Author Topic: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2  (Read 91201 times)

MrGrumpy

Re: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2
« Reply #560 on: July 15, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
In recent times I have had several leaflets from Labour, most recently another one today about their meeting on Tadpole Farm on Tuesday.

I have not had a Conservative leaflet in months (didn't even receive any in the run up to the May elections).

LibDems have never pushed anything through my door.

I guess the Conservative drop-in yesterday was only advertised to a targetted 'friendly faces only' group to make sure the councillors only heard what they wanted to hear - so it must have been a very very small number of leaflets delivered to make sure the majority of residents that do not agree with them did not turn up.  I have yet to hear from anyone in Oakhurst who had recieved a leaflt about it, although I have seen a copy of the leaflet that was found blowing in the street that was posted on TS.

Offline Zlatan

• I am the greatest
« Reply #561 on: July 18, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
Sadly Faramarzipan and her bodyguards are now singing their own praises on Twitter about how successful their closed shop was...THE ARROGANCE!! Sadly the majority had better things to do on Saturday than stroke the egos of a few no-mark 3rd rate politicians - those that went and spoke their minds WILL be ignored...

...Oakhurst I hope you have an itchy election trigger finger...does anyone know which Priory Vale councillor is first up in the next election shooting gallery?
Heja Sverige!

Mr Grumble

« Reply #562 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:08 PM »
@Zlatan

Politicians would say that wouldn't they.  If officers were at the consultation as the Croft people found out it is very easy to write to them and ask them questions or to FoI them. 

FoIs can be done through www.whatdotheyknow.com and you can also use the name Zlatan if you want to.  You don't have to give them your personal details.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #563 on: July 20, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
A friend of mine never votes because he feels it doesn't change anything. I always vote but I'm starting to think he has a point. In this particular case where does one go if you feel you cannot trust your councillors?

Where does one go?... here of course, where you share your experiences, voice your opinions and meet, (virtually or otherwise), other like minded residents and voters who have been similarly poor served.

That the supporters of some 'public servants' are busily trying to attack, smear, discredit and bully dissenters into silence shows how worried and angry some of our elected 'finest' are becoming by an increasingly better informed electorate which, quite correctly, won't be fobbed off with bullshit or driven off their own turf with dirty tactics and threats.

The fact that the various tactics and attacks used against resident tax payers are politically motivated should disturb normal, rational people.  That these attacks are being prosecuted by only a couple of people afflicted with a sort of Political Munchausens-by-proxy syndrome should make everyone take a long and hard look at them, their motives and their associations.

Anyone else noticed that Cllr Elliot seems to have gone very quiet?, almost as if his political mentor(s) have told him to stay well clear of Tadpole and not to step in his colleagues droppings.

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #564 on: July 20, 2012, 07:53:52 PM »
A friend of mine never votes because he feels it doesn't change anything. I always vote but I'm starting to think he has a point. In this particular case where does one go if you feel you cannot trust your councillors?

Where does one go?... here of course, where you share your experiences, voice your opinions and meet, (virtually or otherwise), other like minded residents and voters who have been similarly poor served.

That the supporters of some 'public servants' are busily trying to attack, smear, discredit and bully dissenters into silence shows how worried and angry some of our elected 'finest' are becoming by an increasingly better informed electorate which, quite correctly, won't be fobbed off with bullshit or driven off their own turf with dirty tactics and threats.

The fact that the various tactics and attacks used against resident tax payers are politically motivated should disturb normal, rational people.  That these attacks are being prosecuted by only a couple of people afflicted with a sort of Political Munchausens-by-proxy syndrome should make everyone take a long and hard look at them, their motives and their associations.

Anyone else noticed that Cllr Elliot seems to have gone very quiet?, almost as if his political mentor(s) have told him to stay well clear of Tadpole and not to step in his colleagues droppings.

Having been on the receiving end of shabby, bullying and threatening behaviour from several members of this administration and shocking behaviour from the Officer Class when they are presented with evidence and asked to explain themselves  I find that they all tend to run away when asked to prove their statements or accusations.

Fairly text book reactions from bullies.. don't you think?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline The Oakhurst Avenger

• Cleaning up city hall is a busy job
« Reply #565 on: July 21, 2012, 03:59:42 AM »
Yes Cllr Toby Elliott after sh*tting on his fellow Oakhurst residents from a great height has gone to ground. The silence is deafening - obviously been taking lessons from his mate Justin Tomlinson. Pity the same can't be said for Cllr Faramarzi and her partner Oliver Donachie. Not happy bunnies. Seems that they can't understand why Oakhurst residents might be unhappy with being sold out to advance their political careers. Seems we're supposed to be happy with the Tadpole Farm development and the impact on our community. Well they've had enough of the abuse from residents, especially from the troublesome Oakhurst Residents Association and now are setting up their own 'non-political' (guffaw) residents association to "speak" for all residents of Priory Vale. Ha ha ha. Some unkind people have told me the new association also goes by the name Conservative Party North Swindon 'Control The Pleb Basterds' Society. Anyway I google searched it and the first name that came up on the first page of Google was Oakhurst Residents Association lol. Looks like Cllr-Wannabe Donachie (forgive the rhyme) is going to have to work on SEO for his new 'front' organisation. Expect lots of articles on why Oakhurst Way should become a motorway, or why it is good for your kid to walk miles to school along busy roads (fight against obesity). You have been warned. :spin:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:50:35 AM by The Oakhurst Avenger »
Defender of truth and justice

Offline The Oakhurst Avenger

• Cleaning up city hall is a busy job
« Reply #566 on: July 21, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
Re: 'Priory Vale' Residents Association

Am I the only one that thinks it hilarious that Cllr Faramarzi and Cllr Wannabe have re-defined the geographical scope of Priory Vale from Oakhurst, Redhouse and Haydon End (what Priory Vale is) to include Taw Hill where they live.

Cllr Faramarzi enthuses on Twitter "I look forward to working with a positive forward thinking residents association..."

Let's decipher that into laymans speak:

"I've had enough of the existing residents associations in Priory Vale especially ORA who have been so negative in their reaction to my party's decision to approve development at Tadpole Farm despite our election promise to oppose it. They just don't look forward to the reality of increased traffic through the heart of their community and increased competition for school places as easily as I do. Since they refuse to accept this attack on their community I need to ignore them and work with residents who agree with me".
Defender of truth and justice

Offline Muggins

« Reply #567 on: July 21, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »
Surely a properly constituted association with proper rules, and equal opps policies etc. Like most of us have to have, would  mean that you would all be able to join said Association, in fact if you have that many assocations already, the call and need should be for a Prioiry Vale/North Swindon FORUM and be invited to help set up that org and help write the blessed constitution and standing orders. If you are not, it is not democratic and may become another ward political party meeting.   
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

VoR

« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
Ive spent a lot of time reading this thread, the planning application, the minutes, lots of writeups on the Oakhurst residents website and what councillors have said. From this I can see there appeared to have been 4 options regarding TF planning application:

1. Reject. The comittee rejects the application. Crest would then appeal and win, have more of a say and the development would be bad as they would not have to care about parking spaces, community matters and infrastructure. If they lost they would find out why they lost, change it and get it approved.

2. Defer. Same result as reject.

3. Approve. Build as planned - not a great development and will be bad for neighbouring communities due to lack infrastructure.

4. Approve asking Crest to consult with local councillors and the planning officer can reject after 3 months if he wants. Rejection is unlikely as the planning officer wanted the commitee to approve it anyway. Possibility that the councillors may get Crest to build a better development but unlikely.

Isn't 4. the best for the councillors as they would have got abuse if they rejected or deferred and Crest made the development bad. They would have got abuse if they approved because the infrastructure wasn't in place. But with 4. they would get abuse but can say they tried to do something.

I'm sure there are other things that could have been done. What would have you have done if you controlled the decision?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #569 on: July 30, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »
Option 5

Manage "upwards".
Lobby local MPs and the government.
Get some control handed over to council level.

If councillors don't at least attempt option 5, then there is little point in wasting tax payers money to fund such an organisation
(particularly when they donate areas such as Coate to the core strategy)
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #570 on: July 30, 2012, 10:03:50 PM »
Hello VoR  :wink:

Offline DarkAuror

• Hello !
« Reply #571 on: July 31, 2012, 09:42:01 AM »
Slightly off topic but has anyone heard any news about the Bruce Street Bridges roundabout redevelopments as it seems to have gone quiet?

