Author Topic: Eric Pickles 50 point waste plan is it working effectively in Swindon?  (Read 17896 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Re: Eric Pickles 50 point waste plan is it working effectively in Swindon?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
How about paving slabs instead of tarmac?

Will sir want sensibly procured winky lights wiv 'is slabs?

Can't have a slab without winky lights, they look a bit 'slabby' otherwise. The fitting crew will of course bring their own lunch.

Will sir want the vibrating, visionary or permeable slabs by the way?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »
37. Cease funding ‘sock puppets and ‘fake charities’ We don’t do this.

Is Wifi a sock puppet?

I always thought the term "sock puppet" meant someone posting things on the www whilst pretending to be someone other than who they really are. Definitely not something a local authority should be funding.

Number 52?

Stop tarmacing over the fecking drains you're too fecking lazy to unblock. My drive has been under three inches of water for the last 3 weeks thanks to the fecking incompetence of SCS. I can't wait until it freezes over and I submit my first claim for damages. Wan*ers the lot of 'em.

Happy new year all (in case I dont'e make it through to midnight tomorrow  :santa_angry:)

A happy 2013 to you too, and to everyone else who happens to read this  :santa_smiley:

Are the drains SBC's responsibility though? I thought it was up to Thames Water to look after them. I could be wrong though.

I do seem to have encountered a number of large puddles in times of heavy rains in recent years, each of which appear to have a blocked drain under them.

And since when can anyone have a 'partnership' with an org that they employ to do part of their work. 

That's just a corporate bullsh!t word for "outsourcing". They call it "strategic partnership" where I work. And speaking of which...

25. Introduce a recruitment freeze We have a recruitment freeze in place and only critical jobs, agreed as such by Corporate Board, are being filled.

Again the sting is in the tail.

What does a corporate board do, exactly? How much does it cost? Who approves recruitment of its members? And why does it deserve capital initials?

The response from the tory group seems to be remarkably heavy on rhetoric and short on actual information.

And why are they not considering using open source software?
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
6 and 11 look very much alike  :santa_cheesy:
6. Special spending controls for approving how spending is signed off There is close monitoring of all spending through online systems and there is a robust procurement process in place with appropriate limits set for approval, including Cabinet member sign off and scrutiny at the necessary levels.

11. Stop the scope for procurement fraud We have robust contract standing orders in place for all spend and a gateway process in place for any spend over £0.5m with sign off by the Monitoring & Section 151 officers and Head of Commercial Services (responsible for Procurement).

Sign off for any spend of over £500,000, why not £50,000 £100,000 or £150,000  :santa_undecided:

My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
Maybe 'robust' now needs to be added to the Visionary and Vibrant??
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Brandysnap

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
Ho, ho, ho wait long enough Muggins, and someone somewhere could be about to let forth with a robust claim.

There is not a shred of evidence that any vanity project cost more than £0.5 million.

Big weekend
Tabernacle stones
Wifi
Fountain
Croft school pop up roof R&D

Who knows the next claim could be Forward Swindon is responsible for the station forecourt sign off .

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10126439.50_ways_the_council_could_save_money/

41. Cut mileage payments We do not currently pay at the HRMC approved rate, but will review this.

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=37944&J=1

3. Councillors’ Allowance - Mileage Allowance
The attention of the Panel was drawn to the fact that HM Revenue and
Customs had, in April 2011, increased the tax threshold for mileage allowance from
40p to 45p. The current rate for mileage in the Councillors’ Allowance Scheme was
40p. The Panel had in the past, and over many years, recommended that the
mileage rate for Councillors should be set at the Inland Revenue tax threshold figure.
Resolved - That the Cabinet and Council be recommended that the
mileage rate in the Councillors’ Allowance Scheme be increased forthwith from
40p to 45p per mile in order that it continues to reflect the HM Revenue and
Customs Tax Threshold limit and that the Councillors’ Allowance Scheme be
amended accordingly for 2011/12 and 2012/2013.

Does any body know where it states what a councillor's mileage allowance is?  Or does item "41" only apply to employees?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »
I love how TS can remain on topic of saving/wasting money, with a sprinkling of humour thrown in.

By contrast, The Adver' comments section on this topic has degenerated to bickering about judges.

Whilst observing the robust visions and vibrants, of sustainable pRodjects... Please remember how these "savings" have allowed Swindon to repeatedly "buck the trend"

There was a thread of SBC terminology.
Anyone remember what it was called ?

Must be a few words to add to it now

(since writing this, I found the topic)

Aha!
Here it is
http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php/topic,8701.msg81356.html#msg81356
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:33:42 AM by I Could Do That »
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
Yep, we have a few more terms to add :)

I have some family engagements this week, should get round to it soon though.

