Author Topic: 150 cars damaged - tyres slashed and cars scratched in Old Town  (Read 4026 times)

Offline moley

• Hello !
Re: 150 cars damaged - tyres slashed and cars scratched in Old Town
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
think there is also a massive perception that if you phone the police they won't turn up or you will get told off for wasting police time so you think why bother.

I speak from experience.

I speak from experience too... I've been warned by the police for wasting their time when I called them out (having quite good reason to believe someone may have been sexually assaulted).  I was told it was my job to find out  whether an offence had really taken place before I called them.  As an engineer (with the subtlety of an engineer) I think if they had been assaulted I'd have done more harm than good trying to find that out.....

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
I speak from experience too... I've been warned by the police for wasting their time when I called them out (having quite good reason to believe someone may have been sexually assaulted).  I was told it was my job to find out  whether an offence had really taken place before I called them.  As an engineer (with the subtlety of an engineer) I think if they had been assaulted I'd have done more harm than good trying to find that out.....

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »
"I think this is the crux of the problem myself (and I suspect most people) are nervous about calling 999 which police stress is for life and death and emergencies only.  I discovered the other day that there is now a non emergency number 101 for such an event."

Blimey I though everyone knew about the 101 number, well they should up here, seeing as how we ran a nagging campaign to get rid of that 0845 number that cost us a fortune to ring and hang on.
and hang on we did, so much so that we had to make a note of what we were ringing about before we dialled, so that we would remember what is was when we got to speak to someone.

However , if you think a crime is happening you have to ring 999, it's then their responsibility to respond, not your for not having reported it, whether you get grumbled at or not.

101 is for those other crimes that have happened and smaller crimes not needing an immediate response.  It still take some time to get through to a human being on 101 and usually I email the Neighbourhood Policing teams with that sort of thing and/or turn up at the NEST meetings.  In some areas, the Police hold regular surgeries and there is always Crimestoppers.

To report a crime, eeven if there is no apparent repsonse, means the police can build up a picture of what going wrong in your area and these figures enable bosses to put resources in to cope with it. so your call counts and we have stressed this endlessly up here and around  the fields.

i.e. when I thought something was on fire I rang 999. When I heard/hear a motorbike down the fields I ring 101 - or email.

If they told you off for time wasting I suspect it not the first time you've rung!  With a 101 call, don't expect a repsonse inmmediately.

There was a time when any phone call got you a visit albiet a couple of days later from at least one Police person, and I asked that they didn't bother with that - it was a waste of their time and of mine, which I would rather they spent fighting the nuisance. and to be honest at one point I was ringing so often having the police on my doorstep evey couple of days was getting me a bit of a reputation! 

I understand the lack of numbers to cope with our crime, and I still after all this time, have respect for our Police force and the extremely unpleasant thigns they have to do on our behalf.

Though I reserve the right to have the occasional grumble.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »
This was the sort of priority that that PCC candidates  spoke of in the run up to their elections and how they would make it a priority  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
I've heard that the radio have announced that two people have been arrested - and further info on the rumour mill is that the police have determined that 'a bladed instrument attached to a piece of wood' was what was used to pierce the tyres (AND - since th stupid media keep failing to report it) SCRATCH THE PAINTWORK - which is the really expensive damage which most of us won't be able to afford to put right.

... and in answer Mick, what exactly is he supposed to have done, realistically? There's not a lot you can do to counter the @r$ehole factor... BUT - and I was actually a little heartened by this - Bluh and the PCC have put up some money as a reward for information. Not much, but at least its a gesture.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10247591.Reward_offered_in_tyre_slasher_case

... and here's the latest skinny on the arrests. I should think with the level of public interest, there'll be more info soon: http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10248240.Two_men_arrested_over_tyre_slashing/
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »
Shame we don't yet have a system which allows the punishment to fit the crime.  I quite like the idea that (post-prosecution) the guilty party(s) are securely manacled inside a stack of slashed car tyres which have been adapted to allow the ingress of semi-solids and liquids without, quite, drowning the occupant.

