Author Topic: Swindon Commercial Services Expands  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Swindon Commercial Services Expands
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »
Congratulations to the taxpayers of Swindon. You are now the owners of a plumbing and heating company called  DW Dunn, courtesy of SCS.

They have used some of your money to buy this company. (I'm sure that someone will thank you all personally later.)

Swindon Commercial Services acquires DW Dunn
Construction business Swindon Commercial Services (SCS) has acquired Cirencester-based plumbing and heating business DW Dunn.
SCS is a subsidiary of Swindon Borough Council and the company said the acquisition will enhance its renewable energy offering. The terms of the deal have not been disclosed.
The deal was structured by Swindon-based law firm Withy King.
Andrew Sims, business development director at SCS, said: "Demand for sustainable and renewable energy services is set to grow over the long term particularly for domestic properties and SCS needed to expand both its capability and capacity to offer a wider range of energy related services to our clients.
"Acquiring DW Dunn enables us to reach a wider client base and self deliver a greater volume of sustainable energy and heating installations for our customers than we were previously able to do."
Alex Pyatt, from Withy King's corporate team, said: "The purchase of DW Dunn offers significant growth potential for SCS as they look to diversify into a new sector. We have enjoyed working with Andrew and his team.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/south-west/68158-swindon-commercial-services-acquires-dw-dunn/

How did this happen?

Councillor Mark Edwards referred to his support for the proposal to allow Swindon Commercial Services Ltd (SCS) until 31st December 2014 to repay the outstanding loan balance to the Council, for the reasons detailed in the report.  This deferment would allow SCS to consolidate its position, grow commercially, and fund a small acquisition.
Councillor Steve Wakefield requested further clarification on the benefits Swindon could expect from the deferral of the loan repayment.

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?AIId=23360&J=1

Revenue Budget Management 2011/12

(5) That, subject to the satisfactory completion of a due diligence process, the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader of the Council, be authorised to give shareholder consent to a proposed company acquisition by Swindon Commercial Services Ltd. (SCS), as referred to in the joint report, subject to him being satisfied as to the value for money of the acquisition.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:56:10 PM by Pig Hill Resident »

What's it all about?

Offline Weebleman

Re: Swindon Commercial Services Expands
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
Congratulations to the taxpayers of Swindon. You are now the owners of a plumbing and heating company called  DW Dunn, courtesy of SCS.

Swindon Commercial Services acquires DW Dunn
Construction business Swindon Commercial Services (SCS) has acquired Cirencester-based plumbing and heating business DW Dunn.
SCS is a subsidiary of Swindon Borough Council and the company said the acquisition will enhance its renewable energy offering. The terms of the deal have not been disclosed.
The deal was structured by Swindon-based law firm Withy King.
Andrew Sims, business development director at SCS, said: "Demand for sustainable and renewable energy services is set to grow over the long term particularly for domestic properties and SCS needed to expand both its capability and capacity to offer a wider range of energy related services to our clients.
"Acquiring DW Dunn enables us to reach a wider client base and self deliver a greater volume of sustainable energy and heating installations for our customers than we were previously able to do."

If they're really looking for a growth area let them come and look at the fecking grass and litter outside my house.

I had a relative come to visit me last week-end. He doesn't come to Swindon often. Without prompting, he described the appearance of the town as like "A dishevelled old man who hadn't shaved for a week sat in the snug in a run-down pub nursing a half pint of brown ale all evening. Not something you're really attracted to!" 

I somehow couldn't argue against the point.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:56:29 PM by Pig Hill Resident »

Offline Greengirl

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
How much did it cost?

Who was consulted as to whether this  was what we wanted done with- one assumes-  our tax payers' money?

What was the competitive process of deciding which company benefited from SCS's largesse - or is this another "investment"!?

Looks like another gamble with money other than theirs .....

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:56:59 PM by Pig Hill Resident »

George Elliot

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
If I understand this correctly SCS Ltd is no longer part of a local authority and can buy its own equipment or acquire business as it sees fit to ensure its continuing operation - profitability. How much does Swindon Borough Council pay to SCS annually to carry out the contracts it awards?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:57:21 PM by Pig Hill Resident »

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
If I understand this correctly SCS Ltd is no longer part of a local authority and can buy its own equipment or acquire business as it sees fit to ensure its continuing operation - profitability. How much does Swindon Borough Council pay to SCS annually to carry out the contracts it awards?

If SCS is no longer part of SBC why would a Very Big Cheese at SBC be funding SCS research and development  with a 3rd party directly from his very own SBC budget which is nothing to do with the subject of the R&D?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:57:47 PM by Pig Hill Resident »
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
If I understand this correctly SCS Ltd is no longer part of a local authority and can buy its own equipment or acquire business as it sees fit to ensure its continuing operation - profitability.

