Author Topic: Inspectors Decision: Now Overdue?  (Read 7441 times)

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Re: Inspectors Decision: Now Overdue?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:15 PM »
Hasn't Mr Cameron already stated in public that he wishes to cut back on consultation and reduce the options for appeal for the public against development?

I am no longer surprised by the duplicity of the political establishment.

A pretence at democracy on election day... for the rest of the time they do not give a fig for the public or the reality we inhibit.

Welcome to Swindon.. houses ..schools ... supermarkets... for new employment.. head for the M5, M4 or the rest..

As for Taylor Wimpey.. aren't those the bods who ran away from Wichelstowe?? 
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline The Oakhurst Avenger

• Cleaning up city hall is a busy job
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
Broadly the main reasons for approval given by planning inspector Katie Peerless are:

1. The emerging Wiltshire Core Strategy has little weight compared to the to-be-abolished Regional Spatial Strategy;

2. There is no confirmed 5 year housing supply for either Wiltshire or Swindon;

3. Waiting for the emerging Wiltshire Core Strategy is inappropriate;

4. The acknowledged highways impacts are not sufficient to justify refusal;

5. The development would not lead to coalescence between Swindon and Purton.

Regarding point 1. Isn't it interesting that SBC, and our educated councillors kept saying there was nothing we could do about Tadpole Farm because it was in the emerging core strategy for Swindon. Yet the complete opposite position has been taken by the Planning Inspector.

ORA were right all along. Tadpole was not in the adopted plan for Swindon, only in the emerging plan.

All of the above is masturbation anyway - and justification can be found for any desired outcome despite the inconsitencies with other decisions. The Government wants to build lots of houses to get it out of the shit on the economy. FACT. They are not going to let local people stand in their way of them keeping thier jobs at the next general election!
Defender of truth and justice

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »
The Government wants to build lots of houses to get it out of the shit on the economy. FACT. They are not going to let local people stand in their way of them keeping thier jobs at the next general election!

That is certainly a 'Core Strategy' which carries more weight with local Cllr's, MP's, Ministers, Prime Ministers than any other.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Aokhurst Avenger: "Methinks most developers will prefer to go direct to Secretary of State bypassing local people.
"

No, what the developers are aiming for is to go direct to the plot and start building, no stopping in between. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
Why am I not surprised?  It's pretty clear that the developers have the ear of the government and the government is very pro-development (especially in non true-blue tory areas like Swindon).  :tickedoff:

I wonder how much resistance WC and SBC really put up against this development (I suspect the latter put up more than the former)? After all WC gets the CT money (and I think extra money from government) and SBC gets the infrastructure nightmares.

The outskirts of Swindon will become the dumping ground for Wiltshire Council and I predict that once the Eastern Villages development happens Oxfordshire will be doing the same.  The residents of the villages that bare the brunt won't be listened to because their protests will be squeaks in comparison to the roar of the communities that get spared.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 03:14:16 AM »
Reindeer Man has tweeted to his followers that he'll be on BBC Radio at 7 a.m to talk about the scandalous price of reindeer Ridgeway Farm decision.

What a treat, would someone record it for our later perusal?

Posted on Talkswindon.org using the Tapatalk 2 App for Android on my Samsung Galaxy Note....

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32:07 AM »
Reindeer Man has tweeted to his followers that he'll be on BBC Radio at 7 a.m to talk about the scandalous price of reindeer Ridgeway Farm decision.

What a treat, would someone record it for our later perusal?

Posted on Talkswindon.org using the Tapatalk 2 App for Android on my Samsung Galaxy Note....

I wonder if he will be speaking ex tempore or he has a prepared brief... As yet there is no announcement of RF on the SBC 'news'.

It may well be instructive..
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »
With new government policy allowing any development to go ahead anywhere (falling back on old evidence provided in the defunct regional strategies to justify decisions and ignoring latest emerging policies in local core strategies and local plans), I now have great sympathy for local planning authorities including Swindon Council.

