Author Topic: How much more can the Adver put up its price before you stop reading?  (Read 12149 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: How much more can the Adver put up its price before you stop reading?
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »
'MERRY CHRISTMAS'

Indeed.

Celebrate the season of goodwill by supporting a local business, which, if it goes, will not only see a load of local people lose their jobs, but which will also knock a hole in the functioning of the Swindon community.

::)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
If it went, within a week someone would be saying "We need a local newspaper", or "Swindon, a place a town this size and no local newspaper" 

On and off all afternoon helicopters have been flying around here, close and noisy. As the usual two reasons that happens, is that someone has lost a child or someone has raided a post office somewhere more south and the villains have run this way, it's been a bit worrying. Then I find an facebook entry to tell me that Jahmene landed at Abbey Meads school, (so say to the surprise of the teachers and kids - well I hope someone knew he was coming or that could have been a messy hockey match) even more scary with all those pylons and electricity wires.   

I didn't read it in the Adver, but I bet I will tomorrow evening. No it will be there for me to read, but I won't bother.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 03:53:32 PM »
Glad to see that Cllr Jim Grant, leader of the Labour Group of Swindon Borough Councillors has published a response to the Ridgeway Farm planning decision - In the Swindon Advertiser.

Unlike most of the exaggerated & hyperbole-stuffed published by Cllr's Heenan, et al, Cllr Grant makes explanation of his, (and the entire Labour group?), position in plain English and although I find it more than just a bit irritating that it has taken Cllr Grant a week to publish a response, I am at least glad to see a response. (Shame we'll have to wait several months to find out what his opinion on Cllr 'Busy Hands' Martin is though!).

It strikes me that if Swindons Labour Councillors and supporters matched their Conservative and Lib Dem counterparts, story-by-story and letter-by-letter the claim of Tory/Lib Dem/Labour/UKIP bias would most likely never arise again.

It also occurs to me that the majority of people described as 'apathetic voters' by elected politicians are also referred to as the 'silent majority' by the same politicians when it suits them and their arguments......but we don't yet have a similar identifying term for the 'Silent Minority' of Councillors & their supporters.

Finally, a note on clarity - doubtless what I say next will upset a few people, but I think it needs to be said:

@ Des...

Has anyone presented the facts clearly and simply to an Adver journo?

Who? When?

Cabinet members at SBC, are extremely good at 'sexing up' a very straightforward policy/strategy/intention/agenda to the point where a very simple and straightforward proposition becomes confusing and difficult for the average punter to understand.  Now, please forgive me because I'm going to shout a bit.....

THIS IS ENTIRELY DELIBERATE AND INTENTIONAL 

The current administration, (that's Cllr Bluh & his Bluhligans), don't want the general public to 'understand' what they have done, are doing and intend to do, they require only docile acceptance of their actions and one element of the method they use to achieve that is to intentionally make readers of newpapers and listeners to radio programs feel that that the subject under discussion is so very complex that even experts have trouble understanding them..... and that you, (the readers/listeners), are far too dumb to understand even a tiny fraction of it.  The official message becomes: "You're all a bit dumb so trust us, the administration, to tell you what it all means....."

Adver journos, (in fact very few journos), are equipped with the resources, (time, stamina and editorial support), to genuinely investigate, understand and verify a political press release.  Often the release will have a couple of quotes added by a journalist, be adjusted slightly by a sub-editor and then appear in the paper.  Cllr Russell Hollands recent attempt to sell off Swindons stock of Council Housing is a nearly-perfect example of the above in action - the deliberate over-complication of facts, figures and 'independent' advice and analysis to achieve a desired political outcome via a dishonest, obfuscatory and deliberately confusing 'consultation' and balloting process.

Unfortunately very few Borough Councillors were able to fully understand the degree of deception which had been expertly woven into the 'Official' presentation of the Tenants Housing Ballot, and even fewer of those who did understand it were willing to risk coming to the personal attention of Cllr's Bluh and Holland by daring to point out that the Wizards of Oz were actually just a couple of Tory Councillors hiding behind a curtain of official looking Bullshit.  Lets not forget that Councillor Holland even went to the extraordinary length of engineering a council motion which, he believed, would gag opposition Councillors from exposing the process as being far from honest, impartial or supported by empirical data.

