Author Topic: Spin-off topic from >> The Latest Olive-Type Wheeze....  (Read 1563 times)

MrGrumpy

Spin-off topic from >> The Latest Olive-Type Wheeze....
« on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:56 PM »
Administrator Comment Following #8 Posts split from: The Latest Olive-Type Wheeze....

Geoff

@Des - as a politician in opposition to the conservatives I would expect you to bat for your side just as they do. 

However, the question still remains what did Small and Grant do about it?  As you were not mentioned in the letter your statement that you were not approached seems self explanatory.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:03:55 PM by Geoff Reid »

Mr Grumble

Re: Spin-off topic from >> The Latest Olive-Type Wheeze....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »
Mr Grumpy, good point made.  But..don't you know how difficult it is to get a politician to answer a question regardless of party or affiliation? :fish:

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:52:08 PM »
@Des - as a politician in opposition to the conservatives I would expect you to bat for your side just as they do. 

However, the question still remains what did Small and Grant do about it?  As you were not mentioned in the letter your statement that you were not approached seems self explanatory.

Or perhaps the question should be... what COULD they do about it given massive cut backs and lack of staff.

Not so long ago Mannington Rec used to be 'cleaned' every week, i suspect it doesn't even get look at all now.

One wonders if a trawl through the Council's complaint system might reveal worse examples of negelect and lack of councillor response. Unfortunately that might also reveal the ineffectiveness of councillors of all shades in the light of the cabinet system of council control employed by the current administration.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »
Unfortunately that might also reveal the ineffectiveness of councillors of all shades in the light of the cabinet system of council control employed by the current administration.

I think SBC have failed this town for many years, under more than one political colour.

Unfortunately, to the likes of Olive, that means I must be an "all out lefty"

Easier than listening to the electorate I suppose.

Too many councillors and politicians seem to think that getting elected means the majority of people support all of their following actions (even when they are informed to the contrary)

Being elected to serve should never be a license to be arrogant. Folk like Olive seems to disagree with that principle

Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 08:39:32 AM »
[

Or perhaps the question should be... what COULD they do about it given massive cut backs and lack of staff.

Not so long ago Mannington Rec used to be 'cleaned' every week, i suspect it doesn't even get look at all now.

One wonders if a trawl through the Council's complaint system might reveal worse examples of negelect and lack of councillor response. Unfortunately that might also reveal the ineffectiveness of councillors of all shades in the light of the cabinet system of council control employed by the current administration.
[/quote]

True Rich, but I am sure that most people really don't know how bad it is!  But it won't be long now before they find out!  Cllrs can be asked to get something done, but who is goign to do it.

I suspect that the lady from Morris street saw an article in the paper about a councillor leading a litter pick up and expected hers to do likewise. 

But I saw posting from a cllr yesterday saying to a local person he could see what support they could get for his project (small one) when I/we had been told the same day there is no support.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

MrGrumpy

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »
I don't think this was just the case of a lady seeing an article in a newspaper.  If you read the letter she sent in to the Adver, which has been copied on to the website, she is very clear that she had been in a continuous e-mail chain/dialogue with Cllrs Small and Grant.  According to her there was going to be a community clean up day in April 2012. She said this did not happen (as of July 2012).

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
No doubt she did have a long dialogue, maybe she was one of Rod's, "you are keeping on because you are not getting the answer you want" brigade) - AFTER she saw the article about councillors organising litter pick ups.

What I'm saying is, I would like to hear from the cllrs and hear their side of it,(although I don't think they contribute here much)  but also wonder why she didn't organise the pick up herself. I've organised enough in my time, but not actually done a lot of the litter picking myself lately(less fit than I used to be). 

If there is one thing that David whatsiname and Rod get, is the idea of the Big Society when it comes to litter picking.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »
No doubt she did have a long dialogue, maybe she was one of Rod's, "you are keeping on because you are not getting the answer you want" brigade) - AFTER she saw the article about councillors organising litter pick ups.

What I'm saying is, I would like to hear from the cllrs and hear their side of it,(although I don't think they contribute here much)  but also wonder why she didn't organise the pick up herself. I've organised enough in my time, but not actually done a lot of the litter picking myself lately(less fit than I used to be). 

If there is one thing that David whatsiname and Rod get, is the idea of the Big Society when it comes to litter picking.

If i remember, the last team I organised into Mannington Rec wasn't a council team anyway it was a community payback young offenders outfit, I suppose no one is left to co-ordinate that anymore.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
I think they are still about, their name comes up quite often, it's like if we say, let's litter pick, the idea is 'we' get them in to do it.

I don't know if things have changed but community service was also supposed to give them on it a smattering of experiences of all things community, not just litter picking up.

Personally I like to see them that dropped it in the first place being shamed by their neighbours picking it up -although the chances are, it if was in the rec. that the kids that play there dropped it.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Re: Spin-off topic from >> The Latest Olive-Type Wheeze....
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »
Personally I like to see them that dropped it in the first place being shamed by their neighbours picking it up -although the chances are, it if was in the rec. that the kids that play there dropped it.

Ha!, you should see Lydiard  'Jewel in the Crown' Park on a Monday morning, after the adults have taken the kiddie winkles there for a picnic on the Sunday.

It's eye-wateringly appalling on a bad day, so bad in fact that we stopped walking the girls there on Mondays and Tuesdays preferring a 30 mile round trip to walk in Oxfordshire instead.

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
I can imagine, we've got this really super new, well last spring it was new, adventure play equipment down the fun end of 7F's, the kids seem to be looking after it and enjoying it as they should, but you should see the stuff around that! 

We had this celebration film made about volunteering on Penhill with special showing a couple fo weeks ago, the filer failed to miss it under the equipment, if it ever gets up on Youtube, i'll put in a link.

Back in the BIG  :2funny: environment days we suggested that we have litter 'police' volunteers to chase people with their rubbish.