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline Mickraker

Eric Pickles is no penny pincher when it comes to taking the biscuit
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »
I Could do that-Buck the trend in what exactly! Is it how to spend less than Eric Pickles spent on biscuits :santa_undecided:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4718521/Eric-Pickles-biscuit-bill-rises-by-10000.html?OTC-RSS&ATTR=Politics

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2012, 05:46:10 PM »
17. Hot desking, estate rationalisation and sub-letting Our New Ways of Working initiative over the last three years has enabled us to accommodate the majority of our staff on the Civic Campus in a modern office environment that is based on flexible working and hot desking. This has enabled us to move out of Premier House (£1m a year saving) and Sanford House.

And Sanford House looks delightful with its ground floor windows all boarded up. Is yet another empty building in the town centre really a good thing? Anyone know who owns it?
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
Anyone know who owns it?

Swindon Borough Council

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
Anyone know who owns it?

Swindon Borough Council

So does this mean they'll be selling it as per 16?

16. Better land and property management We have an elected member-led asset management group which constantly reviews our assets, and we have track record of effectively disposing of surplus assets to fund essential infrastructure projects such as schools and the Central Library.

Or they could even turn it into a school, which I believe was the building's original purpose.

Brandysnap

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
I always thought the term "sock puppet" meant someone posting things on the www whilst pretending to be someone other than who they really are. Definitely not something a local authority should be funding.

Is that an online sock puppet? Is Eric Pickles referring to sock puppets like we see in real life we know it's someone with a sock on their hand doing a ventriloquist turn or in some case not. We all know it's a puppet on the end of an arm, it maybe arms length, but it's still on the end of someone's arm, being worked by them.

Who knows what  goes on inside Eric Pickles head and what he is thinking about does he think a council would act through arms length companies?  In his head he could be confused about what is a puppet company and getting mixed up over the reality of private limited companies and social enterprises with a major share owned by the council delivering services to local people.

I must sit down now my head is hurting over fathoming out what is going on in Eric Pickles head.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »

Is that an online sock puppet?

That's the meaning which came to my mind first, although...

Is Eric Pickles referring to sock puppets like we see in real life we know it's someone with a sock on their hand doing a ventriloquist turn or in some case not.

According to wikipedia, that's the primary meaning. Or at least http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet is an article about decorated foot/leg garments worn on the hand for the purposes of putting on a puppet show, while http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet) describes the www behaviour I alluded to.

We all know it's a puppet on the end of an arm, it maybe arms length, but it's still on the end of someone's arm, being worked by them.

I think that definition is probably applicable to both.

Offline Mickraker

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »

Simon that's a cracking explanation coz here was I thinking that the posts in the thread were about some wifi company or a bus company or a company that goes around emptying feckin bins. I am silly.  :santa_embarassed:

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 08:44:45 PM »

Simon that's a cracking explanation coz here was I thinking that the posts in the thread were about some wifi company or a bus company or a company that goes around emptying feckin bins. I am silly.  :santa_embarassed:

That may indeed be what was meant in the original article, certainly it fits Brandysnap's definition, although it's not a usage of the term with which I'm familiar.

So... Thamesdown Transport make some cuts to bus services....

Quote from: what I think Rod Bluh would say
Nothing to do with me guv, it's a commercial service.

Yes, the hat appears to fit.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 01:53:26 AM »
I Could do that-Buck the trend in what exactly! Is it how to spend less than Eric Pickles spent on biscuits

No no.
SBC's version of "bucking the trend" actually means "ignoring failings"

Another one for the SBC dictionary
Proud to be gone

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »
Or they could even turn it into a school, which I believe was the building's original purpose.

It was one of the finest schools in the town. Brilliant head teacher (now in his 90s) and superb staff - 'bill' Penfold, 'taffy' Evans, Ike Gradwell to name but three

Brandysnap

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »

That may indeed be what was meant in the original article, certainly it fits Brandysnap's definition, although it's not a usage of the term with which I'm familiar.

So... Thamesdown Transport make some cuts to bus services....

Quote from: what I think Rod Bluh would say
Nothing to do with me guv, it's a commercial service.

Yes, the hat appears to fit.

Only adding a wild card into the mix of discussion, because Eric Pickles is cryptic and that is at odds with his usual gruff Yorkshire forthright ways.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
Anyone know who owns it?

Swindon Borough Council

Wasn't Sanford Street School Swindons' first or something?

It's certainly connected with The Mechanics' and Swindons' cultural heritage....

It's doomed then

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9223130.School_pictures_give_glimpse_of_the_past/?ref=rss

Seems Perkins has already run his pinkies over its' future
Proud to be gone