Author Topic: Budget 2013/2014 - Or: 'Where's Roddy's Chopper Falling Next?'  (Read 19166 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Budget 2013/2014 - Or: 'Where's Roddy's Chopper Falling Next?'
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
You have to remember that 'Localities' born out of 'Clusters' was very much a Rod Bluh thing - not up for discussion were the words at the time.

My opinion is that they will survive because of that, not because of any common sense approach.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline oldtowner

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »
Heaven forbid a Bluh thing gets the chop. However this adminsitration is facing a dire debt problem

This is a time for mature decision making. Lets see if he's up to it.

For the record I'm undecided as to what value localities actually add as they are still very much Council driven and councillor managed. 

What I am saying is that everything should be looked at objectively and not subjectively as in 'its my baby so its safe style.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
Oh, Oh, if only you knew...............

One thing in favour of keeping them is the very recent expense of setting them up - officer time planning, etc etc. And I would think that the constant re-organisations has added no mean sum to the debt.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline oldtowner

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2013, 10:20:11 PM »
Muggins if they dont work or add value then justification on money/ effort spent to date is not valid.

Thats equivalent to throwing good money after bad.

Having said that  given it appears to be the modus operandi of this administration then the localities  should be safe.

Again  as stated in a previous post I am undecided on their value

Offline Muggins

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
My problem is not so much the money investment in them, but the belief that they have been given too big a job to do, with not enough resources, and not a clear idea of what they need to achieve, i.e. all a bit expreimental.

They may, in the end, be our only real means of communication between 'us' and 'them'.

i.e. whilst the doers are doing, who is to be the conduit? 

But as you say, in a shrinking work force would they be a priority - of course people want to see the bin men - forgetting that someone needs to get the vehicle in apple pie order before it can go out on the road and someone to pay theri wages - so to speak.  And it is getting that desperate that Swindon won't be able to afford the emptier of the bin, let alone the wages clerk.   

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
The rumours about localities being cut appear to be true. 50% cut on localities budget announced today.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 06:55:24 AM »
The rumours about localities being cut appear to be true. 50% cut on localities budget announced today.

More orange doofer wearers leave the council, but as rowdy chopper keeps telling us year after year that  next year will be worse.
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »

A 50% cut will render them absolutely useless, they don't have enough to do the job now - another waste of money in terms of planning and visionary ideas.

PS Just not as visible a waste as water fountains and wifi.

And in terms of grey hairs trying to cope with the latest SBC crazy idea.

Brandysnap

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2013, 09:14:33 AM »
There are Parish councils, which I perceive are there to take up any slack, shucks I nearly forgot they are having to swallow a reduction to their grants.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
There are Parish councils, which I perceive are there to take up any slack, shucks I nearly forgot they are having to swallow a reduction to their grants.

What slack Brandy?  Probably the parishes, just like local community groups were doing what they were doing before Localities and will to continue to it without them. 

So long as there is a communication trail.

Brandysnap

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
Rod Bluh is as busy as Edward Scissor hands in this one.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10195708.Council_finalises_budget_proposal/

Offline blademansw

• Hello !
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
Interestingly I have been unable to actually find the overall proposed budget for 2013/14... i.e. is it 145 million, 150 million etc.

Previous years budgets no problem, as I want to see if the overall budget is going down... as we are being told with all the cuts.. or is it going up like many councils across the country, whilst they raise "fees" and "charges" etc.