It is clear that all power has been taken away from local decision making with regard to planning if the Ridgeway decision is going to be the norm. What should local planning authorities do? What should councillors do? It is clear that if they had refused the Tadpole Farm development, the decision would have been overturned on appeal. It was bloody obvious that the Coate appeal would succeed too and it didn't matter what local people or the Council had decided, the government went with Redrow Homes & Persimmon Homes.

Given that the Tory party's election promise was to get rid of regional planning, give more power to people and local authorities, etc etc. who could have thought that planning decisions would be even more pro-developers with a change to a Tory government? Well I thought it would and anyone who thought otherwise is a fool.   
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 08:34:28 AM »
Given that the Tory party's election promise was to get rid of regional planning, give more power to people and local authorities, etc etc. who could have thought that planning decisions would be even more pro-developers with a change to a Tory government? Well I thought it would and anyone who thought otherwise is a fool.

I think it's pretty clear that local authorities only have powers if they make the correct decision - approving development, if they make the incorrect decision then the government will make the correct one on their behalf.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »
this might interest you all, it's on tomorrow and I'm going. I'm hoping it's about true neighbourhood plan, like we did 10 years ago, not just about built development, but I fancy it might be about just that, will keep you posted.

This is the email:

"Identifying priorities for your community / parish areas"

There will be a presentation and a number of workshops regarding the preparation of Neighbourhood Development Plans. In order for Planning Aid to understand more about the community groups / parish councils that you represent, please could you provide us with 5 priorities that you feel affect your community or parish council which could potentially be addressed through Neighbourhood Planning (for example, through the preparation of a Neighbourhood Development Plan, Neighbourhood Development Order or a Community Right to Build Order).

This is the letter, the logos have disappeared. 

Are you fit for Neighbourhood Planning?

A Seminar for Parish Councils & Community Groups, Pilgrim Centre, Swindon
Thursday 29th November 2012
_________________________________________________ _________________________
09.30 Arrival, Registration, Coffee and Networking

10.00 Welcome, Introductions & Scene-setting

10.15 Neighbourhood Planning: The Headlines & The ‘Fit’ with Plan-making & Planning in the Borough A presentation on the basics of Neighbourhood Planning (from Planning Aid) and a presentation on how it fits with the existing plan-making/planning system in your area by Officers at Swindon Borough Council

10.45 WORKSHOP 1 - Your Planning Needs & the Tools for the Job An opportunity for you to raise your own issues and discuss how they may fit with already available planning tools & with Neighbourhood Planning

11.45 Refreshment Break

12.00 The Nuts & Bolts of Neighbourhood Plans
A detailed presentation on what a Neighbourhood Plan ‘can be’, ‘can’t be’, the process and ‘how’ to do it

12.45 WORKSHOP 2 - Neighbourhood Plans – A Tool for your Local ‘Jobs’? Brief discussion relating your learning on Neighbourhood Plans, reflecting upon your own local ‘planning’ issues as discussed in Workshop 1

1.00 Lunch (& ‘Any Questions’) An opportunity for you to scribble down any burning questions not yet answered on post-it notes provided over a bite to eat

1.45 Neighbourhood Plans – Postcards from Front Runner(s) (TBC) A short postcard style presentation from Neighbourhood Planning Frontrunners/communities at different stages of plan preparation - with Q/A opportunity

2.15 WORKSHOP 3 - Are you Neighbourhood Plan Fit? A workshop to assess and score how fit your neighbourhood is to carry out a Neighbourhood Plan

3.00 What Happens Next? Where do you go from here & what help is available from Planning Aid England & others?

3.20 Evaluation of the Day A final few minutes to tell us what you thought of the day by completing our feedback form – thank you!

3.30 Thank You & Close
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Mr Grumble

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »
Well, I'm going to be unpopular this morning with the I'm against inappropriate development brigade.  It's great news that Ridgeway is going ahead (tongue-in-cheek before anyone assassinates me)!

Sheer and utter unbridled pleasure to see the bridgade of feckless Tory councillors and MPs from all over Swindon whinging about 700 houses at Ridgeway when they supported and approved 1,695 at Tadpole Farm.  Joy at hearing that reindeer man is posturing about a judicial review. 

It's great to contemplate that his incompetence at providing the five year housing supply for Swindon has been his undoing.  Pity that he can only supply 200 houses at Tadpole because of all the infrastructure deficits that the community talked about.  Pity that the political engineering of the EDV has now made him a laughing stock.

After all, reindeer man, I hear that you first recognised this danger at the end of 2009 when you were pitching to the Tory group to become the next planning guru with the support of your mate JT.  So much development has depleted the greenhopper supply in Tory land.

If you all want from a process is s.106 contributions to plug the hole in the Council coffers and only oppose development when there is none you are going to pay a price larger than money.  You sell the direction of your Town to planning inspectors carrying out instructions from on high.  Tories doing the dirty on Tories - sorry to be so happy.

This is all the fault of Tory councillors like Martin and Williams who have been playing both side of the fence.  It's such a shame they have dragged Robert Buckland into this as well. 

All that's needed now is for JT to say that he is against inappropriate development and we'll then know that Santa really lives at the North Pole.

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »

It's great to contemplate that his incompetence at providing the five year housing supply for Swindon has been his undoing. 

Based on recent building rates [around 850 houses per annum], there is a landbank for a 5 year supply of housing at Swindon.  There's planning permission for 4,500 on the Front Garden, the Northern Development isn't finished yet and then there's Coate - 890 houses and Tadpole Farm nearly 1700. That's already enough land to build around 1500 new houses a year for 5 years.

The problem is that the housing developers don't want to build houses in the present climate or they would! They just want the land-banks to sit on so that when the time is ripe and house-prices rise again, they will be at it again.

The Government must be aware of this. All this rubbish about stimulating the economy by permitting development willy-nilly is based on faulty logic. It's as mad as encouraging people to drop litter to keep the litter-pickers in employment.   
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
All this rubbish about stimulating the economy by permitting development willy-nilly is based on faulty logic.

It has nothing to do with stimulating the economy but rather securing millions in party donations from developers http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/hands-off-our-land/8754027/Conservatives-given-millions-by-property-developers.html

Offline Muggins

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
Jennyb reply 20: Hasn't Mr Cameron already stated in public that he wishes to cut back on consultation.

Is that why they are sayign that the big conversation is not a consultation?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
All this rubbish about stimulating the economy by permitting development willy-nilly is based on faulty logic.

It has nothing to do with stimulating the economy but rather securing millions in party donations from developers http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/hands-off-our-land/8754027/Conservatives-given-millions-by-property-developers.html

Here's 6 interesting questions for you*:

1. Old Town Conservative Councillor Roderick Bluh, Leader of Swindon Borough Council was entertained at a cosy House of Commons dinner, hosted and paid for by which property developer?

2. How many Swindon Councillors did he take with him?

3. How many Swindon MP's also went?

4. How many other Swindon Councillors knew he was going?

5. Swindon Borough Councillors performed an unexpected U-turn when they approved the Tadpole Farm development after previously branding it 'inappropriate' - name the developer.

6. Name one connection between Conservative MP for Crawley Henry Smith, Cllr Rod Bluh & Crest Nicolson PLC?

*I already know the answers  :wink:

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
For info.

Nick Boles, the new planning minister, argues that much more of England´s countryside should be sacrificed for building in order to solve a massive housing shortfall. [Also reported in the Independent, p.9]

Source
 Daily Telegraph

Issue date
 28 November 2012

Page

Article type
 Planning. 18 paragraphs

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »

It's great to contemplate that his incompetence at providing the five year housing supply for Swindon has been his undoing. 

Based on recent building rates [around 850 houses per annum], there is a landbank for a 5 year supply of housing at Swindon.  There's planning permission for 4,500 on the Front Garden, the Northern Development isn't finished yet and then there's Coate - 890 houses and Tadpole Farm nearly 1700. That's already enough land to build around 1500 new houses a year for 5 years.

Jean..... I think Kate Peerless, Planning Inspector, was talking about the 5 year supply for Wiltshire Council, not SBC, being met in her decision re: Ridgeway Farm

The problem is that the housing developers don't want to build houses in the present climate or they would! They just want the land-banks to sit on so that when the time is ripe and house-prices rise again, they will be at it again.

The Government must be aware of this. All this rubbish about stimulating the economy by permitting development willy-nilly is based on faulty logic. It's as mad as encouraging people to drop litter to keep the litter-pickers in employment.

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2012, 05:00:33 PM »
Two paragraphs from the Ridgeway Farm adjudication sums the mess up:

(349) Ms Peerless appears to get behind the government’s demand for more houses to be built and Taylor Wimpey’s desire to build them:

‘Nevertheless, the construction industry is seen by the Government as an important contributor to aiding growth and the Appellants’ expressed ambition to develop the land, as evidenced by their pursuing this Appeal, would further this objective. The Appellants feel confident that this scheme is deliverable and saleable, even with the likelihood that it may face competition from other sites, and they will, no doubt, have taken all such factors into account when assessing the viability of their proposals.’

This is confirmed in the very last paragraph (405) where the Inspector concludes:

‘The Appeal proposal is a major housing scheme that is deliverable, strongly promoted by the developers and suitably located. There has been no objection to it from the developers of other housing sites in the area, indicating that they do not consider that it would slow down or compete harmfully with them. It would provide a significant number of affordable units, for which there is an acknowledged need.

'I consider that these factors outweigh the policy harm as it relates to the now outdated adopted DP and the yet to be examined dCSs and indicate that planning permission should be granted for the scheme.’

Offline Bassettina

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »
Nick Boles, a Conservative minister appointed in the September reshuffle, wants to increase the amount of land built on in England by a third.

He insists that he wants to ensure the countryside is not filled with unattractive modern housing by “lazy” builders.

He says that, rather than fight all development, people have to recognise that some buildings could be more beautiful than nature itself. But his comments come as much of England and Wales has been hit by flooding, which in some parts has been made worse by planners allowing development on natural flood plains which are meant to fill with water.

Mr Boles suggests that people who oppose more development are being selfish for denying adequate space for their children and grandchildren.

“It’s my job to make the arguments to these people [those who oppose development] that if they carry on writing letters their kids are never going to get a place with a garden to bring up their grandkids.

“The built environment can be more beautiful than nature and we shouldn’t obsess about the fact that the only landscapes that are beautiful are open — sometimes buildings are better.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9707455/Government-minister-warns-We-must-develop-a-third-more-land-to-meet-housing-demand.html

Alarming political rhetoric which pushes the Minister far to the right of most Telegraph readers, who have largely opposed the governemnt's planning changes.

Boles's ideas would seem slightly less terrifying in Chipping Norton was expected to build houses at the same rate as West Swindon.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 05:40:10 PM »
Quote from the main body of the report signed by Jean Nowak on behalf of the Secretary of State

Highways issues
12.  For the reasons given in IR360-368 and summarised in the 4th bullet point at
IR399, the Secretary of State agrees with the Inspector  that there would be some
adverse highway impacts such as additional road noise, longer journey times and
pressure on existing parking availability; that these would conflict with the DP; and,
while not being sufficient alone to justify refusing planning permission on highway
safety grounds, that they are factors which weigh against the proposal (IR368).

Has Jean Nowak any idea of what it is like on the roads of West Swindon at any time of day let alone at rush hour and what effect 700 extra dwellings will have on that overcrowded infrastructure?

Our local politicians have manifestly failed to secure our interests on this issue amongst many and the sooner they are sent packing the better!!  If this doesn't remove Nick Martin and co nothing will!

and I don't see why parking should be an issue after all we are getting a £15m one we don't even need and how will be able to access it with all the traffic chaos?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group