Author Topic: It's not just S106 monies that are being misplaced  (Read 633 times)

Offline Weebleman

It's not just S106 monies that are being misplaced
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
My mansion has moved from Moredon to Haydon Wick for the coming local election, but I was just looking at my latest Council Tax bill and see that I'm still paying a 'non-parished' precept rather than the one appropriate to Haydon Wick. So here's a couple of questions:

1. What extra services does the 'precept' pay for, and does it means that I'll now be receiving something for nothing?

2. Assuming that it's not 'just me', and that this is the same for everyone moving across boundaries is there a case where any one parish is likely to suffer measurably.

3. Is this another example of the left and right hands of our Berghermasters not communicating?

I know that perhaps I shouldn't be bringing this up because the Haydon Wick precept is slightly more expensive, but I feel should be paying my way before I start asking questions about who paid the bills for putting solar panels on the slightly north of west facing roof of the Parish Council building.  ???

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
Re: It's not just S106 monies that are being misplaced
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:15 PM »
Welcome to the murky world of local government finance.... Are you within the parish boundary??? check.

The precept in theory pays for local functions

Parishes tend to deal with local issues such as allotments, playgrounds, dog bins within the parish Some deal with parks and community centres etc. some employ gardeners and handymen to help get things done that might not happen if you relied on SBC or SCS

I Used to like dealing with the parishes. There was always a sense of public duty and purpose (the parish councillors were very much grass roots people and unpaid), anything you could do for them invariably was worthwhile and positive.

Certainly miss dealing with Haydon Wick and Stratton. Did a lot of good things with them.

Which is more than can be said for some Borough Councillors.

If you really want to know what you're paying for turn up to a parish meeting. I am sure you will soon be made welcome and your questions answered. Which is a somewhat different approach than you would get from Cllr Bluh and his borough council cabinet.