Author Topic: Snow & rubbish bus service  (Read 2506 times)

Offline mikepowell74

• Hello !
Snow & rubbish bus service
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
At the merest sign of snow, Thamesdown Transport and Stagecoach call off bus services.  Bus services in the town operate on main roads which are clear of snow.

Lazy bus drivers preferring to stay in the canteen drinking tea & reading tabloids?

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
Re: Snow & rubbish bus service
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
Welcome to TS Mike I believe the bus service was adequate to get people to and from work. I think good on em I would not want to drive a bus packed with people on packed snow  :santa_undecided:
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
At the merest sign of snow, Thamesdown Transport and Stagecoach call off bus services.  Bus services in the town operate on main roads which are clear of snow.

Lazy bus drivers preferring to stay in the canteen drinking tea & reading tabloids?

Seem rather keen to blame 'lazy' bus drivers.... have you any evidence that the calling off of the bus service was down to excessive tea drinking and a questionable work ethic of the bus driver? :popcorn:
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:05:03 PM »
See the thread I started on Friday about this.

I very much doubt that it was the bus drivers who decided to suspend the services, he decision would have been made by someone fairly high up in Thamesdown Transport. Although if several drivers had radioed in that their bus was sliding around couldn't get traction on the road, then I imagine it would have concentrated their mind somewhat.

I think they did the right thing, they got me to work, they got me home again on a slightly re-routed service which avoided one of the worst spots (but still had a slightly scary slidy moment), they kept us updated on their web site with which services were running and when and where (and still are), and as far as I know nobody got hurt.

I think we'd be better off asking why the roads were in that state in the first place. I think either the roads hadn't been gritted, or they had but the grit was ineffectual.

I would not want to drive a bus packed with people on packed snow  :santa_undecided:

:agreed:
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
And I don't want to be walking on the path next to a bus of full of people slithering around on the ice!   :santa_cheesy:

I grumbled about them being cut, but only because Mr Muggins had to walk back from West Swindon after dropping his car off for repair and having to get back there again later, exactly how many miles is Fish Brothers to the Station bus stop and then, back a bit, up the canal to Ferndale Rec - Northern Road, Beech Ave to Whitworth Road, Broadway, through Greenmeadow across the fields and the last bit a 80 ft climb?  Luckily he saw sense and got a taxi to go and pick it back up.

Gritting, thats the thing to grumble about.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline mikepowell74

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 06:21:18 PM »
@Mickraker: thank you for your welcome. I guess you must be a moderator chap. I will try to be fair, balanced and try to suffer fools gladly :)

On the subject of bus drivers, the Portuguese and Nepalese ones get the nod over the indigenous one. IMHO.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
@Mickraker: thank you for your welcome. I guess you must be a moderator chap. I will try to be fair, balanced and try to suffer fools gladly :)

TS doesn't have any moderators as such, just a bunch of members with various opinions on various subjects, who are free to share their opinions with everyone else who reads these pages. You don't need to be fair or balanced, just as long as you're prepared to defend what you say when people with a different opinion post something to the contrary. And in the process we all learn a bit more  :santa_smiley:

And I don't think most of us suffer fools gladly.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)