Author Topic: Why I'm boycotting the Olympics  (Read 16989 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Why I'm boycotting the Olympics
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »
In wonder if they will do a 'strictly'job on the ice skating?  Come to thgink of it, they could do a strictly on ALL events, how many "I really really want to win this" and It's the best thing I've ever done' followed by little anecdotes about their dying  granny.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline boothill

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
?
Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
In wonder if they will do a 'strictly'job on the ice skating?  Come to thgink of it, they could do a strictly on ALL events, how many "I really really want to win this" and It's the best thing I've ever done' followed by little anecdotes about their dying  granny.

They could do it like X Factor.
Put the rubbish acts on first, have a whinge that nobodys got any talent, then just as despair sets in and all the judges want to go home...... WOW, A NEW WORLD RECORD! (or a unique way to throw the shotput)
Proud to be gone

Offline boothill

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 11:39:50 PM »

They could do it like X Factor.
Put the rubbish acts on first, have a whinge that nobodys got any talent, then just as despair sets in and all the judges want to go home...... WOW, A NEW WORLD RECORD! (or a unique way to throw the shotput)

Hmmm   shotputting  Bankok style....now that WOULD pull in the punters !
Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 11:54:52 PM »
Also, to emulate X Factor, they could have people turn up who are rubbish at sport.

then the judges could tell them that they're not very good.

The non-athlete could then argue argue with Seb Coe and say things like

"all my friends say I'm a great javelin thrower",

"you're wrong Seb. Give me another chance",

"but I'm the fastest person in my street" etc
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »

'Kin A...

Dear Geoff,

McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Adidas, VISA... In the last couple of weeks we’ve taken on some of the most powerful companies in the world - and won! Together, we’ve forced them to pay their fair share of tax during the Olympics. All of the companies we targeted have now said they won’t be using the tax break open to Olympic sponsors. [1]

This campaign was something new. 38 Degrees members are used to taking on the government. But this was the first time we’ve targeted big global companies. We knocked them over one by one, gaining strength with each fresh victory.

This win is more proof that when we work together, we get results. That’s why as 38 Degrees members we choose what we campaign on together. Member polls are an important part of deciding what we should focus on next. Should we concentrate on protecting the NHS and the environment? Should we be cracking down on bankers? Perhaps you have an idea of your own?

Can you take the two minute survey and help set the direction of 38 Degrees?
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/poll-july-2012

When 38 Degrees members first saw the tax breaks for Olympic sponsors, exposed in a piece by the magazine Ethical Consumer, it may have seemed unlikely that these heavyweight multinationals could be forced to back down. [2] But we were successful because we used our power as customers.

The sponsors were hoping to get a big boost from their involvement with the Games. But our huge petition and the flood of activity on Facebook and Twitter had them worried. They could see it was safer to back down on the tax break than to risk a PR disaster with the very people who buy their products.

Fixing this particular tax dodge is a step in the right direction and a glimpse of what we can do - but there’s so much more to do. Recent reports suggest that the UK could be losing trillions of pounds in dodged tax every year. [3] Should we follow up our Olympic success by keeping the focus on tax-dodging or should we be prioritising other campaigns? Perhaps we should be concentrating on tackling climate change, stopping the privatisation of the police, or protecting the BBC. Or is there something else you’d like to suggest?

Take the quick survey and help decide what we should work on next together:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/poll-july-2012

Thanks for being involved,

David T, Robin, Belinda, Marie, James, and the 38 Degrees team

PS: Part of what scared the sponsors most was being targeted on Facebook. Protecting their public image turned out to be worth more than a tax break! Can you help make 38 Degrees even stronger by liking us on Facebook? http://facebook.com/peoplepowerchange

PPS: More good news! Earlier this week a petition signed by thousands of 38 Degrees members helped put pressure on Asda to increase the price they pay farmers for their milk. Read about the win here: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/dairy-farmer-victory

