Author Topic: Daily Mail: Big brother to log your drinking habits and waist size as GPs are fo  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
I've just had one of those surreal moments where I discover that I seem to be in agreement with a Daily Mail journalist  :o

I'm not sure whether the no2id forum is the right one for this post, but we've previously discussed the wider issue of where information about us is stored, what it's used for and who can see it here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272166/Big-brother-log-drinking-habits-waist-size.html

Quote from: Daily Mail
Big brother to log your drinking habits and waist size as GPs are forced to hand over confidential records

* Data includes weight, cholesterol, BMI, family health history and pulse rate
* Doctors will be forced to reveal alcohol consumption and smoking status
* Privacy campaigners described it as 'biggest data grab in NHS history'
* Part of new Health Service programme called Everyone Counts
* Officials insisted data will be anonymous and deleted after analysis

In a briefing for GPs, health chiefs admit that ‘patient identifiable components’ will be demanded, including post code and date of birth.

NHS officials insist the information centre will be a ‘safe haven’ for personal data, which will be deleted soon after it is received.

The information will be used to analyse demand for services and improve treatment.

But a document outlining the scheme even raises the prospect of clinical data being passed on or sold to third parties.

Before the election the Tories condemned the creation of huge databases – including the controversial NHS IT project – and insisted it would roll back ‘Labour’s database state’.

But last month, in the first sign of a dramatic shift away from this position, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he wanted millions of private medical records to be stored and shared between hospitals, GPs, care homes and even local councils. He sold the programme as part of plans for a ‘paperless NHS’ by 2018 and claimed ‘thousands of lives’ would be saved.

Haven't we been here before?

Is the mail being unnecessarily alarmist or is this really another case of "same sh*t, different coloured rosette?

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
It's not just health records:

Dear Justin

I am sure you are aware that the Home Office wishes to ‘monitor’ all forms of communication. It attempts to justify this intrusion by citing National Security, Organised crime and Terrorism, the key buzz words used by those for whom the real argument has been lost.

While Parliament has not agreed and approved a Bill which would allow such ‘monitoring’ it appears that the Home Office has spent close to £500millions on developing the programmes in anticipation of Members acquiescing to the notion of a ‘snoopers charter’.

In opposition, many Conservative Members of Parliament were adamantly opposed to any extension of the powers of the State to snoop or hold personal data. We have evidenced the fall of a number of police States which practised such dark arts, and at their fall Members on both sides of the House proudly proclaimed that such evils would never be part of the British way of life. How untrue those sentiments would appear to be as Members sleepwalk to a position where the Stasi of East Germany may well be the Metropolitan Police of today.

I hope you will be vigilant on behalf of the people of Swindon to ensure that such schemes as are being worked on by the Home Office never ever see the light of day.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
I hope you will be vigilant on behalf of the people of Swindon to ensure that such schemes as are being worked on by the Home Office never ever see the light of day.

Did you get a reply?

It's good to know that even if we disagree about many other areas of political debate, I think we're agreed on this one  :)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
Did you get a reply?

Not yet, but when i do I will post it on TS

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
Did you get a reply?

Not yet, but when i do I will post it on TS

:clap: please do share the reply with all of us.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
I am really beginning to despise some 'Parliamentarians' and it appears that the old adage: 'It doesn't matter who you vote for, the Government always wins' has more than a solitary grain of truth in it.

What is it about 'modern' politicians that they are so intent on repeating the same psychological, sociological, ethical and moral mistakes made by almost every other oppressive, authoritarian and failed regime?

I reckon an enforced 6 month tour of residential living within an oppressive regime would open their eyes, minds and their bowels.  Maybe they'd think again....or perhaps they'd learn 'better' and more direct methods and carry on regardless.

New Labour proved they didn't trust the population and sought to impose more controls and restrictions on it than any other government, at any time since the second world war.  Now the Coalition partners have proved that they can't be trusted either which makes the words of Lord David Stoddard ring loud in my ears.  At the 'Whose Identity Is It Anyway' meeting he told a packed Pilgrim Centre audience that it should be "Very afraid of the government".

He was right then and he's still right now.

Brandysnap

Everyone counts the mind boggles at the spoonerisms in its name.

Offline Muggins

They don't have to go through GP's to get that info all they need is access to Supermarket/other chop check out electronics, your bank accounts and data about your household. i.e. if they had enough people - which they haven't because they keep making people redundant, they could match them up and have a pretty good pic of all out habits.

Is this the bit of legislation that means doctors anywhere would have access to our medical records where ever we were when we needed them?

If it is, why hasn't it already been done, it's long enough since they announced it.

Mind you I would put nothing past this evil lot, look what they are doing elsewhere.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
They don't have to go through GP's to get that info all they need is access to Supermarket/other chop check out electronics, your bank accounts and data about your household. i.e. if they had enough people - which they haven't because they keep making people redundant, they could match them up and have a pretty good pic of all out habits.

Is this the bit of legislation that means doctors anywhere would have access to our medical records where ever we were when we needed them?

You're referring to the NHS 'Spine' - which effective snapped under the weight of an impossibly heavy I.T system.  I'm glad the Spine got spondylitis, not so chuffed that we paid £billions for it.

You're quite right about club cards, loyalty cards etc and although they do store a tremendous amount of information about the purchases one individual might make, it does not necessarily follow that those purchases are directly responsible and/or related to the good/poor health of the individual.

The driver behind this scheme is, once again, the political control of personal information to gain more political power, control and wealth to the lucky few. 

I will wager a considerable sum of money that professional lobbyists working on behalf of the insurance industry have been, and are now requesting, wheedling and bribing their way towards getting legislation introduced which will recognise what the insurance industry sees as its 'commercial right' to have access to otherwise private medical records.

When we reach that point, and we will reach that point unless the population recognises the danger and reacts appropriately, the insurance industry will then lobby for the commercial right to access other sources of related data about you, for example store loyalty cards.  Whenthat happens Pandora's box will have been well and truly opened and other industries will seek balance through the courts and it will be 'Open Season' on you and your data.

The tongue in cheek warning contained in the following Youtube clip might only be one or two elections away.  Think on that and then think of all the misinformation, broken promises and outright lies you've heard from borough Councillors and Parliamentarians alike over the last couple of years.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RNJl9EEcsoE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RNJl9EEcsoE</a>

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
I reckon an enforced 6 month tour of residential living within an oppressive regime would open their eyes, minds and their bowels.

They ain't coming round my house, gits.

On the subject of the NHS I see that some nurses reckon they are well understaffed and that they have seen examples of shite healthcare.

Well, that is a surprise, my ghast is almost as flabbered as when I learned Rod has visions.

Everyone I know that has been in the NHS machine has anegative experience to relay, and that is with my 'stop bloody whining' filter in place.

Most have have has a good end result but they did suffer needless suffering and sheer feckin incompetence along the way. Bruv's kidney infection in a quarantined hospital being the most recent followed up by a colleague's daughter's lost paperwork progressing a very important scan.

Still, musn't grumble.

The fact is you and I will be told we all drink too much and are bloaters with the implied message that's why we haven't been treated yet, the treatment hasn't worked or we got ill in the first place.

I'm off for a fag and a beer and to douse me dinner in more lard.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

Geoff: You're referring to the NHS 'Spine' - which effective snapped under the weight of an impossibly heavy I.T system.

And there's them telling us it's under the weight of impossibly heavy people!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)