Author Topic: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2  (Read 61473 times)

George Elliot

Re: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm. Part 2
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
The Labour Party are complicit in my view otherwise their members on planning would have at least made me and the remainder of the visiting public aware that they were in fact present.  Unless the Labour Party address such issues in the future they do not give any meaningful indication they would be any different to the Conservatives.

Richard

Pardon me for asking, but your opinion did the Conservative members of the planning committee ask lots more questions in comparison to Labour? I ask as I am aware Libdems were unanoumosly absent from this meeting so unfortunatly will get nil pointe. Was the Labour Leader there and did he ask any questions?

I ask as a comment on the Oakhurst Residents Blog was left  about Labour Leader leaving before the end.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »
Jim Grant is a shift worker and works nights. He had to go to work fortunately he was able to speak to committee before he left. I overheard Jim explain to people from Oakhurst at the start of the meeting that he would have to leave before the end if it was a long meeting.

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:35 PM »
this planning committee is operating at the same level as the last one did.

A certain very senior member of SBC's Officer class told me last year ( and there were witnesses) that the planning committee were frightened by the Wind Turbine objectors.

You may recall that the wind turbine objectors turned out in such force that the Wyvern was required... and ..the committee had to sit on the stage and face the public.

The wind turbines were rejected.

In December 2011 an application for 11 houses in Cloche way was recommended for approval but rejected by the planning committee due to lack of S106 money and ...oh yes .. problems with access.

The planning committee is a quasi-judicial process which is exempt from scrutiny but which makes decisions which will affect this town and those who live here for generations to come.

To have a councillor elected one month and on the planning committee the next does not appear to reflect the seriousness of the role.

Time they all demonstrated in public and to the public that the evidence presented to them by Officers is rigourously evaluated. 

It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Mr Grumble

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
Absolutely agree with you jennyb.  I think there should be some kind of evaluation done on each planning committee member to demonstrate a proper understanding of local plans, government framework, supplementary Dpds, etc.  Nobody should be able to take a place on committee without this evaluation being passed - one imagines a scene with councillors being put through their paces by one of the Borough legal eagles!!  Could this be another nil pointe?

Then there should be a pre-meeting where members have to demonstrate their understanding of the facts of the applications they are making decisions on.  A bit like a test of some sort to show due diligence is being given to the subject matter.

Would many councillors pass?  Only those with some experience or interest in planning?

Oh, by the way, my other half used to do shift work and she found that day workers weren't very sympathetic that she only had 3 or 4 hours sleep during the day.  Could be a bit kind of discrimatory because life has been traditionally set up for daylight hours only!!

Smiler

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »

@George Elliot
Pardon me for asking, but your opinion did the Conservative members of the planning committee ask lots more questions in comparison to Labour? I ask as I am aware Libdems were unanoumosly absent from this meeting so unfortunatly will get nil pointe. Was the Labour Leader there and did he ask any questions?

I hear that very few councillors asked any questions.  Cllr Dart apparently asked a lot of questions and referred directly to the committee report and Cllr Faramarzi asked about what would happen to the S.106 monies if the application was refused.  The questions appeared to prompt the answer expected but that's only what was reported to me.

Mr Grumble makes me split my sides.  What all the councillors having a test for competence in their respective committee subjects?  Um, might that be called the fairy tale examination?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »
Smiler "Cllr Faramarzi asked about what would happen to the S.106 monies if the application was refused"

if this is true, some evaluation is definitely needed - no development-  no section.106. 

Goodness, even I know that!  And don't be fooled by S106 money, it isn't always forthcoming, there are some exceptions.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »
Here is Doncaster's S106 annual monitoring report. http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Images/S106%20AMR-2009-10_tcm2-74906.pdf
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »
I believe this is the most recent I posted the link because Doncaster has a vision about S106
S106 VISION FOR DONCASTER
‘To be a UK leading Authority in the implementation and governance of Section 106, working in partnership with Developers to continually improve and provide attractive neighbourhoods for Doncaster’s residents’

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Images/Section%20106%20Annual%20Monitoring%20Report%202010-11_tcm2-81087.pdf

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »

Has Swindon Borough Council published a section 106 monitoring report?

