Author Topic: Whatever happened to the cafe culture in Redhouse?  (Read 9206 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Whatever happened to the cafe culture in Redhouse?
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »
I think the original cafe culture was Tony Blair thing and meant to be more town centres.

It was again, I think, meant to be a place where people could relax, talk 'engage' and linger long enough for hem to want to spend some time in the shops. i.e. get 'em in town and then keep 'em there longer and make town centres look more v&*%$*t.

Not only that it put them in mind of their foreign holdays (which is really were they wanted to be)and at the time it was conceived, and this is the hardest thing to beleive but true, in the middle of some years of drought when outside things were running high on the agenda - remember all those episodes of Groundforce when Alan, Tommy and Charlie were replacing lawns with gravel and recommending plants that didn't need watering?

What a pipe dream, and yes, it was misinterpreted - as usual. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
I thought it was to do with getting us to drink and behave like the Spanish or Greeks (have a few drinks and maybe a bite to eat and all in all have a pleasant time) instead of British binge drinkers (have a lot of drinks and maybe a kebab, puke in the middle of the road, punch some one...).

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »
I like the idea of a cafe culture, but don't you need more than 2 or 3 weeks sunshine over the course of a year?

I think the reason we don't have a cafe culture is that we don't have a cafe climate.

Also, we don't have 3 hours for lunch like Johnny Foreigner is known to have and that American tyre chappy helpfully pointed out.

I don't see what is cultured about sitting in 4 degrees while rain trickles gently down your neck and you sip despondently at an overpriced cup of foam with a hint of coffee, no amount of witty discourse would distract me from the fact I was cold and miserable.

We haven't got cafe culture for much the same reasons we have to grow tomatoes indoors.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:19 PM »
When do the bulldozers move in to rip up the grass and start chucking up the bijou villas  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:13 AM »

I thought it was to do with getting us to drink and behave like the Spanish or Greeks (have a few drinks and maybe a bite to eat and all in all have a pleasant time) instead of British binge drinkers (have a lot of drinks and maybe a kebab, puke in the middle of the road, punch some one...).

That too Gorg,

All three of you have it a nutshell (or two) And that's why we have pub culture

1 its mostly inside
2 most can chuck a pint down there throats quickly
3 this produces a nice euphoric feeling that enables them to forget the hours they have to work
4 and the liquid content of the beer versus coffee makes it cheaper.

It's blessed common sense!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
Homes plan agreed for Redhouse Village Centre.
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
When do the bulldozers move in to rip up the grass and start chucking up the bijou villas  :-\

Soon  :-\

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10325797.Homes_plan_agreed_for_Redhouse_Village_Centre/
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!