Des Moffat is one of several councillors who does do his best to turn a 'deliberately-made-complex' issue into a narrative understandable by the average person, and in doing so he regularly earns himself a place on the Bluhligan shit-list - see: Bluh Allegation Against Candidate Found To Be False?  There are other examples which we can draw from.

My reason for using Des Moffat as an example is this: Regardless of whether you agree with Des's political affiliation or politics, it's always worth considering what he says very carefully, especially when he's discussing points of process or presenting information which might appear to be technical in nature.  Regardless of the political nature of a particular subject, and regardless of whether the agenda or desired outcome has any social/financial/political merit, there are very often flaws or deliberate deceptions within that process which, when discovered or exposed ought to stop the process dead in its tracks and cause a re-think, and when it isn't stopped ALL of us should prick our ears up and take a much closer look: See Recent Example 1.

1.  SBC recently announced its intention to build a school close to Mouldon Hill Country Park.  Kareen Boyd helpfully pointed out that the proposed site was actually within Mouldon Hill Country Park.  SBC now appear to be forging ahead with plans to build a School within Mouldon Hill Country Park.

It is my belief that SBC always intended to build a school within Mouldon Hill Country Park, but indtended to do so by stealth. Now the pop-up-school is out of the box, (so to speak), they will carry on regardless and employ all the mechanisms discussed above, and many learned through previous Bluhligan finagling to do so at Mouldon Hill.

As they did with the WiFia'sco.

As they did with the Mechanics Institute.

As they did with Wichelstowe.

As they did with Coate.

As they did with Tadpole Farm.

As they are doing with Ridgeway Farm.

As they will do with Pry Farm.

As they will do with, well, I reckon you're all more than bright enough to get the idea - an administration which is unchallenged in the local media will descend into a hyper-localised form of despotism.

An administration which is unchallenged in the local media will continue to survive in local elections because readers of newspapers are more likely to pay attention to, and trust, what they read in a newspaper than what is printed on a leaflet.

An administration which is regularly challenged in the local media, and which welcomes and responds honestly to those challenges, is a healthier administration than one which doesn't, or won't.   

We have the former when we need the latter.  It is up to us to make sure that the local media not only survives, but remains healthy enough to survive regular doses of deliberate political poisoning :)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:32:53 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »
 :clap:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »

I noticed, in the Saturday edition of the Adver, an advert inviting readers to have a digital edition of the paper delivered unto your iPad or other tablet, (and presumably smart phone?) for £4.99 per month. (after downloading the appropriate Adver App one assumes - the ad was a bit hazy on that point).

To my reckoning that's just under 21p per digital copy.

And I'm paying 33p per copy delivered to my door, so, and correct me if I'm wrong, but....

...... if other readers are paying the full cover price of 45p per paper edition purchased at, for example, a newsagents.....then doesn't the large difference between the Newsagent price and the 'Direct from the Adver Price' suggest that retailers profit margins are also a consideration here?

Just to put this in perspective:

If you buy the digital edition of the Adver at 21p per copy you will save 24p per copy by not buying a paper edition at 45p from, for example Tescos local. This equals a £1.44 per week saving - and this doesn't include the petrol/shoe leather and irritation of suffering the badly designed till layout at Tescos in Shaw Village Centre  :santa_angry: 

Have the Adver delivered to your door before breakfast for 12p per copy less than buying your paper edition at, for example, Asda in West Swindon and save 72 pence per week.  (I also over-spend in the mags and fags section at Asda - it seems I cannot purchase only a paper, I'll always come out after purchasing an 'unexpected item' from the sweetie counter.

I reckon, by having the adver delivered at £2 I am saving far more than that £2 per week I now spend on the Adver by not visiting Tescos or Asda as often  :santa_afro:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
Up from 42p to 45p tonight. I'm hot exactly "hard up" but I'm seriously thinking of giving it a miss on Mondays when it's a very slim publication.
What they going to spend all that extra income on?

Ahem.... only 6 months on and....

...A letter from Gary Lawrence, editor of the Adver, dropped on my mat alongside the Adver this morning.  Gary wants Adver readers to know that the Adver must charge a fair price for the provision of relevant, quality, local journalism and the the price of the Adver is going up to 65 pence per day (from newsagents) and to 55 pence per day (direct debit delivered).

