Author Topic: Even More open space under threat  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Muggins

Even More open space under threat
« on: February 20, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
Its come to me, that never mind what we would normally call open space -i.e. those larger areas in housing estates. That plans may already be afoot to build on areas, in the lastest Core strategy plans that are shaded green.

This can and in the past has, happened in areas that belong to Swindon Borough Council housing estates. Housing portfolio land.

They are not 'white space', they are not large areas, but neither are they brown field sites. They can affect the rest of Swindon if they are put on escarpments or in the middle of or on the edge of already dense housing. etc.

So as usual no warning until it's too late.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: Even More open space under threat
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:25:20 PM »
I'd say it's the green spaces that are in the white areas that could be at risk.

If plans are submitted for a green shaded area then at least the locals can argue that the plans go against the specified use in the local plan. Whereas a small green area (big enough for a small block of flats say or a couple of houses) that isn't marked might well get sold off.

Offline Muggins

Re: Even More open space under threat
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »
I'd say it's the green spaces that are in the white areas that could be at risk.

If plans are submitted for a green shaded area then at least the locals can argue that the plans go against the specified use in the local plan. Whereas a small green area (big enough for a small block of flats say or a couple of houses) that isn't marked might well get sold off.

And that's what happens, except no one knows until it's too late and it seems housing dept portfolio is outside any plans whilst appearing to be in them, and they are not referred to, if they want the land they take it.

Usually though not sold off, but given away - or at least it used to be.

And as usual planned to happen just before or after new policy.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)