I think it would educational for the occupants to learn what it feels like to pretty much be at the whimsical mercy of any passing pedestrian and to suffer the constant background frisson of not knowing what shit is going to be visited upon them next.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 03:30:46 PM »
Me too!

The likelihood is that the people who did this were 'lashing out' at the people they feel are to blame for their woeful childhoods - despite the fact that its us who're probably paying for their current housing through our tax - and who'll also be paying - along with the repairs - to send them through the court system as well.

I'd like a system of restorative justice where not only were they forced to speak to the victims of their crimes (begging the obvious 'why me?!' question) - but also one in which the victims can do something proportionate back to them so they appreciate the consequences of their actions. I wonder if they might have a little pause for thought after watching their X-Box get trashed, nails hammered through their mobile, their fags, ganja and booze tipped into a vat of dog poo and a stanley-knife taken to their favourite baseball cap or trainers...? That might be OTT - but I'm still wondering how many of the sanctions taken against people who can't be fined (short of a prison sentance) really either cause them to reflect after punishment, or deters them from doing anything in the future...  :-\

The concept of 'do as you would be done by' is dead to people who feel untouchable and who have not been properly punished in a way that makes them understand the cause and effect of behaving unreasonably. I have every sympathy for genuine hardship or abysmal home lives - and I don't subscribe to the 'birch 'em' brigade - but neither do I to the current lilly livered approach in which any perpetrator is treated with kid gloves. It doesn't teach them anything - and it infuriates victims to the point that any potential empathy with the cause of the issue is totally forgotten. Some kind of balance needs to be struck - for everyone's sake.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:43:07 PM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »
Tobes "I'd like a system of restorative justice where not only were they forced to speak to the victims of their crimes"

Well, I thought this was already done, at least in some cases.  But it would be interesting to see these two - if they are indeed 'them what done it'  arrive at a hall full of those they offended that night.  It would be interesting also to see them sit through several hours of stories of people who have been inconvenienced,  there must be stories among that many people that are beyond the 'I had to go to the garage and it cost me....., or the 'That came out of the holiday fund'.  Knock on effects so to speak. 

Maybe an entrance fee could be charged so that people could get a bit of payback too.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »

If they told you off for time wasting I suspect it not the first time you've rung!  With a 101 call, don't expect a repsonse inmmediately.

Muggins.. the occasion I mention above is the ONLY time I've ever called the police.  (I had already had one other very bad experience when I lived in London - so I already wanted to minimize my dealings!! But having now got a selection of bad experiences i would only call them in an absolute emergency. 

Note that this in a lot of ways goes very contrary to my upbringing - but is a position born out of (bad) experiences with 3 different police forces.

Moley

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 10:17:34 AM »
Field Punishment No 1 and variations thereof would seem to fit the bill.

I was quite impressed with the sheer devilish imagination of this one:

or the best one I saw which was fully knock a 6ft angle iron picket into the ground with a sledge hammer and then dig it up in full kit

I assume this is repeated until whoever is in charge gets bored.

I think in descending order these are the priorities which should be adopted;

Restitution for the victim, retribution with some degree of discretion for the victim as to what form that should take (keeps the wrist wringers happy) and a commensurate period of state inflicted misery for the criminal. When all that is ticked off then maybe a bit of educative support for the perpetrator.

Course, none of that can get underway without apprehension happening first.

I can't quite work out when punishment was considered to be not quite the done thing, I've no doubt I'd be grateful it was the case if I wandered off to the dark side, but in the meantime I'm in a pretty constant state of spit at the corner of the mouth and furiously rustling newspapers (or keyboards, not quite the same with a laptop though, it helps to keep an old newspaper handy in case you read something on the interweb that gets the eye twitching, just pick it up and give it a quick shake).

Society will get increasingly polarised if the working joe comes to truly believe they are a cash crop and source of diversion for Governments and an indolent state sponsored maliciously mischievous underclass.