You don't understand it correctly.

Swindon Borough Council is the Only shareholder of Swindon Commercial Services, ergo Swindon Commercial Services is wholly owned by Swindon Borough Council, and therefore us.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:58:17 PM by Pig Hill Resident »

Offline Pig Hill Resident

• Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »
Administrator Comment Typo in the subject of this topic corrected on request from Outoftowner.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:12:08 PM »
Ah, could this be something to doing with this government funding for helping out the old folk with insulation etc.  Warm Homes or something, Borough workers have certainly been out door to dooring amd we've had visits, phone calls, forms, booklets.

Could it be that they need this to get the contracts  'in house'?  If so it's a crafty wheez, but it might be bringing in a bit of profit! Sorry - surplus.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

ph1lc

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 08:44:48 PM »
D w Dunn aren't the Contractor being promoted by SBC for their warmhomes initiative.

Offline Greengirl

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:41 PM »
This smells like WiFi 4.  ( 2 being UK Broadband , 3 being Croft /White Horse )

Our money is again being used to invest in something which may appear on the face of it to be kosher and sensible and green but due process (procurement)  isn't being followed -IMHO.

I wonder what the borough solicitor's advice was regarding this and whether decision makers chose to act on it rather than dismiss it like Mr Bluh did with WiFi 1

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »
It seems that the Cabinet Meeting held on 14 December 2011 was quite interesting.

Cllr Rod Bluh, the Leader of the Council and Chairman of Cabinet had sent his apologies so the Deputy Leader and Vice Chairman Garry Perkins assumed command.

However before the acquisition of a company by SCS was discussed, Garry left the room as he had declared a prejudicial interest. So now our two favourite people, Rod and Garry, are not involved in the decision making that follows. Well they weren't there, so they couldn't be could they?

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=4999&T=1&J=25

My bold letters.
Councillor Mark Edwards referred to his support for the proposal to allow
Swindon Commercial Services Ltd (SCS) until 31st December 2014 to repay the
outstanding loan balance to the Council, for the reasons detailed in the report. This
deferment would allow SCS to consolidate its position, grow commercially, and fund
a small acquisition.
Councillor Steve Wakefield requested further clarification on the benefits
Swindon could expect from the deferral of the loan repayment.
Councillor Edwards highlighted the benefits to both SCS and the Council,
particularly, the improved cash flow availability for SCS’s use.
Resolved – (1) That the current projected Revenue Budget Outturn, as set
out in Table 1 of the joint report, be noted.
(2) That, as a one-off allocation, £1.3m be allocated to Adult Social Care
from the Corporate Contingency budget to help mitigate the pressures highlighted in
previous Cabinet reports that had now materialised.
(3) That, the continuing risks within the Adult Social Care budget linked
mainly to continuing increases in demand for services, as set out in paragraph 3.5
of the joint report, be noted.
(4) That, to enable the Council to continue to benefit from the maximum level
of rebate as Revenue Budget income, an extension of the loan facility to Swindon
Commercial Services Ltd. (SCS), as detailed in section 4 of the joint report, be
approved.
(5) That, subject to the satisfactory completion of a due diligence process,
the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader of the Council, be authorised to
give shareholder consent to a proposed company acquisition by Swindon
Commercial Services Ltd. (SCS), as referred to in the joint report, subject to him
being satisfied as to the value for money of the acquisition.

(6) That the Revenue Budget virements, as set out in Appendix 2 to the joint
report, be approved.
(7) That the commitments against the Regeneration Reserve, as set out in
Appendix 3 to the joint report, be noted and endorsed.
(8) That Cabinet records its appreciation to all Directors and their officers for
all their hard work in managing the Council’s Budget.
(Councillor Garry Perkins, Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet
Member for Regeneration and Culture, made a personal and prejudicial declaration
of interest in respect of the above item, as he was a Council appointed Non-
Executive Director on the Board of Swindon Commercial Services (SCS) Ltd.)
The reasons for the decision and alternative options are as set out in the
report to the meeting.

I have been informed that Dave Dunn, the former owner of DW Dunn's Plumbing and Heating Company, has now taken early retirement, with his wife, at a villa in France. I'm sure that they would like me to thank you all.
What's it all about?

Kaelwilliam

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »
I hope it will bring some positive output for the nation.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
Cllr Rod Bluh, the Leader of the Council and Chairman of Cabinet had sent his apologies so the Deputy Leader and Vice Chairman Garry Perkins assumed command.

Oh feck!

Like Admiral Canaris.....
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.