Author Topic: Recycling batteries  (Read 2531 times)

Offline bobm

• Hello !
Recycling batteries
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
Does anyone know if any of the high street stores in the town centre take household batteries for recycling?  I have had a look around and cannot find any.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: Recycling batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »
I think Tesco does. Failing that, I'm pretty sure the Co-op in Old Town does.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

ph1lc

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »
Virtually any store selling batteries has to offer recycling by law.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Sainsbury at Bridgemead do.

I refuse to shop at Tesco these days as they refuse to serve me unless I use the self service till
Proud to be gone

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:09:44 AM »
I refuse to shop at Tesco these days as they refuse to serve me unless I use the self service till

Eh?

Why?

I'm a self service refusenik myself.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 05:50:14 AM »
Sainsbury at Bridgemead do.

Now, Now you know it's unreasonable to buy one stamp at a time.  Buy your booze butter in bulk!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »
Yes the Tescos in town centre next to Debenhams have a batter recycling point between the checkout and exit.

Offline bobm

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »
Thanks for all the replies - I'm off to Tescos.  :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Re: Recycling batteries
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »
Yes the Tescos in town centre next to Debenhams have a batter recycling point between the checkout and exit.

I'm doing pancakes for brekkie. I doubt there will be any batter left over but thanks for the tip :)

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:55:40 PM »
I'm doing pancakes for brekkie.

You need to watch substantially less American TV.

Pancakes for feckin breakfast. Sweet Jesus we'll be calling you Billy Bob next.

I had a fag meself with a side order of coffee, over easy and dragged through the garden, or something.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »

Ah, no. Not a Billy Bob until I started piling bacon-so-burned-it-shatters-if-you-stick-a-fork-in-it on top of my pancakes and then pour maple syrup over all of it.

Our pancakes are strictly Anglo Saxon: Butter, lemon juice and golden syrup or sugar.  :santa_afro:

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »

I don't like those self-service checkouts very much, most that I have used seem to have some incorrect assumptions built into their design.

So you start by putting the items you want to buy on the nearside of the till and your shopping bags on the farside, where your items will be packed once you've scanned them. So I put my pannier bag on the farside in anticipation of putting my shopping into it.

Unexpected item in the bagging area

So I wait for one of the store staff to work their magic to tell the machine that my pannier bag isn't something that I'm trying to shoplift from their store without paying for it.

And then the machine notices that I'm trying to buy some wine. It can't tell how old I am, so it has to put the whole transaction on hold while it waits for one of the store staff to verify that I'm old enough to buy such a thing.

In order to make this self-scan thing work, supermarkets need to have people on hand to quickly resolve situations like these, so that I don't spend longer waiting for someone to tell the machine that it's OK than I would spend queueing for a human to scan my purchases.

Sorry if I've taken this off the original topic of battery recycling  :santa_embarassed:
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 10:14:41 PM »

Sorry if I've taken this off the original topic of battery recycling

It's all relevant, but probably a worthy topic on its own

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php/topic,9092.msg88394/topicseen.html#msg88394
Proud to be gone