Author Topic: Inspectors Decision: Now Overdue?  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Inspectors Decision: Now Overdue?
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:18:09 PM »
Quote from: Roger Ogle
Ridgeway Farm planning inspector decision expected 1 November - now delayed

A planning inspector was supposed to pronounce on 1 November as to whether Taylor Wimpey should be permitted to build 700 houses at Ridgeway Farm, north of Peatmoor, over Swindon’s border in Wiltshire.

However the announcement of the decision by the Secretary of State for the Environment has been delayed and there is no indication when it wil be made

The original planning application was turned down by Wiltshire Council in 2011 after concerted opposition by MPs and councillors from both authorities, community groups and over 1,000 people who signed a petition.
Taylor Wimpey’s appeal against the rejection was heard in May, arguing that they are well placed to provide new homes.

See rest of SwindonLink article here

I'm wondering if a lot of pressure has been applied to the inspector to delay the announcement, because announcing the decision on-time, (i.e, the first of November 2012), might negatively affect the chances of the Conservative candidates in both the Police & Crime Commissioner and Blunsdon & Highworth By Elections... ergo, the decision is going to be very unpopular with the public and reveal that, surprise surprise, the Ridgeway Farm development will be going ahead with enthusiastic back-room support of politicians who will still wring their hands in public.

I'm speculating of course, but..... Cllr's Faramarzi and Elliots disgustingly dishonest public examples of pre-election posturing and promise-making - which were followed by shameless and politically expedient U-turns on their former 'solid' positions on the 'inappropriate' nature of the proposed Tadpole Farm development, (they have become solid supporters and eager publicists for the development with Cllr Elliot actually becoming the proposer of a committee motion to grant planning approval for the development.....causes me to think that a political Modus Operandi has been established - using Tadpole Farm as a successful test - and residents and objectors to inappropriate developments should prepare to deal with increasingly banana-republican behaviour from our elected members.

I don't expect to be pleasantly surprised when the decision is announced, and I will be very surprised if the announcement is made before the elections on November the 15th

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
Re: Inspectors Decision: Now Overdue?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »
Ridgeway Farm is a development of 700 houses - with concerns about infrastucture, so everyone was against it - local ward councillors included.

Tadpole Farm is a development of 1700 houses - with concerns about infrastucture, but it was passed. 

Were there any Ward Councillors against Ridgeway Farm yet for Tadpole Farm?

Also why should approval of Tadpole farm affect approval of Ridgeway Farm, aren't all applications considered in isolation and on their own merits?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
Ridgeway Farm is a development of 700 houses - with concerns about infrastucture, so everyone was against it - local ward councillors included.

Tadpole Farm is a development of 1700 houses - with concerns about infrastucture, but it was passed. 

Also why should approval of Tadpole farm affect approval of Ridgeway Farm, aren't all applications considered in isolation and on their own merits?

Wasn't Cllr Martin  for TF but against RF?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

Wasn't Cllr Martin  for TF but against RF?

Yes he was Jenny but remember he is a politician!!  So not in his backyard.

Bye Bye Councillor for Shaw Garry Perkins in 2014 if it does go ahead.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
I wonder why they think that approving Tadpole Farm, will mean that Ridgeway Farm won't be approved.  Will the inspector take into account Tadpole Farm or does the inspector look at each application in isolation?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
I wonder why they think that approving Tadpole Farm, will mean that Ridgeway Farm won't be approved.  Will the inspector take into account Tadpole Farm or does the inspector look at each application in isolation?

My understanding is that Tadpole Farm is Swindon and Ridgeway Farm is Wiltshire.

I would guess that the inspectorate assesses applications based on the Council Authority( perhaps someone with definitive planning law knowledge can confirm?)

If Ridgeway Farm has been approved...then it will soon become clear what the implications of an additional 2400 homes ( 1700 TF + 700 RF) will do to the roads, schools , hospital, police, water utility etc., infrastructure.  And if there is the money to pay for any or all of this....

If this decision is being withheld until after Nov 15th it is not unreasonable to ask whether political influence is at play.
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:39:21 AM »
The Ridgeway Farm proposal is not being taken forward in the draft Wiltshire Core Strategy. Tadpole farm was promoted by Swindon Council in its draft Swindon Core Strategy. The proposed land-use plan is a significant document in the Inspector's eyes. 
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »
The Ridgeway Farm proposal is not being taken forward in the draft Wiltshire Core Strategy.

Sorry to be a bit dim... but I just wanted to be clear...

Does this mean that in order to be approved the proposal has to be in the Core Strategy?

Thanks!

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:35:08 AM »
The Ridgeway Farm proposal is not being taken forward in the draft Wiltshire Core Strategy.

Sorry to be a bit dim... but I just wanted to be clear...

Does this mean that in order to be approved the proposal has to be in the Core Strategy?

Thanks!

If it's in something like the Core Strategy it pretty much guarantees approval (like at Coate).

If it isn't it could still be approved if the developers are able to make a convincing argument (especially if it at some point in the past it had been earmarked).

About the only that might prevent development is an area being specifically listed as not for development (like the area between Coate Water and Day House Ln - but not the area to the south CW).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:32:46 AM by the gorgon »

Offline Jean

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:48:34 AM »
The draft Wiltshire strategy for development (2011 document) proposes that 37,000 new homes should be built in Wiltshire between 2006-2026 and focusses development at the major towns and larger settlements. They reckon that 17,240 houses are already accommodated in the time period and they are looking for additional land for another 19,760. Land next to Swindon is not targetted. The "Wootton Bassett and Cricklade Community Area" is the nearest area included for "growth" and it is anticipated that land for an extra 342 new homes is required over this period and about 3 hectares of employment land. Wootton Bassett is expected to accommodate this.

In the light of all this, I should be very surprised if Ridgeway Farm gets the go-ahead. If it does, it doesn't bode well for any countryside in the UK.

Core Policy 2 - Delivery strategy
In line with the settlement strategy, the delivery strategy seeks to deliver future development in the
most sustainable manner by making provision for around 175-182 hectares of new employment
land (over and above employment development which has already been built since 2006 or has
permission) and around 37,000 homes(9) in Wiltshire between 2006 and 2026. This will be delivered
in a way that maximises community benefits from development, whilst minimising environmental and
social impacts by:
phasing development to ensure that employment, and infrastructure delivery, comes forward
alongside future housing provision and begins to redress the imbalance of housing delivery against
job growth within Wiltshire
making the best use of developable land within Wiltshire to ensure a flexible and responsive
supply of land, including the re-use of previously developed land in order to support regeneration
opportunities, and limit the need for development on greenfield site
focusing new employment land to the ‘key strategic locations’ for employment growth at Salisbury
and Amesbury in the south of the county, and along the A350 corridor at Chippenham, Melksham,
Trowbridge, Westbury and Warminster
focusing new employment land and housing development to the principal settlements of
Chippenham (31.5 to 33 ha employment land and 4,000 homes), Salisbury (29 ha employment
land and 6,060 homes) and Trowbridge (30 ha employment land and 5,860 homes)
8 This distribution, outlined within the Community Area Strategies, will not be used for the purposes of monitoring and assessing a supply of
deliverable and developable housing required by Planning Policy Statement 3.
9 Of these, Wiltshire Council monitoring indicates that approximately 17,240 dwellings have already been completed or are planned for
(deliverable sites with planning permission including sites subject to completion of legal agreements or outstanding local plan allocations).
New sites will only need to be identified for approximately 19,760 dwellings across Wiltshire.
requiring development to be designed in a way that is resilient to the impacts of climate change
and by reducing emissions which cause the effects of climate change
supporting the regeneration of the central areas of the Principal Settlements of Chippenham,
Trowbridge and Salisbury
The new strategic employment land and housing provision will be delivered within the defined Housing
Market Areas (HMA’s), once they have been defined. Indicative areas are shown below on Map 4.1 -
Wiltshire key diagram (spatial strategy).
In addition to the Principal Settlements and ‘key strategic locations’ (as defined above) for employment
growth, strategic employment growth will also be appropriate at Calne, Devizes and Wootton Bassett,
to reflect their economic potential.
At least 35% of development will take place

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
Any date yet for the announcement?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »
Still no news?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »

Despite Rob Bucklands Adver storytoday - the Secretary of State has granted permission.

The TS leakline received some traffic earlier this morning about the decision which I'll post as soon as I have anonymised it. (Would have done so as soon as it arrived but was still in bed!).

Offline Jean

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:00:27 PM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10072937.Ridgeway_Farm_development_gets_the_green_light/

There is no hope for any site to be protected if this is government's new way of thinking.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »

Hat-tip to Pistol Pete from Purton for the amazing speed this was delivered to us. (I'm slightly  :embarassed: that I was asleep when it arrived - sorry Pete!)

Read it and 'enjoy' your own personal reactions to the decision. I'm thinking of moving to avoid being swamped by the various types of run-off from the now-definite development of Tadpole and Ridgeway Farms, probably Hook Street and the other farm, what's it called?......, oh yes, Pry Farm, still got that one to come.

Click thumbnail for pdf document: [the first page shows some necessary redaction]

Let's also not forget:

1. Wiltshire Council removed the 'rural buffer' round the West of Swindon. It said it wasn't going to build there, but.......

2. Rod Bluh & the ilk are very close to the Wiltshire Conservatives on Wiltshire Council, as are Bob Buckland and Justin Tomlinson to Claire Perry and James Gray....and all of them are to their party whips and government.

