Author Topic: Not Quite Time Lapse: A Kind Of Veggie-Plot Progress Update  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
I couldn't get out on me plots today - bad leg being one reason, wet weather being the other, but that hasn't stopped me having a play with it digitally.

As I leaned out of the back door puffing a ciggie, looking at my veggie plots and thinking about writing a short update it occurred to me how much different my plots already look from a couple of months ago.  I thought: "What a shame I didn't put a time-lapse video camera up".

Well, this ain't quite time-lapse, but it does show the 'then' and 'the now'.  The last few seconds of the video is today.  There is sound on the video.  It isn't me....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iPe3FRLUQ2o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iPe3FRLUQ2o</a>

05 04 2013 Remastered & re-uploaded

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:57:00 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Re: Not Quite Time Lapse: A Kind Of Veggie-Plot Progress Update
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »
Um, I'm starting to become concerned.

I think you are becoming too attached and when it becomes time to plunge Albert and his mates into boiling salt water you are going to find yourself unable to do the deed.

You may become exclusively carnivore because of an emotional attachment to veggies.

You need to develop some detachment or you're going to struggle for your five a day even allowing for tobacco which is, of course, a plant so must count.

Wotcha done to your leg?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34:05 AM »
Ooh no.... I'm looking forward to munching into 'em. That's why I'm raining biological s from above, installed slug pubs at ground zero and released Nematodes from withunder against anything determined to eat me veggies before I do

My leg: Got bitten on my leg, (I think), on Friday evening in Dorset.  I'm blaming a Blandord fly - mainly because of the symptoms but also because I don't like Blandford.  Rolled back into Swindon at 0100'ish Saturday morning feeling a bit rough and leg a bit swollen and thought I'd better see the site first aider for some cream or something.

Chap was pretty good really, by this point I was burning up, swelling up and was becoming delirious but would have happily kept on going on a pair of aspirin. F/A waggled his sensible finger and took me to the GWH where I was promptly plugged in and pumped up for a few hours.

Still hurts like a bastard. Worse than any of the 3 broken legs I've enjoyed and now 'it' seems to be travelling up my leg rather than going away... so back to the quack in the morning unless I wake up and it's not hurting and not raining outside.....in which case I'll be retiring the orange aircraft crash barrier and installing a nearly invisible black mesh up to keep the dogs off.

Or welcoming the inbound worms to their news home, mind you, they're coming via a carrier with a Coventry hub, so I probably won't be.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »
Ah, the Dorset Biter, we took a coachload of gardening people down to Abbotsbury Gardens once.  The day after it was easy to spot who had been with us, all had bites on their legs.  I swear it was the Bamboo Walk that did it..........or was it Exbury Gardens? 

In which case it might be the Hampshire Biter.  Either way it was this time of year.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:27:02 PM »
Or welcoming the inbound worms to their news home, mind you, they're coming via a carrier with a Coventry hub, so I probably won't be.

You scamp, I've always found them pretty damn good, track and trace is the best I get to use, me contract manager is a diamond as well.

was becoming delirious

How could they tell? (be fair, I didn't have a pop at swelling up, oh, sorry)

I reckon you're a short step away from wiping leeks with milk and standing nervously in a marquee as some 'erbert judges your brassicas.

Nothing wrong with that. Obviously.

My Uncle (Gawd bless'im) once gave me an onion the size of a bloody space hopper, he watered them direct from the River Mole though, his back garden was the land of the mutant veg. It was like being in an episode of The Land of The Giants.

Basically, I'm jealous.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »

Tbh, I've also usually found our national parcels carrier to be pretty good and only ship stuff using them or Royal Mail, but, no worms today  :(

Never heard of the milk/leek thing, must look now.  I put about 30 leeks in yesterday, I'd finally nailed the method at number 29 by which time my shoulder was really aching from using the watering can so delicately.  At number 30 it occurred to me that I should either: A. Put less water in the can or B. Use a smaller can   Live and learn....

The orrible orange net has now gone, having been replaced by a nice black, almost invisible, mesh with 1cm squares. Tia, (the youngest Dobey at 7), didn't notice the mesh on her first attempt to go digging - was quite funny watching her push her nose into it.  She must think I've installed forcefields :)

Gonna put a shed-load of spring onions in tomorrow.

