Author Topic: Monitoring what's being said by who, where  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Monitoring what's being said by who, where
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:46:30 AM »
 :spin:Sister has just seen this posted on the priory vale face book site...

Toby Elliott > Priory Vale, Swindon Wednesday at 20:37

As it seems to have not been reported correctly in some quarters I shall set out what happened last night; a copy of which will be sent to BBC Wiltshire and the Swindon Advertiser.

At the Planning Committee we were presented with a report that unequivocally recommended that planning permission be approved for Tadpole Farm. Committee members were informed, in our pre-meeting briefing, that if the decision was rejected OR deferred then Crest Nicholson would DEFINITELY take the decision to the Planning Inspectorate with a 99% chance of winning. If this appeal was won, the amount of money available to the community would decrease and the planning control taken out of the council’s hands.

This does not mean we could not have refused or deferred, that is up to the Committee, but we have seen first-hand what happens in this instance. Many parts of Priory Vale are testament to what happens when decisions are taken by the Planning Inspectorate rather than the council. Tight roads, lack of parking, a comparatively small amount of green and open spaces plus a lack of amenities.

As outlined last night, I continue to have major reservations about this development. Therefore, I proposed that Crest Nicholson have 3 months to address the issues that have been put forward by residents and councillors, including traffic and school places, if they do not so within the 3 months then planning permission is REMOVED. This was voted through unanimously.

If planning permission is removed, Crest Nicholson is unlikely to challenge this to the Planning Inspectorate as permission had been granted and only removed due to their own failings. Even if they did take it to the inspectorate, Swindon Borough Council would stand a good chance of winning on this basis.

I would now urge all residents of Priory Vale who have concerns to contact their ward councillors, whether that is Priory Vale or St Andrews wards, or Cllr Colin Lovell as the Chair of Planning. It is these councillors (which includes me) who will be putting your concerns forward in the negotiations, in conjunction with the officers.

We are aware of the many concerns people have with this development, so what we need from  residents is their pragmatic thoughts and solutions for fixing these. For instance, we believe that the traffic load on Oakhurst Way will be significant and detrimental to residents; the current plans to alleviate this with two crossings are insufficient at best. However, what we need to hear from you is suggestions of how YOU would like to see this alleviated. ALL suggestions will be put forward with our own during the negotiations.

I realise that this is not the decision most people wanted, but due to the situation I do believe it is the best decision that could have been taken. Please remember, these negotiations are NOT to discuss monetary contributions, but concerns with the development. Most importantly, if Crest Nicholson do not address concerns that have been put forward the planning permission is REMOVED.

Sis doesn't trust Cllr Elliot so thought that it was best to preserve what's being said, or written for posterity..

As it seems the political fallout from the tadpole farm decision is causing Tories in north Swindon to  now think of what they've done, is it an idea to get all their musings in one place?

With regards to cllr Elliott's facebook post:

What other parts of priory vale have been developed on appeal? I thought all the consequences he mentions like narrow streets and no open spaces was down to planning, not lack of it.

I do hope hes not scaremongering with facts that don't match up to reality?
Looks like arse covering to me, don't think its going to stop residents being angry about this, not if the feelings in the sisters neighbourhood is replicated across the rest of north Swindon
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:20:34 AM by Tea Boy »

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
Re: Monitoring what's being said by who, where
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »
I'm not absolutely certain about this, but I'm not sure that the condition voted through is legal. Normally you vote for a deferment of the decision if there are outstanding matters that need to be resolved. Given that the planning application is in outline only but the access roads now have full planning permission, this all seems a bit odd.

On the point about Section 106 monies - if there were to be an appeal, the Inspector still considers this as part of any recommendation made. However, the Council do normally miss out if the appeal falls. In the case of the Coate appeal, the reduction in S106 monies agreed to protect buffer land around Coate Water and to improve Coate Water was reduced by a significant amount and I do mean significant - over a million pounds.
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Monitoring what's being said by who, where
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »

Haha.  ;D

Quote from: Cllr Toby Elliott, Conservative, Priory Vale Swindon
"As it seems to have not been reported correctly in some quarters I shall set out what happened last night"

Translation from Political to normal speak:

"I'm outraged that some people have accurately reported what I did and said at last nights meeting of the planning committee. All Hail Rod!"

Toby, reinterpreting planning committee events is not as simple as airbrushing kebab-gate tweets to save the blushes of Justin Tomlinson and his mammy.

With only one months experience in Council and on the the planning committee, Toby has already allowed himself to be be placed into an 'interesting' position by his political colleagues, most of whom will presently be sharing out the marshmallows and roasting sticks.