MrGrumpy

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »
Just spotted this on the Oakhurst Residents' blog site -

http://oakhurstresidents.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/councillors-quotes-at-planning_18.html

Looks like the next cliffhanger episode is here...

George Elliot

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2012, 06:21:04 AM »

Has Swindon Borough Council published a section 106 monitoring report?

Geoff

Are you having a Giraffe?  Haydonwick Parish Council have been waiting months for answers about S106 contribution questions.

George Elliot

« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »
Just spotted this on the Oakhurst Residents' blog site -

http://oakhurstresidents.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/councillors-quotes-at-planning_18.html

Looks like the next cliffhanger episode is here...

Mr Grumpy

Are you trying to put me out of a job? I have been cross posting ORA threads onto TS  :'(

I can see I have to get up  earlier in the morning   :wink:

George Elliot

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2012, 07:25:03 PM »
Here is the latest post on the Oakhurst Residents Association. This quote is from the Link Magazine
"The permission to proceed is subject to further negotiations and agreement between Crest, planning officers and local councillors on Section 106 contributions. However, with Crest holding the appeal gun to Swindon Council's head, the probability of any reversal of the decision is unlikely."

http://oakhurstresidents.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/swindon-link-article-reversal-of.html

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »
FOo the total amount of 106 funds within the councils dedicated 106 account, I questioned as to how much had been recieved from crest nicholson in regards to tadpole farm and I was told they have received nothing from the developers.

They will spew it out , just need to give them a verbal kick in the nuts
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Muggins

« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »
They won't get it yet, Mel.  A bit of building has to go on first. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
I understand they don't actually have to give anything over until they've actually occupied the land, but what does concern me slightly is that this is going to go the way of wichelstowe very quickly. But then again Greenhopper isn't in control of this development and isn't in council anymore. So it could be smooth sailing (but maybe I'm hoping for too much).

If Toby Elliot actually stuck to his guns rather than pulling a u-turn and going back on his own election promise, he could have kicked up a right stink...but it just goes to show that the current encumbents are political jellyfish, spineless, slimey and if you get to close they'll try to sting you.

Ha bloody ha
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline The Oakhurst Avenger

• Cleaning up city hall is a busy job
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »
I have to say how much fun it is watching our politicians squirm when their words and actions are held up to the harsh light of transparency. The ORA blogspot is dynamite  :spin:
Defender of truth and justice

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
I have to say how much fun it is watching our politicians squirm when their words and actions are held up to the harsh light of transparency. The ORA blogspot is dynamite  :spin:

To be held accountable for the actions you have taken... what a novel concept ...what with that and collective responsibility ... they must be all of a tizzy..

It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

MrGrumpy

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:34 AM »
Latest instalment has just appeared on the Oakhurst blog -

http://oakhurstresidents.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/councillors-quotes-at-planning_20.html

Mr Grumble

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »

@ Cllr Nick Martin (Shaw)
I would like to close the old Purton Road link somewhere just short of Thamesdown Drive and tell the folks up there to find their own way someplace else.  But then it can’t be done, it would be really nice, it would change the whole dynamic of driving around West Swindon.  It would also open up Mead Way wonderfully.

Maybe I ought to actually blow the road up, but there you go".

Does this guy actually think he's funny?  He appears to be the ultimate Nimby.  No development in West Swindon but just pile it up in the North?  Where are the NDA councillors to protect the North from their Nimby colleagues? 

Still, it's always reassuring to have local councillors who can't remember that they said something completely different in March.  Perhaps after 26 years it's time to put Nick Martin out to pasture?  Perhaps too many years in the blu arena has affected his thinking?