NOTES
[1] We'll work with tax experts from the Tax Justice Network to check these statements and to make sure these companies keep their word.
38 Degrees: Olympic sponsor statements https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/index.php/pages/296/

[2] Ethical Consumer: The Great Olympic Tax Swindle http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/commentanalysis/corporatewatch/thegreatolympictaxswindle.aspx

[3] The Guardian: £13tn hoard hidden from taxman by global elite http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/21/global-elite-tax-offshore-economy

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »
Came back from Reading yesterday ( needed to shop... Swindon is sadly hopeless) to be presented with a flashing mobile sign on the Junction 15 roundabout  for ' Weymouth Park and Ride'??

I guess this must be related to the Olympics....maybe our delightful Highways team figured we were close enough to Weymouth for this to make any sense???
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 08:47:26 AM »
Or more likely someone's put the sign up in the wrong place........
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:22 AM »
Don't tell them your name Pike!

The London 2012 “brand army” will monitor shops, clothing companies and food stores to clamp down on the use of select phrases which may adversely affect official sponsorship deals.

The officers, who will wear purple caps and tops to identify themselves, will be entrusted with protecting exclusive marketing deals between the Games and its multinational sponsors.

Under legislation designed for the London 2012 Olympics, they will be able to bring court action against any business breaking the strict rules, with potential punishments including fines up to £20,000.

British businesses have already been warned not to align themselves too closely with the Games in order to cash in on the tourist trade and make the most of public excitement.

The officials, experts in advertising and trade employed by the Olympic Delivery Authority, are reported to be monitoring a list of banned words, including "gold", "summer", "sponsors" and "London".

London is a banned word? Sounds rather Soviet to me, far as I am aware we are all sponsors to a greater or lesser degree, willing or otherwise, my marketing slogan is 'Bollocks' and I'm perfectly content for it to be uttered whenever you want, I haven't got a purple hat anyway.

Olympic Delivery Authority? Dear me.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 11:12:34 AM »
While I hate the idea of sponsors, particularly those flogging unhealthy products, having so much power and the "hanger on", professional committee members who make up and enforce petty rules, I try to see though all this to the games and the competitors.

To take part in an Olympic event, most competitors have trained for years, many since childhood, for hours every week. Many athletes are up early each morning training before school, college or work and then at the end of the day, when we are sitting indoors watching TV, they are out again, in all weathers, often on their own, training some more. At this time, unless they are already a previous medal winner or something, no sponsors are following them around offering them money or equipment and when they are first starting off, even their national sports organisers will not be helping in any way.

So, see the bullsh*t for what it is but remember that the competitors are dedicated people who have put everything into their few hours in London. I certainly admire them and will watch as they go out to do their best for themselves personally and for their respective countries.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »
"The officers, who will wear purple caps and tops to identify themselves, will be entrusted with protecting exclusive marketing deals between the Games and its multinational sponsors. "

Did they think to ban anyone wandering around in a purple top and cap?  I can lend you one of you need to cause mayhem in Marks and Spencers, Mart.

At present we have Mario 2008 Olympic going on the tele - ice skating to Swan Lake. I just love the way you only have to whirl the handset thingy to go into a spin. PS that would be the Winter Olympics by the way.

Well, how else would you keep cool on a hot day?

And before you all start, they walked Barbary Castle yesterday and did rock climbing (up a wall) for real last evening, and I did weight lifting carry and putting up displays and getting the dinner out of the oven.

Going down the garden now to reach, stretch and bend, filling a green bag full of cuttings. Too prickly for the compost.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Sorry Outoftowner - whilst I agree that the competitors have 'worked hard' (those not doped or sponsored by despotic regimes or in thrall to corporate sponsors) - I don;t think it excuses the industrialisation of something which used to be about the honesty of competing for the sake of competing. This is all about money now - which completely subsumes and perverts what the whole thing used to be about and what make it so unique.

