Author Topic: Groundbreaking or Farce / Public To Decide Ideal Location For School  (Read 25958 times)

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Re: Groundbreaking or Farce / Public To Decide Ideal Location For School
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
I'm interested to see what Cllr Woods 'independent' investigation will have to say about the closure of Northview Primary School and then Cllr Tomlinsons role in that closure.

I believe that Cllr Wood's 'independent review' is due out by the end of February 2013 .. some 6 weeks late.

I look forward to it with interest.
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »
Psssst..... I think it might have started!

When going around Mouldon for my first dog walk of the day I noticed that SCS had the car park coned off in the area where the new "proposed" access road will join. One operative was removing the metal guards from around a couple well established saplings (spade on the ground ready for action!) another was scanning the area with one of those pipe/cable detector thingies.
It might all be a coincidence of course  :-\

As Jim Royle would say: "Consultation?.......... my arse!"

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »
Perhpas TSers and friends should be takign regular dog wlks there, and befriending the regular dog walkers, I can recomend this - nothing like dog walker for keeping an eye on things and reporting back.  i know one, will get in touch with her and tell her what's going on!

If SBC won't discuss it, we'll just have to do the detective work ourselves.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:11 AM »
Muggins

Prey tell will you be taking your motorised surveillance car  down on a mission? If you do then don't for get your toothbrush camera. :wink:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
That's the difference between me and the blokes, Steve, I don't do morotised, well not in the way you mean.

My contrubition (or mission) should I choose to take time out from what I am already up to my neck in! (Nothing to do with the Orchard) would be one of human resources.

I would already have that to hand if I walked a dog there.  I don't have a dog neither can I get over there easily, so how to contact the people we need?

I've made a start.  A network is what we need and a facebook page.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »

I would already have that to hand if I walked a dog there.  I don't have a dog neither can I get over there easily, so how to contact the people we need?

I've got a dog Muggins...... can I join your network miss? Can I? Can I? :2funny:

I've just been over there again for the afternoon walkies and can report that the metal guards have been removed from ALL the trees/saplings in the car park central reservation. However the task was obviously too much for a spade to cope with so they've now brought in a small mechanical digger..... photo to follow!

I say again, this could all be a coincidence so I'm keeping a 20% open mind ATM.
But just in case; can you remind me again when the consultation period is/was due to end? And how long would it take them to make a decision following such a consultation period?

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »
I'm going to be nice  :angel: And think the best of SBC.

Could the work going on be anything to do with the railway?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »

It may be wise to hope for the best but plan for the worst...
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 04:53:49 PM »

Hope you're right JayJay. But the plans I last saw showed the rail track skirting around the periphery of the current car park to a temporary station in the field adjacent to it, so can't really see what impact it would have to necessitate the current work...... but we live in hope!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 05:54:27 PM »

I've got a dog Muggins...... can I join your network miss? Can I? Can I? :2funny:

I've just been over there again for the afternoon walkies and can report that the metal guards have been removed from ALL the trees/saplings in the car park central reservation. However the task was obviously too much for a spade to cope with so they've now brought in a small mechanical digger..... photo to follow!

I say again, this could all be a coincidence so I'm keeping a 20% open mind ATM.
But just in case; can you remind me again when the consultation period is/was due to end? And how long would it take them to make a decision following such a consultation period?

Of course you can Weebs - a founder member!  Shall we put up a facebook page? If we do are you up for handing out leaflets to other dog walkers etc. to get them to join? All we need is to keep the information flowing then hopefully things iwll start to happen.

That way goes the devil!   Agree with Jennyb - hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »

Can anyone supply a precise map so we can see exactly where we're walking and what we're observing?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Perhaps it would be easier to Google Earth it.

Find the car park - And each time you go, walk in a different direction. I think that's possible at Mouldon Hill, because there are parts I know we haven't explored. Take photos - no need to publish them here, just keep them so you know what it looked like at any given time.  Then when things start to happen take comparable photo's.

If anything happens I fancy it will be in the vicinity of the car park and not further up by the lake. things shouldn't really be happening near that car park, its not long since that was all put in.

