Author Topic: Come and discover medicinal uses of local weeds.  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Lynblythe

Come and discover medicinal uses of local weeds.
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:18:29 PM »
Come on a Herb Walk with a qualified Medical Herbalist. Discover how local weeds such as nettles, yarrow, hawthorn and dandelions are used by herbalists (see www.lynblythe.com for more details).

Saturday 8th September, 2012. 10am - 12 noon. £3 per person.

The walk will be a gentle stroll, suitable for all. Booking essential as numbers will be kept small. To book email: lyn@lynblythe.com

Meet at:

Swindon Therapy Centre
Westmead Drive
Swindon. SN5 7ER

Offline Muggins

Re: Come and discover medicinal uses of local weeds.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »
I dispute that Nettle, Yarrow, Hawthorn and Dandelions are WEEDS. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
As my Biology teacher told me at school any plant you don't want is a weed.

So as soon as you want them they ain't weeds.

>:D

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »
A plant considered undesirable, unattractive, or troublesome, especially one growing where it is not wanted, as in a garden.

I've got a black bamboo in this category. Now down to 1ft tall and ready for the spade. Have you any idea how much bamboo under the thumbnail hurts?

Don't experiment yourself, I can tell you. It bloody stings and is still a shock when you do it again shortly afterwards.

Is September a good time then? Seems a bit late but I, admittedly, know nothing of this subject.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 08:08:37 AM »
Come on Mart, I would have thought with your knowledge of all things warlike, that you would know that Bamboo was used as an instrument of torture! 

Good barrier against intruders so I'm told - how does it work on Ginger kittens?

My 'weed' of torture is that blessed Sun Spurge, looks all delicate and innocent until you get some of that sap in your eye.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline boothill

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
Any hints and tips re the cultivation and subsequent use of weed may be obtained at the 'West Swindon Horticulturalists ' club meetings, held at the Toothill Tesco Express
car park most weekends, appointment recommended.
Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline Lynblythe

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
Ooh no - September's fine. Many plants are around most of the year, but the autumn ones will be starting too - like elderberries, rosehips, burdock....plenty to ID & talk about - making syrups (hawthorn berry, rosehip); dandelion & burdock (the "real" one, not the artificial flavour!), couch grass, as Autumn is a good time for roots. Lots of other less well known ones too :-)

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:38:34 PM »
When I read the heading of this topic "Discover medicinal uses for local weeds" I instantly thought we were going to use the Lib/Dems for vivisection!!
Bobby