Author Topic: Shelley Street development  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Muggins

Shelley Street development
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
Noticed today in the Adver Homes supplement a site for sale in Shelley Street, only 0.2 hectares (0.49 acres) deatiled consent for 9 houses.  Area marked from above lookes klike a nice patch of wood/shrubland. Very built up area as it is. Could this be the next campaign?

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
Re: Shelley Street development
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
Well that should be interesting.

I heard about 20 years ago  that the land is so unstable in there- when they tried to build before it swallowed up a JCB, which is still in there somewhere.  :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
Stand by for pile driving then!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
I used to live in Shelley Street many years ago but not walked past there for a while.  I am assuming the development is the waste land at the top end which borders onto Dryden (?) street.

When i live there always talk about doing something with it but sensed there were some 'issues; with the land which meant development would be awkward.

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Yes COOT that's the place.

I wouldn't be surprised to find there are lots of natural springs there too- I used to live in William Street just down the road and there was so much marestail ( only grows in watery areas) I could have made a fortune harvesting it .

You could put a willow or hazel  branch in the ground and it would strike immediately. It looked dry but there were so many underground streams and the houses were often very damp.

Should be a good spectator sport watching them deal with that too.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 06:47:57 PM »
Should be interesting trying to grow a garden there as well then, seeing as how its almost impossible to get rid of it (Mares tail) Awful stuff, it's prehistoric and seems to be made of some sort of silica.

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Yep Muggins- that's the stuff. According to the Botanical Gardens in Oxford they have been researching the use of it in the treatment of Alzheimers. I could have supplied their entire needs. Thankfully not now. Its a sure sign of lots of water.  :popcorn: