Author Topic: A Small Problem With My Parsnips...  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
A Small Problem With My Parsnips...
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:12:55 AM »
 :WTF:

Pulled up some parsnips for our Sunday roast today, and found these where I expected to find 8" of pure parsnippy goodness....

Click thumbnail to enlarge:

I cut 'em down to size and Tig cooked them normally and they tasted great :) but any thoughts as to why they're a tad deformed?

I was warned that carrots might misbehave in well manured soil, but the carrots in the same soil have been splendid, stout fellows.....

I don't know what variety these parsnips were because they were donated to my plot by my M.I.L.

Offline Muggins

Re: A Small Problem With My Parsnips...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
Crikey, more frightening than one of Robs predictions - Mr Muggins said, the grounds too rich. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
Parsnips are the devil's root vegetable and beetroot is it's imp.

I've never liked the bloody things and when I cleared them from the allotment they gave me a rash.

Rich soil is probably right, mebbe too many rocks but I'm guessing your soil hasn't got many.

Otherwise it's the evil in their soul coming out.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »
MiL also says the soil's too rich so there's a consensus of opinion :)

I agree with Mart - they are evil sods, taking up a huge amount of sky with a huge amount of leaves.  If I grow 'em next year I might try them in potato bags and non-Chernobyl soil.

Oddly, the carrot bed is about 25% richer in manure and organic content but the carrots have been brilliant.

I'm sure the marrows will swarm into the now-available space left by the parsnips.  I planted the marrows very late, (more to see what would happen than with any serious intent this late in the season), but there's a couple already swelling nicely.  I never realised how much space courgettes and marrows needed until recently, or how much I would like eating courgettes.

I'm starting to think that I could do with an allotment for stuff that needs a lot of space - spuds, courgettes and marrows...and parsnips....

...oh, crikey.

I'm off to pickle some onions.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
Don't you just love the science in gardening!   Some like it rich, some like it poor, just wait until you start flower gardening.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »
how much I would like eating courgettes

Sliced and sweated in butter with some chopped mint. I like the yellow ones.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.