Author Topic: My Greenhouse Build....  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
My Greenhouse Build....
« on: September 15, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »

This morning I moved everything off the decking, table, brolley wotsit, chairs and sunlounger things....

....and this was there this evening.

Offline Muggins

Re: My Greenhouse Build....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »
Blimey, I bet your family is dead chuffed with you!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
Mebbe's try convincing everyone it's, um, a detached conservatory.

Yes, that's what it is.

Maybe move a camp bed in, just in case .......
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »
You do know it's recommended to put greenhouses on soil, don't you?  Keeps the humidity up.  Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :hippy: 

I'm going now, I do not want to be around when Mrs Reid gets in!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »

I'm guessing you're not the only one.

Look smaller in the catalogues don't they?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »
Well, it seems there's no fooling Mrs Reid afterall and the earthworks at the other end of her sunbathing patch hadn't escaped her attention :)

Still a fair bit of work to do after Mrs R, myself and Da Mellon cart the frame over to its proper base tomorrow but I figured it was easier to build it on the decking than on the base.

The eagle-eyed will notice that I've already part glazed the roof - with 4mm polycarbonate - next door have a young child with plenty of visiting friends so I thought it prudent not to have 3mm horticultural glass above my head  ;D

I've also re-used some of the patio slabs I lifted when I put the raised beds in to make an 18" retaining wall for the soil from the bank I've now levelled - this I'll top up with growing soil for an internal 8' x 2' bed on one side, slab path down the centre and gravel underneath the staging.

More piccies to follow.  Really enjoying my weekend :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »

Today went well. Sort of.

With the roof glazed Da Mellon and I starting carting the frame over to its base....

...which went well until we plonked it carefully onto the base and I heard Da Mellon snigger. It was a snigger I've heard several times during various projects and I knew he'd spotted something not quite right.  The damned greenhouse had grown during the night and was now both longer and wider than the base I'd built for it.  It turns out that I'd built the base to suite the dimensions supplied and I hadn't actually bothered to measure the frame components. 

I realised that my favourite saying of 'measure twice, cut once' had fallen flat on its arse as I discovered the greenhouse is 6" longer and 4" wider than spec and I spent an extra hour extending the base to suit.

Still, it's on the base with the roof, one end and one side fully glazed - that involved a little sliding backwards, forwards and sideways to achieve because the base is very close to the fence.  I even remembered, (with some help from Da Mellon), to fit the guttering cross & rear pipes before sliding it into its final resting place.

Total cost so far: £150'ish

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 12:28:44 PM »
I was going to make a comment about "pile driving" but I have reconsidered it, as Da Mellon might misconstrue what I say.

Looking good for next season Geoff!
What's it all about?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:14 PM »
Taking advantage of slack planning laws in my view.

I haven't even ordered mine yet, after a tricky 4x4, found one though.

I'm looking foward to next season, kitchen will be done (Please God) and I'll have stripped the plum slate and landscape fabric from the back garden so we can plant pretty stuff.

Much landscape fabric and recovered slate destined for the allotment.

It's nearly seed catalogue time, whatcha got planned for your crystal palace then?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:03 PM »
Taking advantage of slack planning laws in my view.

Merely following recent examples set by 'The Ilk', some of whom I suspect will already be pondering whether they can throw some stones, (figuratively), at my glass house  :)

It's nearly seed catalogue time, whatcha got planned for your crystal palace then?

.....erm, cucumbers, peppers, chilli's, (Mellon wants to see if he can get Naga's and Habenaro to grow in the UK), and tomatos at present, but I'm open to suggestions....

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 06:36:06 PM »
Another productive and enjoyable day working on and in my greenhouse:

Finished cleaning the glass and glazing it - I decided to cut some spare glass to size and use it instead of the metal gravel boards fitted to the other side and both ends.  I'm putting a raised bed on this [internal] side of the greenhouse so I figured that I want to get as much light in as possible and I want to be able to see what's going on at ground level from without.

I also started work on the steps and have pretty much finished the water butt stand.  I may add a couple of inches of height to the butt stand.  The paving slabs (as steps) are temporary, I'm intending to replace those with decking.  I have yet to add the 3rd (and lowest) step. On the right hand side of the steps will be a couple of (small) integral beds.  I'm intending to grow some 'erbs in 'em.

Overall I'm very pleased with how it's going and how it's looking.....and I reckon, for a third-hand greenhouse it's looking pretty good, mind you I have spent a few hours cleaning the alloy with a gentle acid solution and a similar amount of time cleaning the glass before installing it.

Tomorrow I'll put another couple of hours in before going to work - probably levelling the internal floor at about 12" below the top of the base - this gives me a decent amount of working headroom.....and that will be all I have time for until next week :)

Still to do:

• Finish steps &'erb beds
  • Fit internal raised bed and fill with soil
  • level floor, fit weed barrier and cover with gravel
  • Fit 8' staging
  • Fit plumbing to water butt
  • Grow stuff

If you see any obvious cock-ups, please sing out! - I haven't done this before and welcome comments & suggestions from other glass house growers :)

Q: Is it considered snobby to refer to ones greenhouse as a glass house?  ;D

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:09 PM »
Do you envisage running over budget because of the weather?

Will you in fact be able to offer a safe environment for your seedlings?

You may reply by way of a spittle flecked rant in the Adver. I believe it is the way these things are done.

How are your constituents taking it all?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
Do you envisage running over budget because of the weather?

Will you in fact be able to offer a safe environment for your seedlings?

You may reply by way of a spittle flecked rant in the Adver. I believe it is the way these things are done.

How are your constituents taking it all?

Ah!, yes.....I see your point.  Here goes then:

Clickable thumbnail:

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
 O0  :D ;D

Another fine Vile Production! I see a media empire growing to dwarf that of that Australian bloke with the punchy Chinese wife.
What's it all about?

Offline Tig

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »

I'm guessing you're not the only one.

Look smaller in the catalogues don't they?

Lol do you guys really think things happen without my approval  :)
 I did like Mart's idea of the camp bed

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
Whoops! Forgot the equaly punchy Tig.
Hello Tig, have you enjoyed the veg from "The Vile Veg Plot" this year?
I think that the boys have done as well as can be expected.  :laugh:
What's it all about?

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
How much bow have you in your piles   >:D
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Tig

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
Whoops! Forgot the equaly punchy Tig.
Hello Tig, have you enjoyed the veg from "The Vile Veg Plot" this year?
I think that the boys have done as well as can be expected.  :laugh:

I have enjoyed the veg and I think Geoff has done well, I love being able to go pick my own veg that I have had nothing to do with, maybe this time next year I will replace my studying for veg growing.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »
One enjoyable thing about a veg plot Tig, is that you can go around and pick a little piece of this and little piece of that. Put them all in a big pot with some water and a few broken up spaghetti or noodle pieces and ...Tara ... Minestrones soup.
What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »
Lol do you guys really think things happen without my approval  :)

No dear  :)