I think people should actively boycott it. Its just another over-hyped excuse to flog goods now. We have enough of that via our media as it is.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Sorry Outoftowner - whilst I agree that the competitors have 'worked hard' (those not doped or sponsored by despotic regimes or in thrall to corporate sponsors) - I don;t think it excuses the industrialisation of something which used to be about the honesty of competing for the sake of competing. This is all about money now - which completely subsumes and perverts what the whole thing used to be about and what make it so unique.

I think people should actively boycott it. Its just another over-hyped excuse to flog goods now. We have enough of that via our media as it is.
I think in order to boycott anything you must be interested in it in the first place. Personally, I had any interest in athletics totally knocked out of me by a PTI named Corporal Langley (as I suspect did OutOfTowner) who relentlessly ran us up hill and down dell past the point of exhaustion several times a week for two years. So the fact that I will spend the next 18 days as far away from the tele as possible is nothing to do with a "boycott"....... you might just as well ask me to boycott sex with sheep ;)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »
Can anyone explain why the opening ceremony events were announced in French first and then English.  Since when did we become French speaking?

Please don't tell me it's because 1 billion people world wide are going to watch it, more likely it's becasue the IOC demand it

While the opening ceremony was very 'vibrant' what was the point of pretending the Queen parachuted out of a helicopter. Sorry, just didn't think it was funny or appropriate. It shows that we can laugh at ourselves - which is good BUT!!!

Still after 1 hour i had enough so it's a cup of cocoa and off to bed - goodnight.  Thank goodness the current Mrs Morgan had recorded a couple of Lewis for watching.  Great series

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
Mmmm. 3 laps round my beautiful body go!

I accept the premise that people have spent many years continuing to do P.E. long after school age, I am also perfectly relaxed that some have parlayed it into a living. I am also quite content that others of us will watch these people doing P.E. I do it myself.

I just get a bit pissy when £9,000,000,000 (and the rest I suspect) gets blown on it, when we end up with Zil lanes for Beemers to waft about in and sod the rest of you, when parts of the country are beautified in ways residents have been asking for for feckin years but councils couldn't see their way clear to actually doing it and when my mum has to stash her car feckin miles away cos some blokes are going on a bike ride over the newly repaired roads and she's otherwise under house arrest for the day.

And if I say London some knob in a Ribena disguise can fine me £20k on behalf of MaccyD's.

I get humpy because of all the things we apparently can't do, and all the shitty things we do and that all goes out the window so a load of herberts can do leisure activities on the telly and politicians can get moist at the photo opportunities.

I'm supportive of the principle but mightily peeved at the modern manifestation, maybe it's me, but I'm still peeved.

I've got lamb on Sunday.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 11:20:10 PM »
just get a bit pissy when £9,000,000,000 (and the rest I suspect) gets blown on it, when we end up with Zil lanes for Beemers to waft about in and sod the rest of you, when parts of the country are beautified in ways residents have been asking for for feckin years but councils couldn't see their way clear to actually doing it and when my mum has to stash her car feckin miles away cos some blokes are going on a bike ride over the newly repaired roads and she's otherwise under house arrest for the day.

Thanks for that Mart. You might have just explained the unexplainable!

Just before I went away on holiday three weeks ago "they" came round to sort out the three rainwater drains outside my house that have been blocked more often than not over the past 20 odd years. First a sort of tanker with a long sucky-out tube thing had a go, then when that failed they were joined by a truck with another couple "operatives" armed with big pokey sticks to provide a bit of back-up up. So they sucked and poked for an hour or more, ate their sandwiches, then gave up and went away. Few days later I noticed some painted lines around the drain grids, so I went away content in the knowledge that "they" were on the case and everything will be sorted by my return.......

Shows how naive I still am at times, because when I returned from holiday I found that the drains had be totally tarmaced over as if they were no more than pot holes, with the smoothest surface anywhere in Swindon!!!

Perhaps you could kindly add "clear the fecking drains" to your "empty the fecking bins" mantra :bash:

I look forward to next winter with some trepidation.