As the increased number of cars from the TF development will put a strain on this overstretched part of the road network. Has the redevelopment been delayed until the outcome of the TF development has been confirmed?

Also, is it about time SBC put back in to the core plan the Purton-Iffley Road relief road. Maybe this will slow the "inappropriate" developments like this one if the developers have to put a chunk of money to help pay for this much needed piece of infrastructure.

I know it's a bit simplistic but whilst Oakhurst might get an acceptable agreed development plan under the current rules and flood roads like Mead Way and Akers Way with more cars, it would be more forward thinking if all councillors were to look at the bigger picture and the knock on effect of other wards (like Cllr Edwards and Cllr Wakefield eluded to).  :hippy:

VoR

« Reply #572 on: July 31, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »
I havent seen anything to say that the people or councillors from the Akers Way area voiced concern over Tadpole Farm. I do find this surprising as the planners said in the document that increased traffic on this route would be a problem wheras increased traffic on Oakhurst Way wouldnt.

Has there been a proposed route for the Purton Iffley Link Road? I have searched but I have only seen it mentioned, no maps.

Rincewind

« Reply #573 on: August 02, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Ive spent a lot of time reading this thread, the planning application, the minutes, lots of writeups on the Oakhurst residents website and what councillors have said. From this I can see there appeared to have been 4 options regarding TF planning application:

1. Reject. The comittee rejects the application. Crest would then appeal and win, have more of a say and the development would be bad as they would not have to care about parking spaces, community matters and infrastructure. If they lost they would find out why they lost, change it and get it approved.

3. Approve. Build as planned - not a great development and will be bad for neighbouring communities due to lack infrastructure.

4. Approve asking Crest to consult with local councillors and the planning officer can reject after 3 months if he wants. Rejection is unlikely as the planning officer wanted the commitee to approve it anyway. Possibility that the councillors may get Crest to build a better development but unlikely.

Isn't 4. the best for the councillors as they would have got abuse if they rejected or deferred and Crest made the development bad. They would have got abuse if they approved because the infrastructure wasn't in place. But with 4. they would get abuse but can say they tried to do something.

I'm sure there are other things that could have been done. What would have you have done if you controlled the decision?

VoR - does that stand for Voice of Reason or is there another meaning?

What you are saying, even thought it does sound reasonable, sets all kinds of alarm bells ringing if you are involved in this in any way or know anyone who is.

It makes it sound as if the planning decision was made on the basis of factors that weighted it towards a s106 payment or the threat of a cost against the council to pay for an appeal.  If they were in fact the only material facts then the decision appears to be unsound.  The Councillors should make decisions based on the planning application and in this case there were grounds to refuse and if the developer wanted to appeal then that was the developer's choice.  However you have skirted around the fact that the councillors made it clear they were against inappropriate development but at the first opportunity they folded up and pretended that they had no option to do so.

I think, if I was a councillor, I would have made myself very familiar with the Tadpole Farm situation and the planning application and then announced what actions I was going to take - however that requires integrity and honesty.

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #574 on: August 03, 2012, 07:43:16 AM »

VoR - does that stand for Voice of Reason or is there another meaning?

What you are saying, even thought it does sound reasonable, sets all kinds of alarm bells ringing if you are involved in this in any way or know anyone who is.

It makes it sound as if the planning decision was made on the basis of factors that weighted it towards a s106 payment or the threat of a cost against the council to pay for an appeal.  If they were in fact the only material facts then the decision appears to be unsound.  The Councillors should make decisions based on the planning application and in this case there were grounds to refuse and if the developer wanted to appeal then that was the developer's choice.  However you have skirted around the fact that the councillors made it clear they were against inappropriate development but at the first opportunity they folded up and pretended that they had no option to do so.

I think, if I was a councillor, I would have made myself very familiar with the Tadpole Farm situation and the planning application and then announced what actions I was going to take - however that requires integrity and honesty.

Do you think the planning committee fully understands what a quasi-judicial process and their responsibilities actually means?

Are they advised that the public will be unlikely to be able to afford to mount legal challenges?

Do fear or money or politics influence decisions?

Does Officer advice hold sway over all?

Integrity and Honesty ... much talked about but seldom seen..
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #575 on: August 03, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
Jennyb, I think that a politician once said if you have a reputation for honesty and integrity some other politicians will go out of their way to use your reputation to cause harm to you. That could be why "Integrity and Honesty ... much talked about but seldom seen.."

