Author Topic: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2  (Read 91199 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2
« Reply #580 on: August 15, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
Visit the SBC planning web site - application number S/12/0027 for details.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #581 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »

Went to the Tues  August 14th 2012 Planning Committee and asked....

"Given the June 12th 2012 planning approval of Tadpole Farm without the Purton/Iffley Road Link and the Adver Article of August 9th 2012 regarding the gridlock because of Tadpole Farm and Ridgeway Farm , can the Chair or Cllr K Williams confirm whether the Purton/Iffley Road link will be in the Core Strategy".

For reference at the meeting, Cllr Williams was not present, Cllr Lovell ( Chair) Mr Awojobi ( Legal/Planning) and Mr Brown ( Regeneration Planning) were unaware of the status ( note this link involves a request for £100million from the Government) and stated that a written answer would be provided.

I admit to being somewhat surprised that these gentleman were unable to answer this question on the night.. written answer awaited

Jenny was the Lead Member for Planning present?

If he was, surely he would have been able to answer your question, that is if he is in charge of his brief?

Just like Wi-fi and the Croft, everything has to be dealt with by Considered Written Answers or in my case not as I am still waiting for answers to two sets of questions to Councillor Perkins asked at full Council a year ago and last March.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #582 on: August 15, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »

Thanks Steve. Another car showroom  :(

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #583 on: August 15, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »

Went to the Tues  August 14th 2012 Planning Committee and asked....

"Given the June 12th 2012 planning approval of Tadpole Farm without the Purton/Iffley Road Link and the Adver Article of August 9th 2012 regarding the gridlock because of Tadpole Farm and Ridgeway Farm , can the Chair or Cllr K Williams confirm whether the Purton/Iffley Road link will be in the Core Strategy".

For reference at the meeting, Cllr Williams was not present, Cllr Lovell ( Chair) Mr Awojobi ( Legal/Planning) and Mr Brown ( Regeneration Planning) were unaware of the status ( note this link involves a request for £100million from the Government) and stated that a written answer would be provided.

I admit to being somewhat surprised that these gentleman were unable to answer this question on the night.. written answer awaited

Jenny was the Lead Member for Planning present?

If he was, surely he would have been able to answer your question, that is if he is in charge of his brief?

Just like Wi-fi and the Croft, everything has to be dealt with by Considered Written Answers or in my case not as I am still waiting for answers to two sets of questions to Councillor Perkins asked at full Council a year ago and last March.

Cllr Heenan Lead Member for Strategic Planning, Member of the Planning Committee and Ward Member was indeed in attendance. He did not interject when the question was asked.

Perhaps he is distracted by his foray into the private business at Redlands?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #584 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
Cllr Heenan Lead Member for Strategic Planning, Member of the Planning Committee and Ward Member was indeed in attendance. He did not interject when the question was asked.

How interesting, but remember Jenny he will have to go away and consult on his reply anyway and as for his foray into the private business of Redlands that is another matter!

I find Colin Lovell a most interesting Chairman of Planning in that he has never spoken at Council, in my presence at least, and seems to be a very useful shock absorber for anything contentious! 

Just the man to keep the peole at bay.

Was he active in his role as Councillor in Moredon?  Interesting that he chose not to defend his position there!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #585 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »

How interesting, but remember Jenny he will have to go away and consult on his reply anyway and as for his foray into the private business of Redlands that is another matter!

I find Colin Lovell a most interesting Chairman of Planning in that he has never spoken at Council, in my presence at least, and seems to be a very useful shock absorber for anything contentious! 

Just the man to keep the peole at bay.

Was he active in his role as Councillor in Moredon?  Interesting that he chose not to defend his position there!

Richard,

To be honest, the Chair and the Officers were very polite to me... but appeared , in my opinion, quite flummoxed to be asked a question about a proposed £100m infrastructure project.

I was quite surprised that people in these positions did not have the answer at their fingertips.

Maybe there are lots of £100m infrastructure proposals around and it is hard to keep track?

Perhaps discussed in meetings so confidential that they don't know about them or are not allowed to mention?

Anyhow.. it should all become clear in the written answer.... should it not?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #586 on: August 17, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »

Thanks Steve. Another car showroom  :(

I drove past the area yesterday - there is a development on the same side as Skurrys which is advertised as a new car show room, but there is also an area boarded off opposite Skurrys at the entrance to the park.  The planning application number above is unclear which site it refers to, just saying "off Mead Way".  So what is going on at the entrance to the park.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #587 on: August 17, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
Jayjay: I drove past the area yesterday - there is a development on the same side as Skurrys which is advertised as a new car show room, but there is also an area boarded off opposite Skurrys at the entrance to the park.  The planning application number above is unclear which site it refers to, just saying "off Mead Way".  So what is going on at the entrance to the park.

