Author Topic: 14/11/2012 - New Application To Build 73 Houses At Hook Street Submitted  (Read 14778 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Hook Street is back on the developers menu....

"Outline Planning Application for the erection of 73no. dwellings including approval of access and layout (Details of appearance, landscaping and scale reserved)."

See: http://195.89.201.121/PublicAccess77/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=MD86VEPT04V00&searchtype=WEEKLY

Screenshot - click to enlarge:

See also previous TS thread: Hook Street Development: Will Peeking a Chinese Duck Save Hook Street from 175 Houses?

My MP, Robert Buckland, previously said of developing land at Hook Street.... Swindon MP Robert Buckland speaks against 175 homes' project near Lydiard Park

Quote from: Robert Buckland MP
“If these plans are to be permitted, the rural character of Hook Street would change dramatically, it would no longer be a rural lane and the entrance to Lydiard Park would dramatically change, and not for the better.”

.....but since he publicly opposed the first application to build at Hook Street in April 2011 we've seen land at Croft declared 'surplus' and built on (using grant money which was supposed to address the urgent need for more school places in North Swindon), we've seen Pickards field very nearly given away in another of Rod Bluh's grand designs and the ugly spectacle of North Swindon Conservative candidates opposing the proposed development at Tadpole Farm before the 2012 local elections- they called it 'inappropriate development' - only to execute the most rapid 'U' turn I've ever seen after being successfully elected, by getting onto the Swindon Borough Council Planning committee and, wait for it....... proposing that the Tadpole Farm application be approved and gleefully voting to approve it.  Since then they have been the schemes greatest supporters.

At present, planning seems to be the new politics in Swindon.  Since the coalition government has changed the law towards a presumption of saying 'YES' to planning applications, I'm expecting to see a lot of hand-wringing from Bob Buckland and nervous political bed-wetting from Michael Dickinson.

Readers might recall that Michael was previously very vocal in his opposition to development at Hook Street:

A host of West Swindon councillors were quick to oppose the plans, with Michael Dickinson (Con, Freshbrook and Grange Park) urging as many people as possible to submit letters of concern to the PI.

Quote from: Cllr Michael Dickinson
“Sadly we are back here having to object but hopefully this time they will get the hint – the people in West Swindon do not want these houses,” he said.

“I hope everybody will be able to put their objections in again.”

I wonder how hard Michael's resolve is now, and how vocal he's prepared to be now he knows he won't have to defend his council seat in a local election until May 2014?

I think we're about to see another level and bout of contradictory and hypocritical behaviour from the local members of the councils controlling administration.

See also, my blog post on Tadpole:

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
Re: 14/11/2012 - New Application To Build 73 Houses At Hook Street Submitted
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »
Another for the list you missed the proposed building of a school at the entrance to Mouldon Hill Country park. Also didn't Cllr Dale Heenan claim West Swindon escapes plans for expansion  :-\ http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/9994351.West_Swindon_escapes_plans_for_expansion/
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Smiler

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
Yes, public open space appears to be a big plum to be plucked by the Council.  A proposal to build a school on an open space such as Mouldon Hill Country Park is scandalous but proposing to build 73 houses at Hook Street is outrageous.  To think the Tories are against inappropriate development. ;D

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Site layout image posted at http://www.swindonlink.com/news/application-for-73-houses-next-to-grange-park-swindon

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »
To think the Tories are against inappropriate development. ;D

The only inappropriate development is one where its not  worth any S106 money to prop up their failed finances.

They don't care about open space, only talking about it, After all Swindon USED to have a department to look after our parks, not anymore though. Isn't it enough of a sign of their intentions with regards to protecting it that they restructured sacked those who did?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Mickraker

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Site layout image posted at http://www.swindonlink.com/news/application-for-73-houses-next-to-grange-park-swindon

Infilling  :-\

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »

Said it would be!!

Apart from the fact that our beloved Council has invited open season to any developer who could possibly want to build anything in Swindon and not be held accountable for it afterwards. 

