Author Topic: Worms!  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Worms!
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
In my original 'Raised Vegetable Garden'  thread Weeblman and Richard both suggested using a wormery to produce compost from all manner of compostable, (is that even a word?), stuff. (apologies for not mentioning anyone else that suggested a wormery).

I was a bit surprised by the price of new wormeries and decided to blag a second-hand one from eBay.  Then I was surprised again when I saw how fiercely eBayers bid for them and saw several of my bids easily toppled by punters willing to go to nearly 75% of the new price  :o

Patience paid off and last week a lovely old lady in Melksham advertised her 'Wormworks' wormery on eBay and helpfully included a 'buy it now' option for a very reasonable £25.  I snagged it immediately, fired off an email to arrange collection and trotted down there the following morning and picked it up.

Mine is the same design as this, but is green not black:

It was almost the same price to buy 1kg of worms on their own as it was to buy 1KG of worms, coir bedding and some wormfood - so I opted for, and ordered the latter but I think the Jubilee will delay despatch until at least next Wednesday.

More news, as and when.

Offline Muggins

Re: Worms!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »
Exciting!   :popcorn:

No, I mean that really is...........exciting.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »
Sounds like a bargain Geoff.
Must be the most cost-effective pets in the world. Of course the other good thing about worm-keeping is that it doesn't come with hefty vet's bills.  :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:01:34 AM »
Exciting!   :popcorn:

No, I mean that really is...........exciting.

It is! One more sleep and they should be here...  ;D

Sounds like a bargain Geoff.
Must be the most cost-effective pets in the world. Of course the other good thing about worm-keeping is that it doesn't come with hefty vet's bills.  :)

I thought so. Gave the wormery a thorough clean yesterday. Decided there were a couple of minor design omissions, so I rectified those.

Tig donated her old metal stationary cupboard for it to stand on and for my growing collection of veggie garden bits and bobs to go inside of - (it's also my old welding cabinet, and before that it was a photo copier stand - we know how to get the best use out of thing round 'ere).

It's going in a sheltered position, but today I stood it directly in the rain to see whether the worm dudes were going to be drowned if it rained hard from an unexpected direction - they're not.

Photo's to follow....

Oh, and another thing:  When this is up and going I shall expect the Rodiwick Pue's, Larry Gherkin's and Rustle-e-Dutch's of Swindon to refer to me as 'The Vile Vermiculturalist' at weekends.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
Pheretima sieboldi

I'm going to get a couple of hundred.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:58:44 PM »

Are they the edible ones?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »

I have worms.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
good day for it Geoff! Are you going to have a worm party?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
good day for it Geoff! Are you going to have a worm party?

There was definitely sommat going on in my green box[es] :)

So, what I did was......

Cleaned it all out thoroughly, well before the worm dudes turned up.  Picture 1 is of the empty bottom working tray - which is the tray in which the worms will start off in - which at the time the photo was taken was empty.   

Next step is to do something to prevent the worms wandering too far downwards and dropping through the floor of the bottom working tray and splashing into the liquid collecting tray/sump and drowning in their own pee the liquid fertiliser they've produced.  I read various suggestions on what material to use as a worm barrier.  Obviously the barrier must allow water and worm pee to pass through it but be sturdy enough to prevent the worms from forcing through it. 

I rejected the suggestion of using dampened newspaper as a barrier - it breaks down fairly quickly and worms also like to digest & excrete paper - and I couldn't find any of my weed control fabric, (which would have been perfect I'm sure), so I carved up a hanging basket liner and used that instead. Thusfar no worms have breached the bottom barrier and it is fulfilling its combined role of retaining some moisture but passing excess liquid perfectly.

Next comes some bedding material for the worms. I opted to use a combination of coir, (compressed coconut husk I think), mixed with some well rotten manure.  The coir needs soaking with water, (I used water from my water butt instead of tap water - less chemicals and slightly warmer and therefore quicker to be adsorbed by the coir block).

When soaked the coir expands to several times its compressed volume. Picture below is fully expanded with some added manure.

Then....the worms were added. This is about 1 Kilogramme of Denodrabeana worms I purchased online from Wormcity.

My Wormery, fully assembled and parked in what is likely to be its usual place down one side of Chez Reid. I may yet need to put a sun-shade behind it to protect it from the hour or so of sunlight it will get each morning.  At present the bottom working tray [#1] is pretty much full of worms and bedding and tray #2 has some bedding and a small amount of compostibles in it.

One thing I have noticed which I didn't expect:  The worms are quite capable of, (and already are), climbing upwards through the empty trays, (#3, #4 and #5), in their search for grub and/or escape.  None have escaped but I will be putting a second worm barrier in the lowest of the empty trays.  I'm not bothered about worms exploring upwards but, when I lift off, (and place on the ground), the empty working trays whilst I'm adding compostibles to the current working trays, I don't want worms in the empty trays to be escaping :)

Happy at the moment, will start to slowly increase the amount of compostibles made available to the worms over the next few days and weeks.

Wormery Components: Clickable thumbnail

** I need to add a piccie of working tray #2 being added to the bottom working tray - worms used in vermiculture are actually surface feeders and it is in the working tray containing compostibles that most of teh worm action happens - and this is the piccie I haven't taken yet :)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:40:31 AM »
I have worms.

See a doctor  :2funny:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »

If they were tape worms I'd be off to see the quack without delay :)

The worms seem to have settled in very nicely, already moving up and down through the trays with surprising speed and agility.  I think I'll be knocking up a sun screen/rain cover for the wormery though, even though it's in a sheltered position the liquid collection tray was full of rainwater and the bottom working tray was too wet in the deepest couple of inches.

Drained off, no harm done, no drowned worm dudes :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »
Geoff: "The worms seem to have settled in very nicely, already moving up and down through the trays with surprising speed and agility"

Very topical, sound like Worm Olympics. At least when you start naming them the actual names will be self evident.  You'll have to install a worm podium (and CCTV) and have a couple of trophies ready.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 12:21:19 AM »

I think, if the night temperatures continue dropping as they have, (4 degrees earlier this week), I'll be moving the worm dudes into the greenhouse or garage much earlier than planned.

They've been breeding quite successfully it seems, many teeny new dudes noticed this a.m  :)

I am going to need a proper sized compost heap/bin as well though.  Definitely producing far more stuff for composting than the worm dudes will convert.  Any suggestions?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
Yes, you can collect two compost bins from me tomorrow.  O0

I'll leave them in the front garden.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »

Damn, only just read your reply Muggins..... was/is this a serious offer?  I aak because I'm intending to add another compost bin soon.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
It was! Wondered why you didn't enquire!  They are 'used' but you are welcome to them or a choice of them.  One is very similar to the bin you have purchased and the other a simpler design with no shovel flap. I don't want anything for them, but whoever takes them will have to clean it themselves - chances are, that the rain has already done half the work.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:11:06 AM »

Okay if I nip up and grab one during the week? (presuming they're still available of course)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:20:50 AM »
They are, when it stops raining, I'll get them put out the front and you can help yourself.