Author Topic: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2  (Read 91134 times)

George Elliot

Re: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »
From a purely individual point I venture this opinion. North Swindon, is an area made up of communities Penhill, Pinehurst also start with a P. the people of Priory Vale moved into their newly developed homes like those people who moved into Pinehurst before the war and those into Penhill after the war.

Each community is autonomous and able to make their own decisions. The people of Priory Vale are doing what those in Penhill and Pinehurst have done before. They are organising themselves to deal with a situation that is affecting their neighbourhood. I believe comments and advice from people who live in North Swindon or somewhere to the North of Swindon are listened to.

The people of Priory Vale are patient people who are using their own voice to make their own point as it affects their daily lives where they live. This is in no way different to people who live in Penhill or Pinehurst.  I think Priory Vale people would contribute to any similar debate in Penhill or Pinehurst, but I do not think they would tell those communities what they think is best for them. Only the people living there 24/7 can possibly know that.

The people of Priory Vale have had their patience driven into the ground by a system that they will find difficult to forgive.  :wakeup:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #261 on: June 26, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
"The people of Priory Vale have bad their patience driven into the ground by a system that they will find difficult to forgive." 

You aren't getting the point - if you think you've been pushed to the limit, how do you think other's feel and have felt.  At this very moment, you are not on your own.  Croft, to take just one example,  it's just a matter of you joining the club, and you catching up with what the rest of us have had to put up with. But welcome to our world, anyway.

It's all very well examing other roads in the town, that have been left wide enough for dualling, but you must not  point to them and say - they can take it instead of us.  That is just shoving the problem on to someone else.

Jean's right, we need to give a huge collective. all over Swindon 'enough is enough'.  Because everyone is sick of the constant threat and knowledge of how underhnad the system here can be.

Those bus companies - they are not being selfish when they want to use roads anywhere in Abbey Meads, Propry Vale, they are probably the ONLY roads that they can use.  The longer and wider buses become, the less road there is for them.  In an attempt to stick as many houses as possible on it, the large roads where kept to a minimum, effectively forcing bus routes on to those that could just about take them.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #262 on: June 26, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
Residents are already in touch across swindon... we know the power of teamwork.

Pity this sorry bunch in charge ( but out of control) don't know how to spell it...

It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #263 on: June 26, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »
Smiler - read my post again.

You ask me: "You cannot believe sincerely that people in Oakhurst have not been shoddily treated by the Council and its representatives."

I do not believe that you have been fairly treated. Welcome to Swindon. I've been dealing with a dose of this for donkeys' years. Broken promises - how long a list would you like? You hear from the Crofters on Talkswindon but ask the people in Old Town about the Front Garden development and how they were promised that this area would always be protected. I could bore you ad nauseum about the Coate development and all the promises made about that area too. There are people fighting to prevent every tiny bit of green space or their allotments from being bull-dozed for development in Swindon and others fighting development on the outskirts. The people of Swindon have had a really rough deal for a long time now and it's time for it all to stop.
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Muggins

« Reply #264 on: June 26, 2012, 03:43:13 PM »
And was it Oxford or Gloucester that was reputed to have said, we don't want the developments here - let Swindon have it?   
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Candide7

• All is for the best in the best of all worlds
« Reply #265 on: June 26, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
@Steve Wakefield
NIMBY - This word has a lot to answer for down the years from Nick Ridley to two jags John Prescott and his Missus (both NIMBYs by the way), Jeremy Clarkson and ramblers. We are all (or most of us) NIMBYs - only an insane person would want to see the field they live next door to concreted over forever.

@Jean
You sound like a cuddly liberal and it is sad that someone who dedicated so much of their life fighting for Coate has felt the need to quit the sinking ship for Oxfordshire. Let's hope you live near David Cameron or Rebekkah Brooks or otherwise the "For Sale" signs may have to go up again.

There are many things wrong with the planning system and the new NPPF, despite what the Tories and Justin Tomlinson said to me, is a developers charter. It will become much harder to stop development in next few years as the desperate Tories (whose economic policies are failing - we've all seen the public spending borrowing figures this morning on TV going up increasing the deficit!) try to kick-start the anaemic economy by boosting the construction sector.

Which leads me to a point I made several pages ago about if you have to build where should you build given that everybody is a NIMBY and nobody wants it in their backyard?

Broken record time. The most sustainable location for development in Swindon is East Swindon. All the evidence base concluded this yet no development has occurred there - school places, access to employment etc etc. Instead we're buiding at Coate and Tadpole etc etc :bash:
Francois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire) - I hate what you say but I defend your right to say it

The opinions and views expressed are my own and are not those of any organisation I belong to

Offline sonicated

• Hello !
« Reply #266 on: June 26, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »
Oxford and Gloucester are surrounded by Greenbelt so the land is a lot more protected.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #267 on: June 26, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
And was it Oxford or Gloucester that was reputed to have said, we don't want the developments here - let Swindon have it?   

Using STFC parlance, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Poxford  :wink:  as the greenbelt surrounds Oxford.

Gloucester is the Swindon of Gloucestershire, it gets the unwanted developments. Look at the average house prices £150k in Gloucester (even less than Swindon, it's that desirable a place to live  :D), £250k in Cheltenham.  The greenbelt here is between the two cities and there has been plenty of development to the south of Gloucester alongside the A38 to provide commuter housing for Bristol.

Perhaps it was Cirencester? I'm going to have to dig around a bit but I'm sure it was their former MP Nicholas Ridley, Secretary of State for the Environment who approved the whole NSD - I guess Jean or you yourself Muggins might remember better.

Offline Candide7

• All is for the best in the best of all worlds
« Reply #268 on: June 26, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
Re: Tadpole Farm
“the Highways Agency is now in a position to withdraw its objection subject to conditions that ....ensure that a Travel Plan is secured to bring about car trip reduction”.

That Travel Plan was the Rapid Bus Transit. Remember, Crest got the Council to drop the Purton-Iffley road upgrade on the basis that they were going to get people out of cars onto the RBT.

If the RBT is not delivered - and there is no guaranteed funding to do it - can or will the Highways Agency re-instate its objection?
Francois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire) - I hate what you say but I defend your right to say it

The opinions and views expressed are my own and are not those of any organisation I belong to

Offline carole bent

• Hello !
« Reply #269 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
Hi George - I just read this thread & a line that you wrote really stood out . 

"The people of Priory Vale have had their patience driven into the ground by a system that they will find difficult to forgive."

It would serve the current administration well to start to pay heed to the dissatisfaction being expressed across the borough & to ask what needs to change within the relationship & the "systems."

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #270 on: June 26, 2012, 04:25:53 PM »

@Jean
You sound like a cuddly liberal and it is sad that someone who dedicated so much of their life fighting for Coate has felt the need to quit the sinking ship for Oxfordshire. Let's hope you live near David Cameron or Rebekkah Brooks or otherwise the "For Sale" signs may have to go up again.

Just to put the record straight - I've never lived in Swindon. I live in Longcot and before that London. I joined Swindon Friends of the Earth nearly 30 years ago as it was my nearest active group. I'm a cuddly green anarchist if you want a label for me. I haven't spent all this time just fighting for Coate. I've also done my best to stop Swindon being targetted for more development and had to learn planning law, environmental law and god knows what else to know how best to campaign. I haven't been very successful, I might point out!

The only way that development to the east might be sustainable is if it was created as a new town in its own right and not dependent on Swindon's infrastructure to work. This is not what is proposed.

Sonicated mentioned greenbelt around Oxford and Gloucester to protect them from spreading. The government would not give Swindon Green Belt status because it has known for years that Swindon was going to be the target for growth. It had a Rural Buffer but that was reduced to buffers to stop Swindon engulfing villages. Even that protective policy seems to be disappearing.
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Muggins

« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
Jean - cuddly liberal   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

It's not the first time Jean's had th You don't live in Swindon' thing thrown at her (it wasn't because she was cuddly) - no one and I mean no one has worked harder to save Swindon from the worst excesses of development or worker harder to mitigate it when it has come about and no one has taken more insults from 'above' in so doing. 

Another 'group' the Council for the Protection of Rural England, represented by another lady we don't hear much of these days, Charmian Spickernell, had actively compaining to protect our rural buffer.  Between them, they had/have the knowledge and the long long hours and ability and will to travel and sit through endless planning appeals etc. and share what they knew with us and we were grateful. Thank them if you can still see green between here and Royal Wootton Bassett.

There is a Silver Book, shown to me in the 80's that predicted the development of all that has been developed since.  Ithink we must be on the Gold one by now.   

Smiler

« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2012, 06:52:57 PM »
VT-
the MP who has given his opinion several times is Justin Tomlinson, North Swindon MP, is my son, and he has told me his thoughts and he has put it in print. He is against inappropriate development – make of that what you like, but those are his words.

Can't VT even resist having a go at her own son to score a few points.  Make of that what you like!  Even she has spotted that there is no substance in JT's utterances on planning.  As he's always saying to residents - you're the expert on this subject.  No JT, you were the councillor, you're the MP, aren't you?  You're residents aren't paid to do your job, are they?

Records speak for themselves and JT spent 10 years doing absolutely nothing to protect Abbey Meads ward from inappropriate development.   We've yet to see evidence in the concrete jungle (his words) up here of his intervention.

George Elliot

« Reply #273 on: June 26, 2012, 06:59:05 PM »
make of that what you like, but those are his words.

I have and I have the urge to be :tickedoff: but should I  ;D or  :'(  If he did say it then he has not said much different since the leaflets.

MrGrumpy

« Reply #274 on: June 26, 2012, 07:03:29 PM »
Just spotted this on the ORA blog.  Does the newest St Andrews councillor have a mind of her own?  Well, now that's a thought.  A Tory having a mind of their own about TF?  Poor old Toby Elliott didn't stand a chance with the black widow spider and the laughing hyena watching his every move at planning.  One was playing games with his mind whilst the other smiled like a Cheshire cat as his political future crashed onto the rocks.

I am Cllr Mary Friend and I would just like to say I would like to reiterate everything that my fellow ward councillors have said, and I shall be speaking on Tuesday night because while we were campaigning so many people brought it up on the doorstep.  It shocked me how many people were against it and reading the application there are so many things that are wrong with it for the people that already live in the area.

That's why she said the application should be approved because all the residents supported her decision and it was such a great application.  Good one MF!  :spin:

George Elliot

« Reply #275 on: June 26, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
What did she say on the Tuesday night?

MrGrumpy

« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2012, 07:19:02 PM »
@George Elliot

Well, I understand from those in the know that it could be VT's turn in the hot seat tonight.  I for one can't wait.  So get your late showing ticket for the front row, get your knitting needles out, ........ and wait for the whirring of the political guillotine to 'cuttez off 'er 'ead!

Offline Zlatan

• I am the greatest
« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »
I think it's time Adinsell Road was opened up for Tadpole Farm. What does Dave Cameron say: "We're all in this together." here's looking at you Redhouse  :wakeup:
Heja Sverige!

Offline Zlatan

• I am the greatest
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:09 PM »
After all Redhouse is already spoilt, all we hear from them is how bad the developer has been. That way lovely Oakhurst, that we all love, can stay the beautiful, peaceful haven it is.
Heja Sverige!

Offline Zlatan

• I am the greatest
« Reply #279 on: June 26, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »
So time to man up Toby and show granny who's boss!
Heja Sverige!