Author Topic: Wootton Bassett to Swindon cycle path  (Read 4558 times)

Offline Bassettina

• Hello !
Wootton Bassett to Swindon cycle path
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »
http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/leisureandrecreation/walkingandcycling/towncyclenetworks/royalwoottonbassetttoswindoncycleroute.htm

Wiltshire Council is looking at putting in a cycle link betwen Wootton Bassett and Swindon. At the moment, there's no connection between WB and the West Swindon cycle paths. You either brave the motorway roundabout, or negotiate the passing places on Hook Street.

The favoured option would connect WB to Lydiard Fields business park, and then on into Swindon, by way of the pedestrian bridge to the west of J16.

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/tcn-royal-wootton-bassett-option-e.pdf

Personally, I think it's a good idea!

Potential users have until the end of the month to respond.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: Wootton Bassett to Swindon cycle path
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
I couldn't make head nor tail of the map, probably because most of the proposed cycle route goes through places I've never been before.

But yes, I think we need a cycle link between Bassett and W Swindon and onward to the rest of Swindon. Currently cycling between the two involves crossing the J16 roundabout (only recommended for the most confident of cyclists) or braving the country roads to Hook (national speed limit, no street lights, don't even think of trying it at night unless you're well practiced at avoiding being blinded by the headlights of oncoming cars).
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

ph1lc

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
Now that's on really good idea. It must be an absolute nightmare trying to negotiate J16 on a cycle - it's bad enough in a car.

Offline Bassettina

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »
The decision is basically over whether to take the path along the A3102 to J16 and then over J16, or across the pedestrial bridge near Spittleborough Farm. The second seems better for cyclists and car drivers alike, although it would be a bit more remote after dark.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
The decision is basically over whether to take the path along the A3102 to J16 and then over J16, or across the pedestrial bridge near Spittleborough Farm. The second seems better for cyclists and car drivers alike, although it would be a bit more remote after dark.

The J16 roundabout is going to be a serious barrier for most cyclists. I can't really see any way of making it more cycle friendly which won't cause some serious inconvenience to the motorised traffic, short of taking the bikes off the roundabount completely and onto a brand new bridge over the motorway and slip roads.

I'm not familiar with the alternative route, must go check it out.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »
Without reading all of this thread, and hoping I'm on the right side of the road and railway, what about that fancy new bridge along the Blagrove linear park, purpose built it looks to me, could that be joined to any road or other cycle route to avoid the busy roads? It can't be too far away from J16.

And is there another way, not going as far as J16? 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
Been out on my bike today. I couldn't actually reach the bridge mentioned in option E, from either side, although that does look like the best option of the 5. One thing I did find was a (not very well signposted) footpath opposite the south-western entrance to Lydiard Park, which presumably crosses the motorway at some point. I did try following it to see where it went, although it was quite an effort pushing my bike through the long grass and I gave up at the second stile.

It seems that Wilts council are focussed on providing a route to Windmill Hill rather than to Swindon generally, but seeing as SBC have recently secured a grant to upgrade the "Western Flyer" (being their new name for the route from Mead Way through Barnfield and past the Hawksword industrial estate into town), wouldn't it be nice if this footpath could be made more bike-friendly and link up with the new route, so that people could cycle from Basset, safely over the motorway, through some fields, through Lydiard Park and Shaw Ridge and on into the centre of Swindon via said Flyer?

Without reading all of this thread, and hoping I'm on the right side of the road and railway, what about that fancy new bridge along the Blagrove linear park, purpose built it looks to me, could that be joined to any road or other cycle route to avoid the busy roads? It can't be too far away from J16.

There are a couple of bridges linking the Front Garden Southern Development Area Wichelstowe with Wroughton, one carrying Mill Lane and one carrying an (as far as I know) nameless road. Neither are particularly convenient for Bassett though.

Anyway, I'd better get onto the Wilts council site and respond to their survey.

Offline Bassettina

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
This is the bridge, which was rebuilt a couple of years ago: