keynes-National-Bowl-20140226185240.htm

It all reminds me of the time Dennis Grant was announcing big plans for the Cotswold Waterpark. I loved the one about creating a full size replica of Stonehenge. His stone supplier was someone whose largest stones are used to make stone jewellery!
What's it all about?

Offline Terry Reynolds

• `13 years of lies lies, sleaze porn 10p fiascos, m
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
Post cabinet report.... I reported the 5 moira investments that are either now not trading or dissolved or owing up to liabilities of over £200k, and the reply I received from Coun Williams, was that the company had been investigated in recent weeks and months and nothing toward was found and they had no debt problems, He didn't reply about why they have sub let the Oasis to the GLL Group. But did say that the Oasis had a good future in front of it, Richard also asked questions about the group which I'm sure he will enlarge on.
I also asked about the 300k given to UK Broadband and was this the same road as the wifi fiasco.  Mr McKellar, replied that the UK Broadband deal was  a good one and they would return a good profit in the near future. He also did not reply to the question as to what we have to actually show for it now.
On another tack, this was the last cabinet meeting before the elections in May, and after public questions, councillors from all groups can ask questions on the subjects raised and take the cabinet to task.  This evening, only one labour councillor and none from the lib dems came to the meeting, so apart from 2 or 3 points raised by Mr Moffat, they had a very easy ride.. Is that the oppositions role in life I wonder..