My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #576 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »
Letter sent to the local press today...  Also posted on the Croft Thread...

How expert is SBC's expert advice?

I read with astonishment the Adver of August 9th.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/9862899.__100m_appeal_to_prevent_gridlock/

'SWINDON Council is to negotiate with the Government for more than £100m to pay for an “essential” extension to Thamesdown Drive to ensure the town’s road network does not grind to a halt ... Now, as the planned Tadpole Farm and Ridgeway Farm developments threaten to put even more cars on Swindon’s roads, the council has passed a motion to start negotiations with the Department for Transport for the shortfall.'

I was at the June 12th Planning Committee when  Cllr Wakefield presented his concerns about the Tadpole Farm implications and the need for this upgrade. He was ignored as were the many others who also raised their concerns about viability of access. Tadpole Farm was approved by the Planning Committee on the basis of advice from Officers G Lloyd and C Cornelius who made no mention of the need for such a link and said the area , with a few modifications ,could cope. Officer C Cornelius also stunningly pronounced that people buy cars to put on their drives but don't drive them! Not 1 planning committee member asked her to back this up with evidence.

So isn’t it a bit rich for Cllr Williams ,  as a planning committee member who approved Tadpole Farm, to show concern now? 

Cllr Bluh says there is no scrutiny of planning but isn't that what he is doing? Why does Cllr Bluh now refute the advice of his Officers Lloyd and Cornelius? Has he sought a second opinion from 'independent experts' ?

On advice from Officers Lloyd and C Cornelius ,who stated that the area could cope with 1500 cars/hour and with a few minor tweaks that all would be safe and suitable, the Planning Committee approved the Croft School. These same Officers dismissed the independent expert advice, paid for by residents, which challenged the safety and suitability of access. 

On a quiet morning just after 9am on Wed Aug 8th, when many folks are on holiday as are the playgroup and children's centre, I had to give way 4 times  between Hesketh Crescent and Marlborough Lane (at the Old Driving Test Centre). On 3 occasions I was able to reverse to allow the other cars to pass. 

Perhaps Cllr Bluh can ask Officers Lloyd and Cornelius just how they plan that traffic will be able to flow around the Croft on a typical day when everyone is back at work, and all of the facilities including the school are open? What happens when the traffic is backed up in each direction?

If Cllr Bluh can't rely on the advice of Highways Officers Lloyd and Cornelius then why should anyone else?

On a final note, isn’t Ridgeway Farm still under appeal, or does Cllr Bluh know something different?

Kareen Boyd

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #577 on: August 15, 2012, 07:13:24 AM »

Went to the Tues  August 14th 2012 Planning Committee and asked....

"Given the June 12th 2012 planning approval of Tadpole Farm without the Purton/Iffley Road Link and the Adver Article of August 9th 2012 regarding the gridlock because of Tadpole Farm and Ridgeway Farm , can the Chair or Cllr K Williams confirm whether the Purton/Iffley Road link will be in the Core Strategy".

For reference at the meeting, Cllr Williams was not present, Cllr Lovell ( Chair) Mr Awojobi ( Legal/Planning) and Mr Brown ( Regeneration Planning) were unaware of the status ( note this link involves a request for £100million from the Government) and stated that a written answer would be provided.

I admit to being somewhat surprised that these gentleman were unable to answer this question on the night.. written answer awaited

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #578 on: August 15, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
Sorry this is a bit off topic (but probably not worthy of a topic of its own) but does anyone know what's being built behind the screens recently erected opposite the Vauxhall garage in Mead Way. This verges on Shaw Forest and I was concerned yesterday to see the entrance to the forest blocked off (one of my regular doggie walking territories). Surely they're not going to encroach on the forest even before its saplings have had chance to put down proper roots.
For those of you that don't know the area it's well worth a visit and walking from there over to Molden Hill, which is being developed as a very nice leisure area. Walk it now before the Iffley link gets built (see! I can be a NIMBY too  ;D ).

Offline Muggins

« Reply #579 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
Can't see it would be anything to live in,  Still taking bets on the trees making it past 25 years, let alone having homes on it.  Noxious gases etc.   Is is something to do with the planned playing fields or are they already in?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)