I like onions.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
Project kitchen is now complete and I have been instructed by Mrs Mart (eternal radiance etc) that I will not be doing the bathroom this year (bath out, shower in, tile everything) and instead I have a Willy Wonka gold card for the allotment.

Capital expenditure on a greenhouse at home has been authorised, budgetary provision for an allotment shed is gathering support at a grass roots level with February 14th probably being crucial and seed ordering will commence this very day. This year's theme will be reliable basics (unless some sparkly packaging turns my head) mud free paths and on-site tea making capability.

Anticipating a significant tidying up requirement I have a week off booked (use it or lose it time of year again). You'll know when that is, it'll probably be snowing again.

Is it wrong to be moderately excited?

Chelsea have equalised, still way not good enough.

Beginning to think what's the worse could happen on the beer front.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:28:19 AM »
Is it wrong to be moderately excited?

No. Not at all.  I woke up this morning and my second thought was: "I must remember to grease the door runners on my greenhouse today"  ;D

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 08:11:48 PM »
I have next week off. Huzzah!

Budgetary authorisation has been received for an allotment shed from my eternal radiance.

The 4x4 greenhouse has arrived, polycarbonate jobby with a roof vent and doors. Huzzah again!

Best of all, Berlicum Carrots (nice picture), Danish Ballhead cabbage (name made me laugh), Courgette, Cucumber, Parsnip (for my eternal radiance and budget authoriser), a climbing french bean, Evesham Special sprouts, iceburg lettuce (organic apparently), hot chilli peppers, Broccoli, Giant Italian leeks, Copenhagen Market cannages, Igloo cauliflower, White Lady runner beans, tomatoes and beetroot (going to give them a try as veg, make me cringe as pickled) have all arrived.

Just need to clear the plot, which will be testing since Project Kitchen was conducted under strict supervision which did not allow for much wandering off the job, and get my hands on some poo.

What's the 'soil improver' from the tip like?

Poo, that's what needed.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
I've used the soil improver, well, to be honest we've tried it down the Orchard to fill our raised beds, it's not really suitable for that as its been used wihout soil to improve with it.  However it's growing a great cop of wildflowers and has provided good cutting 'soil, but its too light and whispy on it's own really. 

It seems a good clean mix so used it as mulch in the back garden, doesn't seem to have done any harm, stuff predicted to grow to 6ft is still reaching 10fit.

Beetroot from the garden, boiled, is much much better than pickled. Yum yum! I beleive it is also microwaveable - bit like doing a baked potato.

Have you tried sweetcorn?

Chicken Poo is what's needed........... highly recommended.  Pretty sure thats why the 6ft stuff is growing to 10 ft.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 02:49:38 PM »
Beetroot from the garden, boiled, is much much better than pickled. Yum yum!

I'll second what Muggins said. A  good while in a pressure cooker seems to soften the blighters.

A couple of years ago I grew beetroot using a whole packet of seeds. First into trays in the greenhouse, then before they got their roots entangled with one another, out into the garden. They looked forlorn little things wilting over somewhat when I left them that afternoon. I thought that maybe a 50% success rate would be fine.

The next day all of them stood, tiny, but proud. The end result was two rows of beetroot, all ripening in the same week!!  I suggest, if this happens to you, that you pull some up well before they are full grown and enjoy them as little miniature jobs, like the posh people have.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:00:45 PM »
Or plant the seeds a few at a time over several week?

I didn't find them any harder to cook that Taters.  I use the past tense, 'cause now I buys 'em from Tesco's in them funny bubble type packs - already cooked.

Goodness, I came over all Wiltshire then!

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »
Goodness, I came over all Wiltshire then!

Something I've been resisting for 20 years now.

Chicken poo it is then, used it before, one of the nurseries is knocking it out half price so that'll do for me.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 08:25:53 AM »
That should have been 'oye came over all Wiltshire'.

Do you known the legend of the Moonrakers?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
Right, that's 120kg (must have been imported from France, I'd heard they were full of, um....)of chicken poo. They poo really neatly in little pellets which is handy.

Got a load of seed compost as well.

Ebayed up a lots of landscape fabric and a shedload of peat pots.

In my head it's all spiffy and finished, I fear that in reality there may be sweaty times ahead and perhaps a short period of hospitalisation.

