Author Topic: SBC losing money on its car parks  (Read 9044 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: SBC losing money on its car parks
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 06:37:07 PM »
And again after several more trips to Town over the past month I have never seen more than two cars on the third floor, a few more on the second and the rest empty in the car-park adjacent to the Wyvern.

Draw your own conclusions but the new multi-storey car-park  looks like a shameful waste of money to me.

Exactly, and is it not significant that the savings required, being £15m, matched the cost of the new one?

Well there it is, in all its glory.

Will they place an erection of Rod, as a reminder, in the form of a statue?

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 07:12:59 AM »
After reading this thread it could be Swindon needs a new carpark like it needs a hole in its finances  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 12:06:14 PM »
I had the misfortune of visiting The Parade (John Street) car park today. I haven't been there since the Whalebridge junction was ... err ..... improved. Approaching from Manchester Road area, it is quite difficult to get to as you have to turn left at Whalebridge, do a U-turn at Halfords, left into Princes Street, right at the new lights and then circumnavigate the other car parks etc.

It occurred to me that the Whalebridge junction will similarly impede access to the new multi-storey car park. It doesn't appear  to be the best thought out plan.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Re: Re: SBC losing money on its car parks
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »
It occurred to me that the Whalebridge junction will similarly impede access to the new multi-storey car park. It doesn't appear  to be the best thought out plan.
The council's car park strategy was originally part of a wider traffic management strategy for the town centre. That included major changes to the road network, intended to discourage people from driving through the town centre rather than to the town centre. In that strategy, the siting of the new car park - and closure of some existing ones - made sense.

Unfortunately, the stalled regeneration of the town centre seems to be resulting in the car park strategy getting ahead of the traffic management strategy. If the two don't happen together, it's likely to be rather a mess.

Sent using Xparent Green Tapatalk

If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c