Author Topic: Then, it was like a light bulb went on in me 'ead.  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Then, it was like a light bulb went on in me 'ead.
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »
The relentless drive to see anyone less than 'comfortably orf' in a cold dark cave, or not see them because it will be dark, continues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17788178

I'm enjoying:

The DoE challenged firms to develop a design that gave out a warm light similar to that from an incandescent bulbs but was much more energy efficient.

Philips was the only entrant for the competition and its design underwent 18 months of testing before being declared a winner.

With those sort of stringent conditions I could win the London Marathon.

Anyway, I just spent £5.99 on a halogen replacement for the bathroom that makes me look like I've been exsanguinated. I hate modern light bulbs. They're expensive and shit.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
Re: Then, it was like a light bulb went on in me 'ead.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:15:44 PM »
They're allright if you've got an hour to spare, whilst they work up to full brightness.

If you're in a rush, just looking for your keys prior to going out?
Nightmare!
Proud to be gone

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
I hate modern light bulbs. They're expensive and shit.

They're a crap and a glowing example of why so much modern environmentalism is based on greenwash rather than logic.  :-\

I put incandescents where I need immediate light and fluorescents when the bulb is left on for long periods.

Consumers should be treated as adults, not children.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »
British Gas randomly sent me some energy saving light bulbs a couple of years ago. I have no idea why.

But when one of the energy saving lightbulbs which I'd purchased at my own expense upon moving in to the property (this was about 12 years ago) reached the end of its life, I replaced it with one of the freebies, and upon switching it on, lo and behold, my living room was quickly bathed with light, where the previous bulb would need 5 or 10 minutes to properly illumunate the room.

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

ph1lc

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
For the home - the best alternative I've found are a range of halogen bulbs that look and perform like normal candles and golf balls - thy use 20% less power.

Foe office and commercial use there are some great solutions out there. I've just had the offices at work relit with LED panels - they use a fraction off the power of flourescent's and the light is instant.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
the best alternative I've found are a range of halogen bulbs that look and perform like normal candles and golf balls

Blimey, I just took a swipe at the one I bought with a 3 wood, bloody thing just shattered everywhere. Where'd you get yours?

Sorry.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

ph1lc

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »
Asda = in use they're indistinguisable.

LinwoodKellon

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »
I had the light in my kitchen on for approximately 45 minutes.led strip lights  It is a ceiling fan light with three different light bulb fixtures. We only have two LED Fluorescent  in two of the fixtures though. I was in my living room and heard a shattering of glass. I came into the kitchen and saw that the LED Light Bars  base was still screwed into the fixture but there was no glass on it.

I do not understand what this could mean? It kind of worries me. Please help. :fence: