Author Topic: Hydrogen Powered Vans for Swindon Commercial Services  (Read 4190 times)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Hydrogen Powered Vans for Swindon Commercial Services
« on: October 10, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
It looks like Swindon tax-payer's money is planned to be used yet again for Research and Development. According the Forward Swindon Website, Swindon Commercial Services are going to be trialling Hydrogen powered vans.

http://www.forwardswindon.co.uk/News/Swindon-vans-to-run-on-hydrogen.aspx

The vehicles will include vans converted by Revolve Technologies, operated by Swindon Commercial Services Ltd (SCS)

Now the boys at Revolve say this of their converted Ford Transits:

Whilst the Transit vans will maintain the same load volume, the gross payload is affected because of the 250kg weight of the extra fuel tanks. 
…….
With a range of 85 miles the Ford Transit vans should……………….
…….
The future of the technology is somewhat in question given that a single van from Revolve could cost fleets £45,000 over the normal Ford Transit van price.
……

http://www.vansdirect.co.uk/vansdirect-news/van-news/hydrogen-ford-transit-vans

Discuss

What's it all about?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
Re: Hydrogen Powered Vans for Swindon Commercial Services
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
Is it that the vans will be able to carry less material?

250kg is equivalent to 10 bags of sand/cement.

Is it

Swindon Borough Clownschool strikes again  :crazy2:
Proud to be gone

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:14:38 PM »
A long time ago when SCS were thamesdown contractors they bought a lot of new vans that ran on a petrol engine but with a natural gas conversion.

In the cab was a button that switched between the two. To start with the petrol engine ran and as it warmed up it swithced automatically to the gas, but if the gas didn't work you could switch back to petrol

3 points....

1.After a while the gas would never work, so rather than having cheap diesel engines (diesel = more mpg) Thamesdown contractors (now SCS) had gas guzzling petrol engined transits which cost a fortune in fuel. Savings? I think not!

2.While the gas worked it had minimal mpg. We were forever filling the damn things up. Which meant that nearly 2 times a week we were in the depot for 2 hrs (including tipping time, travelling time and the 1/2 hour it would take to get the damn tanks filled up) Add that lot up, include the man hours lost feckin about. Compare that to the simplicity of filling a transit with diesel (once a month) and you will be able to see which would be more economic.

3.Is this another Wifi/class solutions stunt? is see...

The partners will be able to use this project as a ‘shop window’ to attract potential customers in the region and beyond. We are delighted to be leading this groundbreaking initiative

now where have i heard that before?

It ain't about how powerful the van is, it's about the cost per hour it adds to the work it's involved in. What's the mileage per tankful of hydrogen? what does it cost? and what it the added cost of driving across Swindon to honda to fill up and how often?

would love to see what the QS are going to have to charge, can't really see how this will puch the price SCS charge down, It might well go up! but what the hell its only TAXPAYERS money after all

If the SUMS don't add up its just another Bluhunder and nift Pravder press release oportunity.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
Yes, they will carry 250kg less load and need refuelling every 85miles. Vibrant?
What's it all about?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
Right then, a new Ford Transit is 18k according to Henry's website.

Except this one is 73k.

The bog standard one, 18k's worth, has a payload of 764kg.

Except this one has a payload of 500kg.

The normal one has a 17.5 gallon fuel tank, and it's, optimistically good for 30 to the gallon. So, 500 miles on a tank full.

Except this one will only be going 85 miles.

So.

It costs 4 times more.

It's payload is a third less. Efficiency and utilisation buggered.

It has a range that is one fifth of the original. Efficiency buggered and time at the, sadly limited, pumps up.

And feck knows what the maintenance cost is. Let's settle for 'a lot'.

Resale value?

Would you buy it with your own money?

No need, someone else is buying it with your money.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
Found this press release.

Tad similar, or is it me?

http://www.vansdirect.co.uk/vansdirect-news/van-news/hydrogen-ford-transit-vans

S'pose it's a form of recycling.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 10:03:46 PM »
Now if these Revolve people are doing this conversion for free (one way or an other) and using the SCS contract as a form of advertising that's one thing.

However, this is SCS we're talking about.  :bash:

What's this year's panto at the Wyvern - Rod and the not so giant beanstalk?  Where Rod trots off to the market with a briefcase of our money and on the way gets sold some beans and they turn out to be actually dwarf runner beans.  >:D

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
We all know by now there are 'other' costs to using Deiseal an petrol engines and we should be looking for alternative fuels. 

But why is it that Swindon has to be the town to try it out?

Or put another way, why is it that Swindon community charge payers have to pay for trials?

Those half gas vans, was the results ever fed back to anyone, to improve it?

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:52 AM »
Muggins has the essence of it. Research and Development is an expensive part of many commercial company's operations, usually because most projects need many changes before going in to production. Often an idea just does't work and is discarded.
It is not the job of local authorities to carry out this type of work particularly when they convince themselves that they have the ultimate solution before they even start and then refuse to recognise the result of what they have done!

What's it all about?

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »
The only reason I can see for Swindon being the guinea pig town for testing these vans is because of the hydrogen filling station at Honda.  Has anyone other than the hydrogen powered cabs from London 2012 used it?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 09:55:09 AM »
I would think the best trial would be a London Cab, for obvious reasons but also I can't see astute cabbies doing it for nothing or carrying on doing it if it's not viable.  Unless of course they get paid anyway.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »

The original dual fuel story, Feburary 2003

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/archive/2003/02/28/Wiltshire+Archive/7324645.Council_fleet_is_running_on_gas/

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »
Maureen Dilley, now there's a name I haven't heard in a very long time, but goes to show that SBC are pretty useless no matter what flavour of political party is in charge.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
And times change,  Gorgon.  Those decisions then were taken in a very different financial time - and everything was about 'sustainability' - and they meant it, now it's just lip service to the word.

This might be one of those things that will take donkeys years to be able to say 'we did the right thing at the time'.

Enforcement and 'overseeing' projects might have helped, i.e. not just launching it, but keeping an eye on it too. At the end of the day it's all about good management - or otherwise.

It migth be there were some tax breaks or pump priming, just like there was for the park and rides, but no ongoing commitment to keep them open once the party in power changed.

Come to think of it, if they did save money on fuel for a while, I wonder if they forgot that and devised future budgets based on it - then it didn't happen?