Gary goes on to say that although Direct Debit customers payments will rise to £3.25 each week, this actually represents a nett saving of 65 pence or, put another way, 6 copies of the Adver for the price of 5.

Hmmm.  I currently pay £2 each week for 6 copies of the Adver so, whichever way you look at it it will cost me an additional £1.25 each week which is a price rise of 62.5%.

If I do a like for like comparison, i.e:  purchasing the Adver at a newsagents vs having it delivered, then the difference in price makes the new home delivered price good value, but the thing is, I wouldn't buy the Adver at 65p each day from any outlet and I'm thinking of not buying it at 55p each day delivered.

For me it's not so much the price, (although I'm sure price will be a factor for some), it's about value for money and I don't think it is good value for money at the new prices.   

Also: £3.25 p/week = £13 p/month = 2 gallons of diesel = 110+ miles of motoring which is roughly 40% of my monthly commuting mileage.  I need diesel more than I need a thin, and getting thinner, daily paper.

I'll probably cancel my subscription.

Offline boothill

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
I have to admit that I stopped 'reading' the Pravdertiser a cuppla years ago and haven't used their website since I discovered just how many Adware Tracking Cookies were being downloaded onto my system ( they DO slow PCs down, I've had it proved to me several times) The real point of this post is to pass on this gem from an ex Sqn. buddy of mine who dared to visit swinetown last year.
After perusing the 'cutting edge' investigative journalism and 3rd grade spelling and grammatical errors so glaringly evident within the pages of this erstwhile 'organ' he asked me if the adver used a steam roller in their print shop, as he thought that that was the only way that they could possibly (and I quote) ' squeeze so much sh1t that thin'

aye thang you

Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »
65p  :o You're 'aving a larf ain't cha?

If some of their hacks spent a bit of time here, then followed-up some of what was written on TS and were prepared to give all of our councillors (of all flavours) the hard time the so rightfully deserve (instead of giving them a propaganda column in the paper) then I might be willing to pay 65p.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
When Geoff puts the other thread over here, you'll see why I'm still going to take it - well one of has to!  Todays Adver has a price of 45p on it.  The letter said it cost 55p and is putting it up to 65p. I think the difference is the delivery.

i.e. it's going up from 45p to 55p  but then I'm easily confused these days. 

It's worth it to me just for the puzzle page.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »
Ah, see, if you had stayed with the Adver, you would have got a better deal, it's going to be bigger, better,  stick of for Swindon more, it's coming out into your community to see what is important to you, more entertainment pages, and wider what's on,  a whole page of weddings etc. etc. more, more.

All that and the puzzle page too.

Oh! and more sport.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
Ah, see, if you had stayed with the Adver, you would have got a better deal, it's going to be bigger, better,  stick of for Swindon more, it's coming out into your community to see what is important to you, more entertainment pages, and wider what's on,  a whole page of weddings etc. etc. more, more.

All that and the puzzle page too.

Oh! and more sport.
Yup. I agree Muggins! After reading about "the future" in last night's edition I think you can count me out. Not much in the proposed changes to interest me personally. If I wanted to read a 'lifestyle' magazine I could go second bags on Mrs WM's Womans Weekly.

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »
Left a cancellation message on their answerphone on Friday when I received a letter confirming the new rates ... they are clearly so inundated that they have, as yet, not responded! :-*  Unbelievable price hike, it's the beginning of the end for it, even The Star freebie has shrunk and the delivery girl has a job posting them through the letterboxes now! :spin:

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
I haven't been around much this week to pickup the Adver. so what's the verdict on the new value for money format? Is it worth trogging around to the local shop next week to part with my hard earned cash?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »
Certainly more quantity, can't vouch for the increased quality though. 

I'm afraid I've been skimming the news in the morning, have a better (but still not good enough) look at lunchtime and doing the most of puzzle page late afternoon, still attempting to do the cryptic so go back to that several times in the evening - if I'm in the mood.

I wouldn't rely on the web page if there is something I miss or want to look at again, not all the stories covered in hard copy are repeated on the web.

Will be able to find more time to relax and read it now I've finished the filing.

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2013, 12:21:04 PM »
It's 12:17 lunchtime on Saturday - I have yet to received my newspaper, for which I pay via direct debit.  This is not the first time it hasn't turned up.  So going to cancel my subscription.