Off now to find me Dap bag! Enjoy your lamb :wink:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 08:38:30 AM »
Glad I'm not on my own, the only thing about the sporting event that's on a present I wanted to watch was the Opening Ceremony, and I agree with Des, some of it, it not all was 'innappropriate'. 

I had many cringing moments -Yes, it was spectacle etc. but not the best ever, but the subject matter was a bit strange and the bit with Daniel Craig and the Queen, well I can only thing she must have been pressured into that, she certainly didn't look happy.

I had heard that one of the instructions given to cameramen was make sure you don't take pics of old folk, this is about the young - fair enough - then they go and put Paul McCartney on at the end, and although Mr Bean was the best bit, he's still getting a bit dogeared too.

I didn't get the upturned plastic buckets and Mr Muggins said he thought Brunel had a taller hat - so did I!

There was a lot more we didn't get. All I can think is that they were so keen to get all sorts in they overdid it.

What were the birds on bikes all about?     

Very best bit was beofre the ceremony over on Gardener's World, where they took you to the Olympic Park
and showed the flowerbeds and thinking behind them.

Offline Terry Reynolds

• `13 years of lies lies, sleaze porn 10p fiascos, m
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
several years ago, I wrote about 4 letters to the adver, and complained about the 'drain away'  drains on the old railway bridge by coopers, the council of the day huffed and puffed for several weeks about the drains, wouldnt even admit they were only drain away outlets and not connected to anything, and then I went to work one day, and low and behold, they were all tarmaced over, similar story on the bridge over the railway line by greenbridge. you get what you pay for and vote for these days............. :wink:

Offline Bassettina

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 02:02:25 PM »
Well, I was all prepared to be cynical and disappointed, but I loved the opening ceremony. Visually impressive, funny, weird, surprising... loved the angels on bikes, loved Tim Berners-Lee, loved Brunel and the rings forged from molten iron, loved the Mary Poppins army battling Voldemort, loved the music (except for Macca at the end), loved the signing choir and particularly liked the bouncing punks and the cauldron lit from the bronze petals.

Pretty amazing all in all. And good fireworks at the end.

BBC commentary was utterly dismal and I had a cup of tea while some of the athletes came in. Didn't do too well and remembering all the capital cities of each nation, but i certainly preferred the athletes in traditional dress than the baby pink German tracksuits. The Queen looked glam but miserable for the entire thing. Not even Daniel Craig in a suit cheers her up?

And I also liked the planting shown on Gardeners World. I'd quite like a look round the site once all the egg and spoon races are done and dusted.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Ah well, there you go Bass, if you had been sat with me you could have explained some of that to me - I've never seen an angel fly, so I  assumed they were doves and I assumed they were on bikes to get the wind beneath their wings  ;D  When one took off ET style, I thought the others would follow and the flame was about to be lit! When it wasn't I couldn't figure out what it was all about.   

After the first bit - rural idyll to satanic mills, I thought it gave a dim, but also realistic, impression of what the British now appear think of their beautiful countryside. Made me feeel uncomfortable. I didn't get NHS bit, why??? (unless it was to remind our government how important it is - can't very well celebrate it at an olympic opening ceremony and then sell it off now, can they?) 

I would never have known that was Voldermort if they hadn't said and I didn't see the Mary Poppins'sss get him.  What was appropriate to the pop stars and what they sang?  Why did they sing Abide With Me? - that's a funeral Christian hymn as were the others at the start. 

And the show started at 9pm at the wish of the guy who directed it, to show the stadium up in the dark, then expected a very elderly lady and her even older husband to stop up until gone 1am.

Fireworks in general don't impress me much and since the Millennium, they have to be extra special to get me going.

The cauldron was clever but I can never see it from the angle I want to.   And the Glastonbury Tor thingy.

Actually enjoyed the teams coming in and costumes etc. mostly listened to Mr Muggins commentary on that. Agree with you on the national dress.