Author Topic: A school for new developments or Taw Hill instead of Tadpole Farm  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
Is the planned  new school at Mouldon Hill Country Park in the wrong place  :-\

My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Re: A school for new developments or Taw Hill instead of Tadpole Farm
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »

It depends what 'the council' is trying to achieve....

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10022275.Views_sought_on_plans_for_schools_in_the_north_of_Swindon/

includes the line...

"The land near Thamesdown Drive is council-owned farmland, and is near to but not part of Mouldon Hill Country Park".

http://www.geograph.org.uk/showmap.php?gridref=SU116879

The proposed school site is in the north east corner of the Mouldon Hill Country Park under reference 88.

I wonder what maps the 'council' are looking at?
http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=14839&J=1

It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
From the Swindon Adver article

"Following a feasibility study of seven different sites in May, the council agreed in July to take out two sites to public consultation. "

I wonder where the other five sites were, and why they selected the ones they did?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »
From the Swindon Adver article

"Following a feasibility study of seven different sites in May, the council agreed in July to take out two sites to public consultation. "

I wonder where the other five sites were, and why they selected the ones they did?

You could ask North Swindon Cllr and Lead Member for Schools, drenard@swindon.gov.uk for the evidence.

He should know if it exists. 
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
Looking at the maps - they want to build a school between a dual carriageway with a 40 mile and a railway line.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »
"Following a feasibility study of seven different sites in May, the council agreed in July to take out two sites to public consultation.

I laughed so much I think some wee came out.

'Yes, it's feckin hopeless, let's stick another wonky shed up, with a bulging protuberance, normal planning laws and site requirements suspended'.

Will it be another White Horse production?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:56:26 PM »

I think this school is to provide school places for those children already living in the Oakhurst/Taw Hill area.  Tadpole Farm is supposed to be getting it's own school.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »
I thought it has been decreed that Tadpole will only get a school after 600 houses have been built. But after the recent vote over the Moredon Bridge Development to return some S106 money to the builder how certain is the money from Tadpole Farm.  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »

I think this school is to provide school places for those children already living in the Oakhurst/Taw Hill area.  Tadpole Farm is supposed to be getting it's own school.

Haven't Crest Nicholsen given SBC £5m to build a school as a consequence of TF?

Not sure that this £5m came with any stipulations as to where it had to be built.

Can SBC build a 420 pupil primary school for £5m?

Or is that just the price of some sheds.. but no land or indoor/outdoor sports facilities or access or ground works or parking or ??? 

And... isn't it up to the federation who win the bid to set the catchment area?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 09:02:07 AM »
I thought it has been decreed that Tadpole will only get a school after 600 houses have been built. But after the recent vote over the Moredon Bridge Development to return some S106 money to the builder how certain is the money from Tadpole Farm.  :-\

I think the trigger was when 565 homes were occupied... will a crystal ball be needed to backward schedule from this ?

Is there anything that stipulates in any contract that the school must be built within TF?

Is there anything that stipulates in any contract who should build the school?