Author Topic: Likeable or Loonies?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Likeable or Loonies?
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
http://www.eureferendum.com/Default.aspx

Surprised I've only just stumbled across this, I'm normally cautious about such sites because I think they are sometimes just one step removed from sites involving aliens who are bad at lawn mowing, aeroplanes spraying things on us, lizard world domination and 100 Handy Recipes for your Nokia.

This one seems quite well written though that does not guarantee it's veracity, I've whanged a short cut in so I can have a mooch now and again.

I like the message generally, Spitfire logo is a bit of jingoistic overkill perhaps, hence the caution.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
Re: Likeable or Loonies?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »
Spitfire or Hawker Typhoon Tankbuster  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:06 PM »
I dunno, I'm not that old.

Ask Muggins. I'm sure she won't take offence.

Reasonably sure anyway.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Likeable or Loonies?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
Hawker Typhoon . Tank and train buster in the months after D Day 1944. German tanks and French trains probably being the hidden meaning.
What's it all about?

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 08:09:44 AM »
Hawker Typhoon . Tank and train buster in the months after D Day 1944. German tanks and French trains probably being the hidden meaning.

What a Subliminal message is that a a bit like the subliminal absorption of this country and our way of life by Brusselecrats  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »
Bl
I dunno, I'm not that old.

Ask Muggins. I'm sure she won't take offence.

Reasonably sure anyway.

Blooming cheek! As I read the first two posts, Mr Muggins came to stand behind me (I wish he wouldn't do that!) so I was able to follow the link with him stood there and ask him - he's a blessed genious aircraft spotter. 

Typhoon, he says - brilliant plane he reckons.  Did I tell you he was the first Scout in Swindon to get his airspotters badge, when it came in the shop they wouldn't let him take it until they had all seen it.

I however, was born too late to see any 2nd world war aircraft flying in anger.

Concorde was good though and I had a passing fondness for the old Hercules
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »
Bit worrying with all the military references, tanks and parlement, WW2 fighter aircraft and a map of europe......

its as if they are harking back to 60 years ago and a simpler life. Let the past be, its the 21st century, life and the world is a lot more complicated now and the UK is just a small part of bigger world. Live with it. the webpage wouldn't look half as looney without all that.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
That's what got me undecided, the visuals don't sit quite right with the decent standard of writing.

On the subject of the world being more complicated now, that's one of my issues with the EU. Complicated and complex does not automatically equate to civilised, quite the opposite I reckon, complicated and complex means people potentially, maybe probably, don't get what they deserve or need.

Simple is good, we waste too much time understanding things that are needlessly complicated.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
Complicated and complex is a barrier to understanding and 'engagement' so anyone with a web page like that is either manipulating an outcome or shooting themselves in the foot.

I reckon whoever created it just loved setting it up and didn't know when to stop!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »
This site looks to be about, by and promoting the books of
RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH! RICHARD NORTH!

... Some of what he says rings bells with me... but I'm not sure about the rest, which looks high on rant and a little low on dispassionate objective comment or evidence. I think the following quote is illustrative:
In 2006 North wrote on his blog, "if being wrong gets one closer to the truth – as it does – then it is worth putting up half-formed speculation and letting the debate rage."

No, no its doesn't. Whilst its fine to be wrong every so often, especially if you acknowledge and learn from that,  justifying yourself in that way also risks looking like an arrogant and lazy way of not bothering to get your facts right in the first place.

Speculation is excusable in my view if you openly acknowledge that its speculation. Portraying it as the truth might make you look like a bit of a bell-end.

As a Eurosceptic myself, I have an innate fear that people who wrap themselves in the flag and dominate a blog about modern Europe with imagery and references to the military events of 75 years ago risk look like raving Daily Mail bigots...  :(

Still, I'm interested in finding out more.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
I like Europe, the fags and booze are cheap, the weather is nice and it gives Johnny Foreigner a place he can call home.

It's also conveniently close if you feel a need to 'go abroad', which I do, first 2 weeks in Juky thank you very much.

I very much like the idea of trade being conducted in the manner of a large market.

I do not much like the idea of some merde kopf in Brussels even mildly suggesting what unit of measure I may use to purchase potatoes let alone getting uppity with legislation that is properly the domain of the Mother of all Parliaments (though she's been a bit vague lately).

What I am a bit sensitive of though is supporting a literate self promoting potential Nazi.

I too remain interested.

"if being wrong gets one closer to the truth '

That's encouraging, Rob could be on the threshold of a special moment, bless him.