I just need to finish off mini project garage (inspired by the 34th instalment of where's my bloody hammer / screws / spanners / the only soddin Allen key that fits the toilet roll holder /wrench thingy for undoing the disc on me angle grinder / mobile phone / cat / end of the strimmer / dustpan / squegee / insulating tape / charger for the drill / battery charger / lighter / fags / Stanley knife / screenwash / 2 stroke mixing bottle and other sundry things I can't bloody find. Mini Project Garage is a most impressive 2ft deep set of shelves that steps up to follow the path of the up and over garage door. The floor having been underlaid and the old kitchen laminate floor being reccyled (think nothing of it Mr Polar Bear)

Days off are well knackering.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

Did my garage a couple of weeks ago. Always happier when my garage is tidy.  Be happier still when I can put the wormery back outside - the worm dudes aren't smelly or anything, but they are taking up 2' of workbench upon which I could be doing other stuff.

I've arranged some odd-days of annual leave so I have two consecutive long weekends coming, during which I'm going to be in the glasshouse and allover my raised beds.

I've even purchased a small ipod dock so I can carry on with my audio books when I'm agriculturalising :)

Offline Tig

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
Good job I didn't book a weekend away for your time of, oh wait that's because I have essays to write, 4 months to go :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Project Garage spawned Project Shed which then spawned going to the tip, a lot. At one point I was loading both cars and amusing myself by doing sort of relay Le Mans starts.

Garage is now two thirds dry lined with a wall and door in place, fridge, freezers and tumble dryer and bits of the old kitchen installed, needs decorating though .........

The other third has laminated flooring and shelving that follows the line of the up and over door, it ain't Chippendale, but it'll do.

Allotment is stripped, now wants digging and I feel a machine day coming on, my secret weapon is 100 square metres of landscape fabric so once the bastard weeds are gone they'll stay gone. Perhaps.

Today the shed was purchased and delivered to the allotment, I've got one of those Hertz / B&Q jobbies which I thoroughly recommend, 37 minutes rental, thank you very much. Also I feel well butch driving a van.

I had a Ford Transit once, V4. I can easily imagine buying another Transit one day, these modern ones have got loads of tackle, mine was a tin box. It finished it's days at the Lulworth Gunnery School following a catastrophic lack of oil in the engine, could never get the Corsair replacement lump running right.

That's my van, not the rental.

Then swathed in trackie bottoms, combat trousers, T-shirt, hoodie and fleecy jacket I didst erect said shed, at a push the finishing touches can be completed in the dark. Evidently.

I'm bleedin knackered.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Not Quite Time Lapse: A Kind Of Veggie-Plot Progress Update
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
Mart,

I'm well, well impressed but where did you put the U shaped peg spanner for the   Rotary Disc Cutting Tool Thing?
I was on a job yesterday and my metal cutting disc was worn out. I remembered your post so turned the garage over this morning. Voila I found my U shaped peg spanner and tied it to the lead on the tool!
 Do you do sub-contract garage sorting jobs?
What's it all about?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
No.

I feckin don't. No offence.

You'd have to marry me for me to even take the request seriously and you'd have to ask my missus for permission, or something. I've not kept pace with the laws on marriage.

I did find it and I've popped it back in the box with the grinder. I also found the instructions for the petrol strimmer so I'm hopeful of being able to rethread the line spool properly instead of watching 97ft of line whistle off over the horizon every time I, eventually, start the bleedin thing. Speaking of bleedin I highly commend using a petrol strimmer while wearing shorts. It's like having birdshot fired at your shins. Damn sore but I always do it thinking I'll miraculously be alright this time. It's quite cathartic and if nothing else you can do dot to dot on your legs from wound to wound.

I've also dug out my gas stove and kettle so I can do meself a brew down the allotment, the stove is a two burner jobby so I could sod about doing all kinds of alfresco (is that a sort of painting?) cooking jiggery pokery. Just reviewing my planting list to see what I could get up to. Soup and omelettes I reckon.

Beetroot and leek omelette ..........

Probably not then.

I could do with a loft contractor, before I wake up one night with the Chistmas decorations, a telly, standard lamp, fruit bowl, table, chest of draws and a memory foam mattress in my chops and Gawd alone knows whatever gubbins.

Can't imagine who put all that crap up there.