Author Topic: Transport User Groups - co-ordinating meeting  (Read 5028 times)

Offline grahame

• TransWilts CRP
    • TransWilts Community Rail Partnership
Transport User Groups - co-ordinating meeting
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
Paging all travel and transport user groups  ;D

We need joined up thinking in transport ... after all, it's all about getting from "A" to "D" and from "D" to "A", so the transport user groups in "A" and "D" should get together, learn from each other, and come up with coordinated inputs to the operators and local government.  And in between, the folks travelling between "B" and "C" should be very much involved to make sure that it all works for them.

And we need to look at crossmode journeys too.   Did you realise that 44% of the journeys made by train from Swindon are by people arriving at the station in a car or taxi, and 15% in a bus?

Date - Saturday, 1st December
Event - Wiltshire Link meeting of travel and transport user groups
Cost - Free - sponsored by TransWilts Community Rail Partnership
Time - from 10:15 to 14:30
Venue - The Laverton, Westbury
Details - http://www.twcrp.org.uk/link.html

Please tell your friends, colleagues, contacts, other groups - we're trying to reach as far and wide as we can, to groups we don't yet know.

IT Trainer and Hotelier ... Chamber of Commerce and Campus Board ... Rail Development Group and TransWilts CRP ... Father, husband and dog adopter ...
Never a quiet or dull moment!

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
Re: Transport User Groups - co-ordinating meeting
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
Bloody hell. How do you get there?

Offline grahame

• TransWilts CRP
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 01:04:22 AM »
Bloody hell. How do you get there?

08:55 train from Swindon station, change Bath, 10:01 into Westbury - see http://www.twcrp.org.uk/link.html - "What times?"
15:06 train back, direct TransWilts service, 15:50 into Swindon - 44 minutes.

Alternatives

Driving - 37 miles via M4 to Chippenham exit, then A350. Projected drive time - 57 minutes
Bus - 08:05 bus (route 49) to Trowbridge then 265 to Westbury, arrive 10:21 - 136 minutes

Would love to have a location that's easy for everyone - but if there was such a location, perhaps we wouldn't need to be meeting!
IT Trainer and Hotelier ... Chamber of Commerce and Campus Board ... Rail Development Group and TransWilts CRP ... Father, husband and dog adopter ...

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »
Martin, perhaps this is one for our cycling representatives?  How long is that goign to take you to pedal Simon?

I'm out, can't afford the train fair and a whole day travelling to get there and back, because we also have to add in the travel from our homes to the stations and waiting on bus stops. 

Which Grahame says, sorts of proves the need!  Very good of him to do all the homework though.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
Martin, perhaps this is one for our cycling representatives?  How long is that goign to take you to pedal Simon?

I'm not that keen a cyclist! I'd catch the train if I was going, sadly I won't be there as I'll be catching the train in the other direction to film the Campaign against Climate Change rally in London.

My fellow SCAN folks have picked up on this event though so hopefully some of them will be able to make it.

I did take a look at the web site to check out the train times and I'm slightly confused. According to transportdirect.info (fantastic site for planning journeys by public transport), it's a 22 minute walk from Westbury train station to Westbury, and a 26 minute walk from Westbury train station to the postcode of the venue. Now I've never been to Westbury and have no idea where everything is in relation to each other, but will the 8.55 train actually get people there on time?

Agreed that there's a need for this though. Swindon is well connected if you want to head east or west or north on the train, but there seem to be hardly any trains which go south. To get to anywhere else in Wiltshire other than Chippenham seems to involve going via another county. If you're going to Bassett or Avebury or Devizes or Trowbridge or Malborough then there are direct buses. Salisbury has a direct bus but only on weekdays, I went there on a Saturday on the bus last year and it was a 5 hour round trip, not very good for somewhere which is only about an hour away by car.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline grahame

• TransWilts CRP
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »
Hi ... there will be folks from quite a few places arriving on that 10:01 ... open for coffee from 10:15, lots of folks who don't know each other so good networking to start - "formal" welcome at 10:45.   If everyone walked in at 10:15 we'd be snowed under.

If you sign up on the web site, we'll send follow up emails / details of where in Westbury.  If there's anyone who can't walk from the station, we can arrange a lift.  Quite used to doing station pickups.  )))) .

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
Hi ... there will be folks from quite a few places arriving on that 10:01 ... open for coffee from 10:15, lots of folks who don't know each other so good networking to start - "formal" welcome at 10:45.   If everyone walked in at 10:15 we'd be snowed under.

If you sign up on the web site, we'll send follow up emails / details of where in Westbury.  If there's anyone who can't walk from the station, we can arrange a lift.  Quite used to doing station pickups.  )))) .

Thank you, you can consider my question about train times answered :)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
Grahame "If everyone walked in at 10:15 we'd be snowed under." 

Blimey, don't want to make a prediction like that with all this climate change going on!
But sincerely hope you have a good turnout.

Good luck up in London,  Simon.  I know I don't join in these things but with you all in spirit.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline grahame

• TransWilts CRP
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 03:10:06 PM »
Blimey, don't want to make a prediction like that with all this climate change going on!
But sincerely hope you have a good turnout.

Thanks ... looks like we'll have around 30 groups represented, covering about 20 towns.  We've got a three excellent speakers and a lot of excellent networking opportunities.   Still light on people from Swindon (and yes, I know the journey's a *%$@&()  ;D

Offline grahame

• TransWilts CRP
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:53:41 PM »
Full agenda ...

• 10:45 Formal welcome - Peter Blackburn
• 10:50 Keynote - Duncan Hames, MP
• 11:15 Delegate Intros - lead by Peter Blackburn
• 11:30 The shape of Transport in Wiltshire - Richard Gamble
• 11:45 What's coming up? TransWilts, ITT, LSTF, bus panels and more - Graham Ellis
• 12:00 Identifying areas of concern - Panel
• 12:30 Lunch and Share (A chance to meet, talk, and share)
• 13:15 Experiences of a bus operator - the technical side - Steve Petty
• 13:30 How do we want to go forward? - workshops, priorities
• 14:15 Workshop summaries
• 14:30 formal close

Really top-notch speakers - a very knowledgable local MP, Wiltshire Council's elected portfolio holder for transport, former member of Transport User's Consultative Committee, and a bus operator.   And plenty of time for us to discuss  / co-ordinate.  Should be a really effective meeting that helps us (travel and transport users) help them (the providers) know what we want and helps us learn how to tell them.

Still open for people to say "please can I come" ... the answer will be "YES" - especially from Swindon which is a bit lightly represented at present

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:34 PM »
Excluding lunch, (45 minutes), I can't quite reconcile 3 hours with the statement: 'plenty of time' Grahame.

Do the group meet virtually as well?

Posted on Talkswindon.org using the Tapatalk 2 App for Android on my Samsung Galaxy Note....

Offline grahame

• TransWilts CRP
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Excluding lunch, (45 minutes), I can't quite reconcile 3 hours with the statement: 'plenty of time' Grahame.

Do the group meet virtually as well?

Posted on Talkswindon.org using the Tapatalk 2 App for Android on my Samsung Galaxy Note....

Hi, Geoff ... It's "plenty" compared to an evening meeting, I guess  ::)

This is a first meeting, pulling groups together.   There are various ideas being floated about taking it further;  as a minimum we come up a list of user groups and other parties who attended and / or sent apologies but who are interested, and that will be published.   I'm sure there will be more but I can't pre-empt the meeting.

By the way - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention other forums on here, but there's the First Great Western Coffee Shop at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop which covers rail in Wiltshire (and the rest of the Great Western Area) ... there's an "other means of transport" board there, and we (the train passengers who run it) may be tempted to add other sections in the future

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »
How did the meeting go Grahame?

Offline grahame

• TransWilts CRP
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 07:00:23 AM »
How did the meeting go Grahame?

OOps - missed this.  We met again a couple of weekends ago - report at http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4194_TransWilts-Link-meeting-notes-from-19th-October.html - and meet again on 22nd March next year.

Of course it's much more than meetings - they're just a means to an end, then end being travel and transport co-ordination and improvement across Swindon and Wiltshire.  You can see some of the fruits this is starting to bear in the impending train service improvements from Swindon which (incidentally) will make getting to the March meeting in Westbury much easier  ;D

Also note - separate thread - Swindon station group for the TransWilts CRP (6 Nov, all welcome, 19:00, the GW, opposite the station);  you can be our eyes and ears for Swindon to help make this work.