Yes, it's the one adjacent to the park entrance that concerns me too Jayjay. I'm still not sure if this is part of the car showroom plan as I was unable to download the detailed drawings from the link Steve gave. It would be a pity if the park was allowed to be spoiled by development even before it had chance to get established.
I equally look forward to seeing the proposed route for the iffley link!

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #588 on: September 12, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »
Planning permission is to be decided today  :popcorn:
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #589 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
Does anybody know what S106 "improvements" have been negotiated? 

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #590 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »
Planning permission is to be decided today  :popcorn:

I hope the plans are rejected (but I wouldn't be surprised if they get accepted) - I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the planning committee, especially with all the noise the government has been making about increasing house building.  Basically they're damned if they do and damned if they don't (give planning permission).

Like I said the other day, Swindon is going to get dumped on from a big height with all the planning changes.  If the government are prepared to pee-off the Tory Mayor of London and Tory voters in West London and Berkshire by suggesting a 3rd runway at Heathrow they won't even hesitate to grant planning permission on appeal (should PP be refused by the council) for houses near Swindon.

Let us not forget the millions the government has received from property developers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/hands-off-our-land/8754027/Conservatives-given-millions-by-property-developers.html

Rincewind

« Reply #591 on: September 12, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
Decision made yesterday, docs can be found here -

http://194.73.99.13:8080/WAM/showCaseFile.do?appType=Planning&appNumber=S/11/1588

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #592 on: September 12, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
Decision made yesterday, docs can be found here -

http://194.73.99.13:8080/WAM/showCaseFile.do?appType=Planning&appNumber=S/11/1588

Interesting document. Amongst all the stated conditions I was particularly scratching my head over:

Badger Setts
20 Prior to the commencement of works within each development phase or sub phase, surveys of the area for the presence of badgers and occupied setts shall have been completed. The result of each survey, together with details any appropriate mitigation measures shall be submitted to the Local Planning Authority for approval in writing. The approved scheme shall be implemented prior to the commencement of any works within the Development Phase or Sub Phase, in accordance with an agreed scheme of mitigation.
Reason: To ensure the protection of a protected species
Relevant Policy: ENV18 Swindon Borough Local Plan 2011 (2006), DMP11 Swindon Borough Core Strategy and Development Management Policies - Revised Proposed Submission Document (2011).

Now, I'm not exactly a campaigning environmentalist however I do have a healthy respect and enjoyment of our wild-life; but could these badgers be the same "protected species" that was mentioned on ITV local news this morning in conjunction with the experimental cull that is about to begin in West Somerset?

Offline Mickraker

« Reply #593 on: September 13, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
The Graham Mack BBC radio show had a councillor on saying that Tadpole Farm is nothing to worry about. Councillor Heenan's argument sounded weak and was saying that he thinks no problem exists with schol places.

I wonder if he has read the adver today which has given school places another a splurge. This is another council story that is not flattering it.  :-\

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9925231.Get_applications_in_for_school_places/

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #594 on: September 13, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »
The Graham Mack BBC radio show had a councillor on saying that Tadpole Farm is nothing to worry about. Councillor Heenan's argument sounded weak and was saying that he thinks no problem exists with schol places.

I wonder if he has read the adver today which has given school places another a splurge. This is another council story that is not flattering it.  :-\

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9925231.Get_applications_in_for_school_places/

I thought this bit was particularly interesting...

Coun David Renard , Swindon council cabinet member for children’s services, said: “The council has a legal duty to provide school places, and we have an excellent track record in anticipating where those places are needed, and then building new schools to meet the demand if necessary. “In a growing town, this requires careful planning, and the figures speak for themselves – this year, we were the second most successful council in the south west, and the fifth nationally, at meeting the first preferences for secondary school applicants, while 98.8 per cent of primary school applicants had one of their three preferences met.

Yep.. let's identify how many places are needed and where.. ask the government for the money then allocate it elsewhere.

Yep.. let's calculate how many school places are needed for new developments ( Angel Ridge, Royal Mead, Tadpole Farm ) and let the developers rung rings around us.

As for 98.9%.. the numbers don't even add up on this.

Yep.. the figures do speak for themselves, but who is listening?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #595 on: September 13, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »

I thought this bit was particularly interesting...

Coun David Renard , Swindon council cabinet member for children’s services, said: “The council has a legal duty to provide school places, and we have an excellent track record in anticipating where those places are needed, and then building new schools to meet the demand if necessary. “In a growing town, this requires careful planning, and the figures speak for themselves – this year, we were the second most successful council in the south west, and the fifth nationally, at meeting the first preferences for secondary school applicants, while 98.8 per cent of primary school applicants had one of their three preferences met.

Yep.. let's identify how many places are needed and where.. ask the government for the money then allocate it elsewhere.

Yep.. let's calculate how many school places are needed for new developments ( Angel Ridge, Royal Mead, Tadpole Farm ) and let the developers rung rings around us.

As for 98.9%.. the numbers don't even add up on this.

