Author Topic: Trollsville  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Trollsville
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:45:30 AM »

I read this adver article: http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10039260.Bid_to_replace_pub_with_11_new_homes/?ref=mr  and then I read the readers comments below it.

I just wanted to say that I'm quite proud of the way Talkswindon members talk to each other, even when they disagree.  Give yourselves a virtual pat on each others backs :)

When I reflect on the marked difference in posting and behavioural standards between TS members and the Adver commentariat I'm sure that we've got it pretty much right on TS, particularly our methods of deliberately dampening the worst excesses of Trollism as and when it appears.

It's a shame the Adver appears to be unwilling or unable to deal with its own infestation.   I'd be quite willing to help them do it, free of charge or obligation, because the majority of decent Adver readers are prevented from publishing comments or enjoying any discussion on the Adver website by a remarkably small number of Trolls using multiple log ins.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Trollsville
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:28:47 AM »
Indeed!

The standard thought regarding the Adver comments section these days is 'nasty'. I've actually heard people say that they'd prefer NOT to feature in a story unless the comments facility is disabled.

That the editorial staff have allowed the situation to get so out of hand beggars belief. There's really unpleasant behaviour being manifested there - and a lot of comments have already overstepped merely unfair and have been downright libellous. And as you say, the fact that its the same three or four trolls indulging their cowardly bile makes it all the more sad.

I wish they'd get to grips, because its so out of control now, its really putting people off of even reading certain articles, let alone participating.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »
Another sign of how low Adver comments have sunk is that when the feature was first enabled selected comments would appear in the print version, this hasn't been the case for a long time.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:54:16 PM »
I think I need therapy, after just reading to the end of that lot!
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
No Tea Boy, they need therapy, not you.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:43:04 PM »
No Tea Boy, they need therapy, not you.

Frankly I don't think there's any medication strong enough.

I had a read through that article and it seems to be full of people accusing other people of being bobfm, people using usernames that are practically identical to those of other people and people accusing others of having multiple usernames.    :idiot2: :crazy2:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »
Lost the will to live after two.  They must be, in real life, horrible wannabees, sort of failed debaters with only one pace left to do it.  IF TS was like that I wouldn't be posting on here, and certainly would not be admitting to it if I was.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 06:35:04 AM »
IF TS was like that I wouldn't be posting on here, and certainly would not be admitting to it if I was.

They know that.

Thats why they've been here under several pseudonyms to try and make that kind of nest.

Fortunately, they both got short shrift and failed to cope with some sensible critical responses. They're happier with the easier path at The Adver
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
Just wondered

Short shrift
Meaning
To make short work of - to give little consideration to.

Origin
Shrift? Not a word you hear every day. In fact, apart from in this expression, it is now so rarely used that it's hard to think of a shrift that isn't short. The verb form, shrive, is also now an almost forgotten antique. A shrift is a penance (a prescribed penalty) imposed by a priest in a confession in order to provide absolution, often when the confessor was near to death. In the 17th century, criminals were sent to the scaffold immediately after sentencing and only had time for a 'short shrift' before being hanged.

Shakespeare was the first to write it down, in Richard III, 1594.

RATCLIFF:
Dispatch, my lord; the duke would be at dinner:
Make a short shrift; he longs to see your head.

It doesn't appear again in print until 1814, Scott's Lord of the Isles:

"Short were his shrift in that debate. If Lorn encounter'd Bruce!"

That seems an uncommonly long time to wait for a phrase that is in regular use. We can assume that, given the gap, the phrase wasn't part of the language in Shakespeare's day, or for some time afterwards, and that he coined it himself. Some sources cite it as '14th century', but neglect to offer any evidence to support that.

It didn't migrate across the Atlantic quickly either. The first citation there is from the Adams Sentinel, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, August 1841:

"The negroes were to be tried on Wednesday, and it was believed that a short shrift and a speedy doom would be awarded to the guilty."
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Never mind how many times its been written, it's still in common use, obviously Tobes uses it and so do I!

That's another meaning for it, I just gave you short shrift.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)