Author Topic: 70 Jobs to go at SCS is this additional to the 70 in SBC?  (Read 3355 times)

Brandysnap

70 Jobs to go at SCS is this additional to the 70 in SBC?
« on: February 03, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
The 70 workers are from SCS if they are arms length and SBC is cutting 70 is it a total of 140 or just two unrelated 70s? Note the comments.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10190418.Council_contractor_is_to_shed_70_jobs/

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Re: 70 Jobs to go at SCS is this additional to the 70 in SBC?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:34:23 AM »
The 70 workers are from SCS if they are arms length and SBC is cutting 70 is it a total of 140 or just two unrelated 70s? Note the comments.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10190418.Council_contractor_is_to_shed_70_jobs/

As SCS is supposed to be a discrete company then this would have to be distinct from SBC job losses would it not?

Does anyone know how many Customers SCS has aside from SBC?

Do they advertise?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »

As SCS is supposed to be a discrete company then this would have to be distinct from SBC job losses would it not?

Does anyone know how many Customers SCS has aside from SBC?

Do they advertise?

I'm not entirely sure but, I have an inkling that one of the problems with Swindon Borough Council running SCS as an, ahem, 'arms length company' (and remaining as its only shareholder), is that SCS would be legally restricted as to the amount/percentage of its 'basket of work' which it could source from or tender for outside of the work fed to it by Swindon Borough Council.

If I'm right about this I'd suggest that the administration has strangled SCS as a viable commercial entity because it wanted to retain political control of the company-which-isn't-really-a-proper-company-because-it-is-not-really-standing-alone-or-at-arms-length-at-all.

In fact, I'm wondering if the Wroughton Solar farm plan isn't just another WiFi'esque wheeze by which the 'backer-who-has-not-yet-been-chosen' will prop up SCS with a massive wedge from the Public Works Loan Board which you and I will be funding from our taxes.

Any guesses as to which body might be the 'backer-who-has-not-yet-been-chosen'?

Any guesses as to how many millions of pounds of tax payers money SBC drip-fed into SCS via the money-laundering device which is also known as the 'Croft School' ?

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »
I believe that SCS have tried to win contracts outside of SBC. They have won a few but have mostly been unsuccessful.

If they do start to win external contracts, I would be concerned about their performance/commitment to SBC projects. The new clients would almost certaintly take priority as they would rightly expect contracts to be fulfilled. SBC often let SCS off the 'contractual hook' for poor performance, allow extended periods for completion and even pay extra if problems are encountered.

On some occassions, the relaxations are reasonable. For example, if SCS staff are required to carry out gritting during the night they will be allowed to rest the following day and their normal work will slip. It makes sense to have gritters on call in this way, but external clients will not accept the delays and will get priority treatment when normal services resume.

I heard a rumour the other day that the borough are struggling to deliver approx £1 million of work due to poor planning and management. The proposed solution is bring in a former SCS officer (who was made redundant last year) as a consultant. As tax payers we are paying redundacy and early retirement costs for staff who are deemed surplus to requirements one day and are then brought back on expensive consultant fees the next. In this case, the need for additional staff is purely down to poor planning and management by officers earlier in the year which has resulted in a peak workload at the end of the year.

I would love to give more details here but don't want to get my source in trouble as we all know how vindictive SBC management can be, especially at a time when staff numbers are being cut.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »
I believe that SCS have tried to win contracts outside of SBC. They have won a few but have mostly been unsuccessful.

If they do start to win external contracts, I would be concerned about their performance/commitment to SBC projects. The new clients would almost certaintly take priority as they would rightly expect contracts to be fulfilled. SBC often let SCS off the 'contractual hook' for poor performance, allow extended periods for completion and even pay extra if problems are encountered.

On some occassions, the relaxations are reasonable. For example, if SCS staff are required to carry out gritting during the night they will be allowed to rest the following day and their normal work will slip. It makes sense to have gritters on call in this way, but external clients will not accept the delays and will get priority treatment when normal services resume.

I heard a rumour the other day that the borough are struggling to deliver approx £1 million of work due to poor planning and management. The proposed solution is bring in a former SCS officer (who was made redundant last year) as a consultant. As tax payers we are paying redundacy and early retirement costs for staff who are deemed surplus to requirements one day and are then brought back on expensive consultant fees the next. In this case, the need for additional staff is purely down to poor planning and management by officers earlier in the year which has resulted in a peak workload at the end of the year.

I would love to give more details here but don't want to get my source in trouble as we all know how vindictive SBC management can be, especially at a time when staff numbers are being cut.

Good points. SCS is, because it is wholly owned and politically controlled by SBC, neither fish-nor-fowl in a commercial sense.  When publicly funded work is readily available things are fine, but when the publicly funded work dries up it is unable, for several reasons, to properly pursue enough external work to be viable and the debilitating effects of Bluhs Black Hole Budget have now visibly seeped into and soiled SCS from the ground upwards.

The 'political vindictiveness' SBC shows towards it's own, (arms length), employees also affects how SCS is viewed by potential clients of the company.  I certainly wouldn't award any large contracts to a company owned by this council until and unless I was absolutely sure that the company was self-controlled and not being influenced by politicians.  I don't believe that is currently the case.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
Note the comments.

Yes,  I particularly enjoyed the comments on that thread.
Pity I missed reading it before comments were removed
Proud to be gone