I was never scared to go up and ask workmen what they were doing, whatever they are doing you
are paying for it somewhere along the line (no pun intended) Definitely do this if said workers are carry clipboards and have hard hats!  If they can't answer that then ask for the name of a person who can, of course I have the advantage of looking like a slightly dotty old dear, so no one ever didn't give me a few clues as to what was going on.

If your dog is likely to jump at them it makes them edgy enough to want to get rid of you quickly with an answer.  My last dog was a cracker for the jumping up covered in mud, especially if I didn't bring him to heel like he was trained to do.   

This is a long haul, but easy to do, task. Just walk your dog - observe - photo - report.

At the same time paperwork needs to be poured over to find pout what's what and moles need to be found. 

Just call me 'M'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »
Google earth will help people to find Mouldon Hill Country Park.....

....but it's not going to highlight the area(s) under threat of development.  People want to know what they're looking for on the ground.

I'll ask again: Has anyone got a plan which shows the area(s) under threat?

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 06:57:49 AM »
I haven't got one, but I have seen one somewhere - on here I thought, but can't find it. 

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 07:54:40 AM »
these are the consultation maps:-
site 1
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/cd-consultations/cd-consultations-current/Documents/Mouldon%20Hill%20Option.pdf
site 2
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/cd-consultations/cd-consultations-current/Documents/Mouldon%20Hill%20-%20Option%202.pdf

hope these are sufficent

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »

....but it's not going to highlight the area(s) under threat of development.  People want to know what they're looking for on the ground.

North Swindon School Consultation
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/cd-consultations/cd-consultations-current/Pages/cd-consultation-primaryschoolplacesnorthswindon.aspx

Proposed site

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/cd-consultations/cd-consultations-current/Documents/Mouldon%20Hill%20Option.pdf

option 2 on Mouldon Hill

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/cd-consultations/cd-consultations-current/Documents/Mouldon%20Hill%20-%20Option%202.pdf

Full map of Mouldon Hill Country Park from SBC... the proposed school site is in the top right hand ( north east) corner. I believe that the 2 options relate to differing access rather than differing locations.

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=14838&J=1

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
Happy to report that yesterday's alert was a false alarm. Looks like all they were doing was removing the metal guards and replacing them with very large wooden stakes. Although why they needed to call upon a mini digger to do this seems a bit of an overkill..... maybe they were just probing Muggins' doggie-walking intelligentsia :coolsmiley:. Yesterday they managed to complete four saplings, so I reckon they'll be around for a week or so yet!

On a happier note, I noticed this morning that someone* has made great inroads into the community forest planting between the old railway track and river Ray, on  the opposite side of Purton road -- so at least some good stuff is happening. Don't know how this will affect the Iffley road link (or whatever it's called now) but it's going to narrow the available corridor quite a bit. Were there plans published not long ago showing the proposed route?

*The planting down along Akers Way was carried out last December by a group of young school children which was quite heart-warming to see them getting involved.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 01:36:12 PM »
If your dog is likely to jump at them it makes them edgy enough to want to get rid of you quickly with an answer.  My last dog was a cracker for the jumping up covered in mud, especially if I didn't bring him to heel like he was trained to do.   

Muggins I don't my soppy old Springer would make anyone edgy.......... unless of course they made the mistake of trying to eat a sandwich within 50 yards upwind of his nose, which would make it a whole different ballgame  :embarassed:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
Carry Tesco meatballs with you and lob one in their direction, that should solve that problem.

Springer aye!  I like Springers. 

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

North Swindon School Consultation
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/cd-consultations/cd-consultations-current/Pages/cd-consultation-primaryschoolplacesnorthswindon.aspx

Proposed site

option 2 on Mouldon Hill

Full map of Mouldon Hill Country Park from SBC... the proposed school site is in the top right hand ( north east) corner. I believe that the 2 options relate to differing access rather than differing locations.

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=14838&J=1

Jenny B,

There are two seperate proposal for the park - either a school at the entrance opposite the Tawny Owl, or a school North East part of the park between the railway and the river.