Author Topic: Worstest Jobs  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Worstest Jobs
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
I've got one of them calendars at work with an old word a day to learn, and then a bit from an old newspaper or such like related to the word, or not.

The word was blacksheep, which I thought I knew, however, in Harold Wentworth's American Dialect Dictionary (1944) it apparently meant to take another person's job.

What made oi larf (bit of Wiltshire there) though was the list of jobs from the 1881 census.

They were:

Colourist of artificial fish.
Knight of the Thimble.
Disinfector of railways.
Examiner of underclothing.
Invisible net maker. I'm assuming the nets were invisible rather than the maker.
Electric bath attendant.
Proprietor of midgets. Very fond of that one.
Fifty two years an imbecile. But that's me favourite.
Knocker up of work people.
Maker of sand views.
Gymnast to house painter. ?
Turnip shepherd. Where do I apply?
Emasculator. Mmmm, no I'll leave that one.
Sampler of drugs.
Fatuous pauper. Stylish.
Drowner.
Count as female.
Fish bender.
Goldfish catcher.
Cow banger. Questionable.
Running about.
Grape dryer.
Beef twister. Some connection with cow banging perhaps?
Random waller.

I love this stuff, utterly pointless, but I can't help myself.

Cow banger?

Anyone?

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Worstest Jobs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »

Oh deary me my eyes are sweating...

...'Proprietor of midgets'...

....BWahahahahahaaaaaaa! :)

Great find Mart !

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »
I found some more jobs to add to your list Mart.
Re Cow Banger,  another term for this is Cow man.  I am not 100% sure but I think the job may have entailed something to do with a slaughter house and banging the cow on the base of the skull etc.

If you look in the Urban dictionary it means something totally different of course  :wink: ( and no I am not being vile)

Here is another list
>52 Years an Imbecile >Artificial Scone Maker >Assisting at Mangle >Beef Twister >Bottie Washer >Bounder >Boy for General Purposes >Can Make Nothing of the Paper >Carrot and Mangle Salesman >Cleans Onions >Clod Hopper (Ft) >Colourist of Artificial Fish >Count as Female >Cow Banger (Ag Lab) >Curer of Smokey Chimneys >Custard Maker (Carpet) >Dead >Decayed Publisher (No Occ) >Describes Himself as Leaving No Trace >Disinfector of Railway (Oths) >Dog Performer >Driving Channel Tunnel >Drowner >Egg Breaker >Egg Cracker >Electric Bath Attendant >Emasculator >Employed with Head Off >Examiner of Underclothing >Fatuous Pauper >Feeder in Bump Factory >Feeding Boy to Printing Machine >Ferret Weaver >Fish Bender >Floater >Follows Wifely Occupations >Formerly Fat >Gold Fish Catcher >Grape Dryer >Gymnast to House Painter >Hand in Hartleys Jam >Head of Female >He Play All Day Long >Invalid Kings Evil >Invisible Net Maker >Keeps Own House at Home >Knight of the Thimble >Knocker Up of Workpeople >Maker of Sand Views >Negro Comedian White Eyed Musical Kaffir >Pensioner in Charge of the Magnet >Prime Minister (No Occ) >Proprietor of Midgets >Proprietor of Solution For Protection of Turnip From Fly >Random Waller >Ripper Coalmine (Blows Roof Down) >Rotters Boy >Running About >Runs Abt Selling Fish (Hawker) >Rust Attendant at a Lavatory >Sampler of Drugs >Scarecrow >Seperated from Head >Sick Maker >Slob Brickmaker >Supposed to be a Lady >Teacher of Wax Flowers >Tender of Charge of Cubes >Tool Maker (Screws) Wife >Travels With an Entire Horse >Turnip Shepherd >Unsettled Through Recent Death >Very Feeble >Watchmaker Master (No hands)
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENBRIT/2001-05/0988928911 )

Its the bottie washer and the watch maker master (no hands)that made me smile
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:16:50 AM »
Bottom Inspector.. Viz

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:02:41 AM »
Bottom Inspector.. Viz

Pete & Dud's "Lobsterissimus Bumbicissimus" - the worst job I ever had was getting lobsters out of Jane Mansfield's bum.

Who remembers that sketch?

Great list, Mart. Baldrick would love the job of Turnip Shepard.
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »
A commissioner from the Ministry of the Care and Control of the Feeble Minded. Recorded as have visited the old Catherine Waite School in Swindon some time earlier 1900's.

And I have some sort of ancestor - well I have his marriage certificate but can't link him in - who was an 'Herald Chaser'.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)