Yep.. the figures do speak for themselves, but who is listening?

And on this note.. went to scrutiny last night and asked these questions:

Public Questions Scrutiny Committee 12/09/2012

Despite SBC’s own evidence that the 2012 Primary need was in North and Central Swindon, Cllr Bluh states that there was not a shred of evidence that the Croft was not needed for Old Town. In July 2011 Residents invited Cllr Bluh and Mr Jones to attend a meeting with local residents to convince us of the need for the Croft School because SBC’s own data did not add up. On behalf of SBC Cllr Bluh refused.

SBC data shows that on 20/4/2012 not a single reception place was left in North Swindon’s 8 schools. Old Town/Lawn’s 5 schools were able to offer 48 places out of catchment and on 31/8/2012 still have a further 41 reception spaces available.

Cllr Bluh says the Croft is needed. Cllr Renard does not appear to be too sure. Cllr Renard says the Croft has been delayed because of residents ( who couldn’t even  influence the colour of the roof tiles). Cllr Bluh says that the Croft is on budget and on schedule and was always planned to finish on Dec 24th. .  CllrRenard and Cllr Bluh cannot both be correct.

In January 2012, SBC had the admissions evidence showing that the Croft was surplus. On Feb 2012 SBC broke ground on the Croft. If this was done in the knowledge that the school was not needed then this bears scrutiny. If this was done in ignorance of the fact that the school was not needed then this bears scrutiny.

Does anyone know the overall cost of the Croft School or whether it is value for tax payers money? This bears scrutiny.

SBC can provide no evidence to support the need for or decision to build a school on the Croft for Old Town. This bears scrutiny.

Is Cllr Bluh stating that it was always the plan to open a school on a building site? This bears scrutiny.

SBC has given Old Town the luxury of choice based on government funding given for but denied to North Swindon. This bears scrutiny.

Why have North Swindon families been disadvantaged? This bears scrutiny.

For reference. Tadpole Farm has been approved with no primary provision until 900 homes are built. Where are the children supposed to go?

Question

The evidence does not support Children's Services assertions of +/-1% accurary , Does primary school place planning across Swindon require an urgent review?

Does this Committee agree that an independent, impartial, open and transparent assessment of the full process and actions which delivered the Croft is urgently required?

Will the Scrutiny Committee initiate this?

Otherwise, what is there to prevent a repeat?

Kareen Boyd

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #596 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:08 AM »
I listened to the radio this morning and Graham Mack is as sharp as ever as he managed to got ino the nub of the Tadpole Farm Development in a handful of questions, with Cllr Dale Heenan. Followed by Stephanie Exell who gave a robust and factual retort to his probing. I particularly welcomed Steph's comments, highlighting the need for Purton Iffley Link Road.   :wink:

I recommend that the S106 agreement is read carefully to elicit all the detail.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Mr Grumble

« Reply #597 on: September 13, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
There are lots of residents all over Swindon who are listening to the debate about school places.  That's what I've always liked about Swindon folk, they weigh the facts up and come to their own conclusion.

I'm a believer in facts, they cut through the smoke-filled rooms which the politicians inhabit.  However, the smoke is now generated by the hot air and politic spinning that emanates from less than hygienic parts.  How did the Darwinian process move some politicians mouths to their undercarriage?

It's good to see the residents' association blog in Oakhurst starting with a cracking post-Summer break article about the Tadpole Farm negotiation debacle:

http://www.oakhurstresidents.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #598 on: September 13, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
There are lots of residents all over Swindon who are listening to the debate about school places.  That's what I've always liked about Swindon folk, they weigh the facts up and come to their own conclusion.

I'm a believer in facts, they cut through the smoke-filled rooms which the politicians inhabit.  However, the smoke is now generated by the hot air and politic spinning that emanates from less than hygienic parts.  How did the Darwinian process move some politicians mouths to their undercarriage?

It's good to see the residents' association blog in Oakhurst starting with a cracking post-Summer break article about the Tadpole Farm negotiation debacle:

http://www.oakhurstresidents.blogspot.co.uk/

All of the Cllrs involved in accepting this and Mr Gilbert of Children's Services, should be able to provide a clear plan as to where all of the children from these 1st 565 homes will go to school.

As grant of planning approval has been snuck out.. all of this information must already exist.

Cllr Tomlinson et al will surely have it at their fingertips..or via Cllr Renard?

Offline Mickraker

« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
All of the Cllrs involved in accepting this and Mr Gilbert of Children's Services, should be able to provide a clear plan as to where all of the children from these 1st 565 homes will go to school.

As grant of planning approval has been snuck out.. all of this information must already exist.

Cllr Tomlinson et al will surely have it at their fingertips..or via Cllr Renard?

Cllr Tomlinson, by that I take it is Vera you mean. I think Vera is the councillor that led the negotiation as Tadpole is in the ward she is elected to represent.  :-\