Tadpole Farm and Redhouse prove that and now we shall reap what we have sown.

and sadly The Labour Party have done nothing to even try to prevent it as they voted en mass for Tadpole.

But, when it is approved Hook Street will finally nail down the coffin on poor old Michael Dickinson.  Mind you he would have had his chips this year if Geoff had still been on the ticket!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

Said it would be!!

Apart from the fact that our beloved Council has invited open season to any developer who could possibly want to build anything in Swindon and not be held accountable for it afterwards. 

Tadpole Farm and Redhouse prove that and now we shall reap what we have sown.

and sadly The Labour Party have done nothing to even try to prevent it as they voted en mass for Tadpole.

But, when it is approved Hook Street will finally nail down the coffin on poor old Michael Dickinson.  Mind you he would have had his chips this year if Geoff had still been on the ticket!

It will all be down to what the Officers state.

The track history of ensuring appropriate development with the necessary infrastructure and protection of open and green space is not good.

From my experience , the planning committee would only appear to wake up if they are concerned that the developer states that the cannot afford the S106 contribution.

Otherwise.. they appear to do exactly as the officers tell them.

At this point they are not even brave enough to face the public whom their decisions will impact.

What is the point of the planning committee I wonder?

If this was Strictly Come Dancing.. would they always give a 10?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:24 PM »
What is the point of the planning committee I wonder?

On present form none whatsoever, it is a useless talking shop and nothing more.

If Rod wants to save money just do away with it

'Be gone with you for all the use you are'.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

Planning Agenda http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=5714&T=0

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=5780&x=1
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

As if we need any more houses!

Aren't Tadpole Farm and Ridgeway Farm enough?

If they aren't let's save some money and do away with any form of planning and call Swindon an open season for anyone who wants to do absolutely anything.

I hope the Planning Committee, not least of all the Labour contingent, grow some balls and show this developer the door, as they should have done with the previous one in Tadpole Farm, but I am not holding my breath!!

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
I sense disruption in your aura.

Pretty much the view I took some years ago to be honest, if you have the bucks and the contacts you can get what you want.

Public Servants my mythical arse.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !

Pretty much the view I took some years ago to be honest, if you have the bucks and the contacts you can get what you want.

Public Servants my mythical arse.

Especially if you just so happen to donate millions to the tory party as well (over £3million in 2011 so even more by now).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/hands-off-our-land/8754027/Conservatives-given-millions-by-property-developers.html

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

This does explain why Michael Dickinsons' aura was mightily disrupted by Toby Elliot during the last council meeting - Cllr Elliot will listen to officers recommendations at the next planning meeting before proposing that Michaels electoral 'sweet spot' be block paved, patio'd and executively built upon......

....at just about the same time Michael will be pushing 'vote Dickinson' leaflets through the letterboxs of families he'd led up the hill in the style of a party-political Grand Old Duke of York.

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Unfortunately, as one of the other items on the Planning Committee's agenda makes clear, until the council's Local Plan is approved by government - probably a year away - developers will be able to build almost whatever and wherever they want with impunity. Being in an area where nobody wants housing development isn't grounds for refusal if there isn't an approved policy that also states that.

If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

And afterwards they will be able to anyway - seeing as how all the planning laws are so relaxed as to be non existent.

See First community has Neighbourhood Plan...........www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21696010

Neighbourhood Plans could turn out to be the biggest waste of everyones time - ever.

http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/neighborhood-planning/
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
As government inspectors have final say on what can go in a council's local plan and a neighborhood plan can't contradict the local plan, they are indeed likely to be quite worthless.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

And he sad thing is that local volunteers will have spent oodles of time in producing the evidence, via group develpment and consultation to back up their plan.

Neighbourhood plan - serious and massive dis-engagement afterwards when they discover their plan was a waste of their time.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mickraker

Latest adver news on Hook Street  :-\ http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10278433.Outrage_as_land_is_tipped_for_housing/

Offline Muggins

Nice to see Molly is still about and giving it large.

But James Gray??