I'm wandering off down that road myself and feeling less guilty about it every time I hear about and incident like this.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »

I can't quite work out when punishment was considered to be not quite the done thing, I've no doubt I'd be grateful it was the case if I wandered off to the dark side, but in the meantime I'm in a pretty constant state of spit at the corner of the mouth and furiously rustling newspapers (or keyboards, not quite the same with a laptop though, it helps to keep an old newspaper handy in case you read something on the interweb that gets the eye twitching, just pick it up and give it a quick shake).

Society will get increasingly polarised if the working joe comes to truly believe they are a cash crop and source of diversion for Governments and an indolent state sponsored maliciously mischievous underclass.

I'm wandering off down that road myself and feeling less guilty about it every time I hear about and incident like this.

I'm pragmatically polarised and don't feel the slightest twinge of angst by saying, (again), that I think abolishing corporal punishment in schools was a serious mistake which upset the rights & responsibilities, actions and consequences dynamic upon which society balances precariously.  I am not just talking about tyre slashers here.

I think we're seeing the inevitable results of equipping several generations of people with the knowledge that they have rights with very few responsibilities and that behaving like utter shits is unlikely to result in meaningful, (for them), negative consequences.  If they're caught, (and that's a BIG 'if), any punishment they do receive is unlikely to be commensurate with the nature and degree of their shitty behaviour and is therefore unlikely to deter them, or others, from doing whatever it is they enjoy doing again.   

The political answer to this will be to point towards elected Crime Commissioners and say: "See, we're already doing that!", to which I say: "Bollocks".  20 Eyes was, (to a point), justified in pointing to the Judiciary and commenting on the disparity between, (for one Judge in particular), the harsh words from the bench pre-sentencing, which were followed by unusually lenient sentences being handed down at the point of sentencing.

I'd like to see corporal punishment re-instated in secondary schools.

I'd like to see the small number of those who regularly and intentionally shit on the majority of well meaning, well adjusted and decent members of society publicly exposed to the ridicule and contempt they deserve.  I'd like to see stocks in Canal Walk instead of Rod's Pissoir with an illuminated sign to explain the crime, e.g: "I slashed the tyres on 90 cars in Eastcott"

If they continued to offend I'd like to see them chain-ganged to repair roads, dig ditches and work in fields during the day and curfewed at night. I don't think the threat of prison works for a particular type of offender, but enforced working might.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
Geoff: "any punishment they do receive is unlikely to be commensurate with the nature and degree of their shitty behaviour and is therefore unlikely to deter them"

funny you should say that, you just beat me to the post with this:

i have an appropriate punishment.

On the day Tobes woke to his slahed tyres and paint work, we woke to something flooding in the Orchard, when it was reported we thought it was a water main and reported it as such, but as the days went on it whiffed a bit and an unknown manhole cover lifted and other stuff started to flow with it.

This would fit in - the seem to like hill too. Hopefully by the time they've finished that they won't have much energy left for more mischief any time soon

I know from experience that this stuff when dry refoms into as sort of card, it's now across the Orchard, the spinney beyond and way on its way down the field beyond  nearly to Haydon Brook at the bottom of 7F's. 

So, bring 'em over here, give them a bucket, let them collect said stuff, put the skips at the top of the hill (there are a couple there anyway in ahousing compound). Clean up one bucket at a time going up and down said hill. 

think thats a bit much?  Well it's them or us..............

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »

Ah, your comment in Richards gardening forum makes sense now. Raw sewage not delivered unto your garden by vandals & Thames Water  :) 

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »
Just a quick public request that those effected by the slasher/scratchers bother to report it: We know over 150 cars were effected, but apparently only 97 people have bothered to report it.

I know people wonder if there's any point, given the likely paucity and meaningless of any punishment - but lets at least give the courts a chance. 150 x an average of £500 a car (a conservative guess, tbh) would mean damage of £75k. Thats serious money - and something which will oblige the court and the judge to sit up and take notice.

Please, if you were effected, or know anyone else who was, please encourage them to get in touch with the police and give details ASAP.

Anyone with information should contact Wiltshire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »
I know its an extra cost, but this is worth a small leaflet and knocking up the neighbours (with the door knocker and bell) before anyone reads anything into that suggestion! 

How are they going to know if they don't get the Adver or read it here?