Author Topic: Mayan Calander found shows Earth will continue for another 7000 years at least!  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/earliest-mayan-calendar-shows-no-hint-world-end-175153101.html

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Rob

• Area 51
  • The eye sees only what the mind can comprehend ...
Oops!
Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/05/oldest-known-maya-calendar-found-no-signs-of-2012-doomsday/

The researchers, writing in today’s edition of the journal Science, say the calculations project 7,000 years into the future. There’s no hint that the calendar ends on Dec. 21, 2012, despite popular belief.

... Popular belief is a misleading term ... this 'belief' is not popular in my 'circle' of aware minds.

Here you can gain a clearer understanding, if that is what you wish;
http://www.crystalinks.com/12pyrthoth.html

In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
So it might be worth me paying for 'cryogencic suspension' (is that what they call it?) when I keel over?

Offline Rob

• Area 51
  • The eye sees only what the mind can comprehend ...
Sure, if you have no concept of any other than the physical realm.  :azn: :argh:
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Offline Muggins

"Mayan Calender found shows earth will continue for another 7000 years"

Thank Gawd for that!  :clap: :hippy:
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
"Mayan Calender found shows earth will continue for another 7000 years"

Thank Gawd for that!  :clap: :hippy:

The Mayans had three calendarical systems. Fascinating tribe .
They were quite an advanced civilisation for their time.
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Perhaps they ran out of beads/stones/berries with which to count?

George Elliot

Did they develop compost? I would be interested to know what your theory is about why their civilisation collapsed? 

Offline Steve Wakefield

They may have been, but they believed that blood sacrifice kept the cosmos in balance. After painting people blue they were then sacrificed by removing their hearts. A little incorrigible don't you think?   >:D
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

Not only that if they had three calendarical systems, was that becasue they argued about which one to adopt and did the adopt the optomistic one? 

Why would we suppose that managing things as a community and coming to agreements was any easier then than it is now? 

Got to say I've got my time cut out trying to figure today out, never mind going back to ancient civiclisations - having said that maybe I would find some answers theere.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Not only that if they had three calendarical systems, was that becasue they argued about which one to adopt and did the adopt the optomistic one? 

Muggins

On a more optomistic tone remember for today it does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

Offline Muggins

You referring to the Titanic?  Bet I could out walk you on it - so long as its not raining and its got a full battery.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!

They may have been, but they believed that blood sacrifice kept the cosmos in balance. After painting people blue they were then sacrificed by removing their hearts. A little incorrigible don't you think?   >:D

I wouldn't know .... Im not of Mayan decent , so it would be wrong of me to judge their beliefs .
Is blue your favourite colour ?  :wink:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!

Perhaps they ran out of beads/stones/berries with which to count?
Ah ... But they all had fingers and toes! Didn't they  :wink:

Offline Steve Wakefield

You referring to the Titanic?  Bet I could out walk you on it - so long as its not raining and its got a full battery.

Muggins

What I posted
it does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
Applies to all of us whether in life or when we are  perambulating. 

Offline Muggins

Steve:  O0

Blue, didn't our lot paint themselves blue - back in the day?

What is it about blue that makes people so warlike? Or that other word for it - pugnacious?

That's a good name for a squashy faced dog - Nacious.  A bit like the young lady on the tele the other day, who when asked answered (I thought) Amiracal... Good name I thought, until it bobbed up underneath in writing.....Amirah Cole.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Muggins
Woad yes a natural blue dye and the easiest to extract perhaps we should have a festival in the town where we all paint ourselves with Woad? Do you remember when some of us were younger at school they used to paint our heads purple or was it magenta? Do you remember Gripe Water and Cod Liver Oil with Malt Extract all those much preferrable to the dreaded Iodine!

Chav
White is and Red or Red and White, Blue now there is a colour I can take or leave depending on my perception, but my least favourite colour is Golden Yellow. Something else about White that I find pleasurable is a white light so white it is almost blue a bit like welding wire. As an aprentice I had to do a spot of welding. You may not have been old enough to remember this when it was in the charts first time around  here is a lyric from a song can you name it?  :-\ 

xxxxxx xxxx
 burning like welding wire.
 xxxxxx xxxxx,
 how can you close and fail
 How can the light that burned so brightly
 Suddenly burn so pale?
 xxxxx xxxx.

In answer to the last line because some so and so not on bonus turned off the plant for tea break!  :tickedoff:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!

Muggins
Woad yes a natural blue dye and the easiest to extract perhaps we should have a festival in the town where we all paint ourselves with Woad? Do you remember when some of us were younger at school they used to paint our heads purple or was it magenta? Do you remember Gripe Water and Cod Liver Oil with Malt Extract all those much preferrable to the dreaded Iodine!

Chav
White is and Red or Red and White, Blue now there is a colour I can take or leave depending on my perception, but my least favourite colour is Golden Yellow. Something else about White that I find pleasurable is a white light so white it is almost blue a bit like welding wire. As an aprentice I had to do a spot of welding. You may not have been old enough to remember this when it was in the charts first time around  here is a lyric from a song can you name it?  :-\ 

xxxxxx xxxx
 burning like welding wire.
 xxxxxx xxxxx,
 how can you close and fail
 How can the light that burned so brightly
 Suddenly burn so pale?
 xxxxx xxxx.

In answer to the last line because some so and so not on bonus turned off the plant for tea break!  :tickedoff:

It was Bright eyes and I went to see the film. I remember it well as I was sat next to a Chinese gentleman who cried all the way through the film which in turn made me cry . Haven't a clue who he was, just shared the emotion.

What's welding got to do with the Mayans ?
Thought they were more the chiseling types   :angel:

Offline Muggins

From what you said before, Ii thought they were painting types.

Bright eyes, nearly had me in tears and still does when I hear it - not the film mind you, but because it was playing the day I had my first cat put to sleep and was most apporpiate to the occasion.  There you go you've started me off again, WAH, WAH,  :'(  :'( :'(

Offline Steve Wakefield

From what you said before, Ii thought they were painting types.

Bright eyes, nearly had me in tears and still does when I hear it - not the film mind you, but because it was playing the day I had my first cat put to sleep and was most apporpiate to the occasion.  There you go you've started me off again, WAH, WAH,  :'(  :'( :'(

Muggins & Chav

I am sure many others will have a WAH, WAH, :'( :'( :'( moment when it comes to this film, but it is a classic. Let us not forget the story and the area it is set in. I suppose we could have a :popcorn: :coffee: TS DVD film club session one day and all watch it together?   ::)