It's becoming easier to see how 'this' is going to work out for us, and it isn't going to clever, funny, nice or fluffy.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »
I'm not a planning geek, (no offence intended to those of us that do understand such matters to the nth degree), so does this....

"the Secretary of Stateconcludes that, although there are material considerations weighing against the proposal, these are outweighed by those in its favour. In particular, he gives significant weight to the fact that the Framework indicates that, in the absence of a 5 year housing land supply in an up-to-date, adopted DP, planning permission should be granted for the proposal. He is satisfied that the appeal site is in a sustainable location for housing development, and does not consider that there are any material considerations of sufficient weight to justify refusing planning permission."

...mean that Cllr Heenan, and those of his colleagues who also lecture the populace at length on their being 'expert' in such matters, are at least partially responsible for developments like Ridgeway Farm going ahead because the have failed, (despite all their political finagling, posturing and navel gazing), to show that Swindon has a 5 year supply of housing land in an adopted local plan?

It strikes me that the residents of East Swindon, and the Borough as a whole, would be far better served by someone who spends much less of his time tilting at windmills, airfields, Parish Councils and Reindeers arses, and far more of his time doing what he was fecking well elected to do, and certainly not flouting the laws that the rest of us manage to obey.

"Ignorance", we are told, "is no excuse for breaking the law", but 'Ignorance' was exactly the mitigation offered by this offender, and ignorance, or perhaps just plain stupidity, have been the hallmark of his political career ever since.  I'm not sure whether Cllr Heenan is an acolyte or aspirant to Cllr Bluh, but I'm sure readers will see many political and behavioural  similarities in them.

Anyhoo, political incompetence and general fuckwittery is one thing, but I tend to take it personally when the aforementioned incompetance and fuctwittage has a genuine and sustained effect on the quiet enjoyment of my own home and neighbourhood, my travel to and from work and other movements for social, domestic and pleasure purposes.  I haven't begun to think of the impact on other infrastructure although I do think the purpose behind the stealthy attempt to build a school within the Mouldon Hill Country Park is now quite plain to see.

Planning, or lack of it, really is the new politics in Swindon.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
When our council was Labour one, it was always difficult to tell who was making the decisions - officers or councillors, beleive me, I was doing a lot of the moaning at the time.   I didn't think either was thick, but they were mightily slippery as Jean will probably confirm and maybe even those Conservative councils that are in control now will agree too.  But to do things shiftily you have to know how to do it right in the first place.

The Local Plans went into several drafts and it would easily have filled an full box+ of reams of A4  with maps too and me and others wondered at the cost of doing that and then not taking any notice of it,  because they didn't, well not always anyway. Any arguments went to the Sec of State who immediately overturned anything the local people wanted, whether or not it was in the local plan. Developers got their own way.

Since the Tory's came to power, they have done a jolly good job of getting rid of the more experienced officers, mostly because they might have argued with them and probably now they don't have the staff or resources to undertake the proper consultation to write a plan.

Yeh, I know they have something, that core thingy, but who gave a damn, the developers still get their own way. 

Who is enforcing those supplementary guidances that would/could make the difference for all the stuff not going on on the actual building site?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »
Bitter disappointment at decision to allow 700 houses at Ridgeway Farm, Swindon. Photos, plans, explanation, reaction at
http://www.swindonlink.com/news/bitter-disappointment-at-700-houses-at-ridgeway-farm

Offline The Oakhurst Avenger

• Cleaning up city hall is a busy job
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
It's only going to get worse. So much for our MPs saying the new NPPF planning framework is going to put the power back into the hands of local people. It's a developers charter - plain and simple.

By the way it's going to get worse. Right now the Government has put out a consultation which closes 17 Jan 2013 relating to Clause 1 of the Growth and Infrastructure Bill. Basically the Givt is going to introduce legislation to give planning applicants the choice of submitting planning applications direct to the secretary of state, where the local planning authority is underperforming. The consultation seeks view on what measures to use to identify an authority's performance, how to identify improved performance and related measures to underpin the Planning Guarantee.

Methinks most developers will prefer to go direct to Secretary of State bypassing local people. :surrender:
Defender of truth and justice

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
Local people are, and will continue to be, bitterly disappointed by our Councillors as our lives are further blighted by the politics of the planning process as they are by the planning decisions themselves.

Remembering the disgusting way North Swindon Conservative Cllr's such as Emma Faramarzi and Toby Elliot deceived residents during their 2012 election campaigns, (claiming to genuinely object to the proposed Tadpole Farm development only to later propose that the application be approved (Cllr Elliot), then actually approve the application, (Cllr Elliot et al), at at a planning committee meeting), I think it would be fair to treat any 'outrage' from Conservative Cllr's and MP's as 'Crocodile tears'.

'Localism' ?  In this context I can't think of a better example of Oxymoronism than this decision.

Yours...

Even more disgusted with them than usual of West Swindon.