Author Topic: And you think WiFi was a shambles?  (Read 7745 times)

Offline Weebleman

And you think WiFi was a shambles?
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
If this isn't scare mongering, it could reduce Bluh's WiFi deal to a silver medal position in the corrupt management race!

http://recombu.com/digital/news/4g-will-wipe-out-freeview-in-19-million-homes-confirms-ed-vaizey_M10472.html

Wonder if tricky Rikki has a hand in it.  :coffee:

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: And you think WiFi was a shambles?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
This is going to be a problem, it's just they don't know really for how many!

Worst thing is I can't help but feel that the Swindon area is going to suffer.  Most people will be OK are they get their TV signals from Mendip and Oxford. Those using the relay transmitters in and around town, Seagry Court in Penhill, Chiseldon and Cirencester (which my parents apparently use to get BBC West), might have more problems.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
I agree. My mother lives in Weymouth and receives her signals from a local repeater in Wyke Regis. Half the Freeview channgels aren't available (not even ITV 2/3) and those that are seem to drop out intermittently almost daily. I talked her into getting a sat dish only last week so that she could watch the Olympics. Looks like it was a good move because I can see Weymouth being wiped out on the Freeview front if this goes ahead.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »
Worst thing is I can't help but feel that the Swindon area is going to suffer.  Most people will be OK are they get their TV signals from Mendip and Oxford. Those using the relay transmitters in and around town, Seagry Court in Penhill, Chiseldon and Cirencester (which my parents apparently use to get BBC West), might have more problems.

I've been up on my roof several times to point our aerial at the Mendip and Oxford transmitters and look at the signal strengths from each.  Winchcombe Close seems to get a slightly stronger signal from Mendip although we need, (and use), a signal amplifier to receive a half decent picture from either transmitter. 

Currently we're viewing stuff from the Mendip transmitter because we prefer to get regional news programs that include Swindon - news from the Oxford transmitter seems to be focused more on the central and southern region and rarely includes us.

I dislike the overall picture quality with digital transmission - less 'stutters' than before but still goes frequently 'blocky' and patchy with black and gray shades.  I understand that digital tv signal take up less 'room' than analogue signals, and I similarly understand the commercial rationale behind 'freeing up' large swathes of frequency to promote and enable other communications services to flourish, but.....

....I am pissed off with the notion that our new, all-singing-all-dancing-but-flawed digital television services *might* be further degraded by the very services that analogue was dumped to make way for.

Some years back we dismantled and sold the top-notch satellite system I'd put together and self installed, (because we weren't overly enthused at paying for a tv licence and putting so much money into the Murdochs pockets), but the way digital TV seems to be heading I might reconsider that choice.

Btw: Has anyone sussed out how to get BBC and ITV HD channels through freeview?  I don't think our BT vision box is HD enabled and I've had zero success tuning my pctv card into the correct frequencies.  I've trawled through various forums but only bewildered meself.....   

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »
Freesat is pretty good (you can get the boxes from places like Argos), gives you access to BBC West, has HD if you've got a compatible box/TV and the dirty digger doesn't get a penny   O0  http://www.freesat.co.uk

If BT vision doesn't support HD you'll probably need to get a Freeview HD box or TV with Freeview HD built-in.

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
Geoff

We had to buy a new DVD player and found that, as a bonus, we can now watch HD programmes on the TV. We couldn't before even though our TV had an HD receiver. 
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
Freesat is pretty good (you can get the boxes from places like Argos), gives you access to BBC West, has HD if you've got a compatible box/TV and the dirty digger doesn't get a penny   O0  http://www.freesat.co.uk

If BT vision doesn't support HD you'll probably need to get a Freeview HD box or TV with Freeview HD built-in.

Can you watch BBC Local News in HD?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »
Weebleman.

Do you think that, as a back-up, I should venture into the loft and dig out that massive brown bakelite box so that I can get Radio Luxembourg after it gets dark? They are probably still playing "The Sputniks" and "Chubby Checker". Happy Days!
What's it all about?

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »
You're welcome to borrow ours OOT- its walnut rather than bakelite but still hums as it warms up, its a but of a chase finding the frequencies-"home service" and "light programme" but it sounds interesting even if its something you wouldn't normally listen to!

We are relatively happy with our Freesat Geoff, good HD, records entire series- the new software makes it OK- it was rubbish before. We only recorded 3 HD progs and overloaded it! Now you can look forward to anything you might miss & we can record two programmes and watch a third by having 2 hard drives on there.

Totally agree that freeview reception is worse than analogue ever was.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
Weebleman.

Do you think that, as a back-up, I should venture into the loft and dig out that massive brown bakelite box so that I can get Radio Luxembourg after it gets dark? They are probably still playing "The Sputniks" and "Chubby Checker". Happy Days!

Ah! yes, I well remember picking up Horace Batchelor on my cat's whisker  ;D

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/tv/memories/snippets/snippets16.htm

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

Can you watch BBC Local News in HD?

Dunno I'm watching on an old CRT TV and don't have an HD STB :embarassed:

ph1lc

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:34:46 PM »

Btw: Has anyone sussed out how to get BBC and ITV HD channels through freeview?  I don't think our BT vision box is HD enabled and I've had zero success tuning my pctv card into the correct frequencies.  I've trawled through various forums but only bewildered meself.....

The newly launched youview box does HD pretty well - and also (if you connect it to internet) plays catch up from bbc, itv C4 and C5.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
Not sure if this helps to provide any assurance however I asked if the new 4G installation would affect freeview this is the reply I got. However the proof will be in the transmission.

“UK Broadband's 4G services will not interfere with TV and Freeview reception. 4G services will be provided in a number of spectrum bands or frequencies and there is concern that the transmission of 4G services in the 800MHz band will interfere with TV reception. Our services operate in the 3.5/3.6GHz band which does not cause any interference with TV or Freeview broadcasts.”

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 08:43:11 AM »
Got a funny feeling that even though we have HD TV's we are not watching in HD, how do you know the difference?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 09:09:04 AM »
Got a funny feeling that even though we have HD TV's we are not watching in HD, how do you know the difference?

By the channel number if you're watching channel 1-5 (on freeview) or 101-105 (on freesat) then you're watching normal TV,  as the HD versions have a different channel number.

To be honest the majority of the rest of the channels aren't HD as far as I know.

ph1lc

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
Quality of picture - BBC1 is chanel 50 on freeview.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
Still none the wiser, we've got Virgin.  It's seems a good picture to me, some of the 500 others (those that actaully have anything on them)  are a bit off, I put that down to all the old programmes they have on them.

I seem to remember reading that we had to buy an extra lead to get the best picture - we didn't.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
Muggins, you need an HDMI cable to get HD on Virgin cable. It will also improve your standard picture too due to what they call "upscaling". Well worth spending a tenner in Comet.
I've got Virgin cable here and it's very good although I'm not 100% convinced that the TIVO box will ever recommend something I really want to watch.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »
That's the one Weebs,  O0 I'll get Mr Muggins one for Christmas!  And anyhow, whatever the quality of the picture, the programmes don't change much do they?

Offline boothill

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »

It's in HD if you can accurately count the wrinkles in Nora Batty's stockings !
Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »
That's the one Weebs,  O0 I'll get Mr Muggins one for Christmas!  And anyhow, whatever the quality of the picture, the programmes don't change much do they?

I can visualise the joy on Mr. Muggins' face will be nothing short of that displayed by Jim Royle upon receiving his Sky subscription :2funny:

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
muggins, try this: go to channel 108 on your Virgin box if you get a message saying "you haven't subscribed to this channel yet" then you don't have an HD ready box, if you don't get this message all you need is the HDMI cable.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
will do Gorg, however, if I dash out and spend my tenner on that cable and I can't see an appreciable difference I will want to know why!

To be honest I think I must have some sort of sight thing that can't tell the difference. I remember the chap in VAS Resource Room waxing lyrical about laser printers and the difference they made to printing, but I'm blowed if I could tell the difference in quality or at least the difference to the stuff I produced!

I have a really old, and I must be talking 70/80 year old black and white photo, the definition of which is better than I can get now, not only can I see who the people are, but identify the plants on the rockery they are sitting on - very frustrating!